Motorhome Search At Dover (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Even more confusing is they ask you if you have ever been convicted of an offence involving moral turpitude. Any idea how to answer that (other than "no")
Yes, I have never understood that question. Moral turpitude: "conduct that is considered contrary to community standards of justice, honesty or good morals."
Surely that is simply the definition of being convicted of a criminal offence?

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Yes, I have never understood that question. Moral turpitude: "conduct that is considered contrary to community standards of justice, honesty or good morals."
That's most MP's excluded then ::bigsmile:

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
On one occasion we were searched at Dover, and the lady said, "I realise this is a stupid question, but I have to ask - have you got any knives with a blade longer than 4 inches." Then she said,"for the purposes of your answer, ignore any knives carried for eating of cooking purposes" Box ticked I suppose.
so did you whip out a machete and say it is great for slicing carrots? ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
The forms for visa waiver for the US still ask if you

"Do you seek to engage or have you ever engaged in terrorist activities, espionage, sabotage or genocide?"

Who on earth would answer yes? Surely if you are capable of any of those things you would also be willing to lie on the application?

Jen

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I am fairly sure US customs officials have their sense of humour removed during initial training. I've also seen a sign, can't remember the exact wording but it said if you crack a joke or something you would be prosecuted. :Eeek:

It's not a good idea at all...... however when landing in Denver I was asked if I had any drugs on me and I declared my blood pressure pills, along with the prescription.... the official laughed out loud and said they would be okay. In defense it was after a long overnight flight :)

My daughter also got a lovely smile from the immigration official when she went in via Miami cruise port..... he was so busy looking at her behind as she walked out of the hall he didn't bother much with us, just stamped the bits of paper and said "Have a nice stay in Maimi."

Not necessarily criminal.... could be even being a well known lothario!!! I once had an employment contract that said I could be dismissed without notice or compensation for moral turpitude (I had to look it up). One of the new junior staff members did ask the senior partner what "Moral turpentine" was.....

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Immigration officials are the first people you meet in the USA (before you pick up your bags), not customs. They have a reputation for being barstewards but whenever we have flown into Newark they have been OK. Some even chatty. One started questioning us about London and I got worried - turns out he was going on holiday there in a few weeks time and wanted to know some good places to visit. They have a shitty job to do, but as long as you are polite they will normally be OK.

Customs are the ones you pass after you have picked up your bags and who take the green form about what you have packed. Always walk straight past them and never been stopped.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
It’s to see if you are "repatriating" any illegal immigrants …then they can upload it to on youtube :)
An undercover journalist filmed 21 illegal immigrants inside a lorry being taken on to a ferry and into France. Most said they intended to return.

John Vine, former Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration, said
The Port of Dover exit checks were being introduced at ports from April.

Illegal immigrants leave the UK to evade deportation by the authorities here, but some are being smuggled back in to the UK after being registered as asylum seekers in Italy.

An asylum loophole means that, if then caught in the UK, they are likely to be returned to Italy rather than their country of origin.

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Customs are the ones you pass after you have picked up your bags and who take the green form about what you have packed. Always walk straight past them and never been stopped.

We have been stopped by customs (not immigration ) going into america on several occasions, they search and scan your bag then send you on.
Glyn usually has various bits of bike like crank sets etc that cause a bit off fuss but no big deal.
my mother in law has murder getting past immigration as the computer had a photo of a large middle eastern lady of about 35 logged to her details (she is petite, blonde and 65). They wont admit the error is theirs so wont change her records. She gets carted off to a side room for an hour every time

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The forms for visa waiver for the US still ask if you

"Do you seek to engage or have you ever engaged in terrorist activities, espionage, sabotage or genocide?"

Who on earth would answer yes? Surely if you are capable of any of those things you would also be willing to lie on the application?

Jen
I agree no one would but apparently.
" No, but I'd certainly like to shoot the fools who think these questions up" doesn't go down well.

Rapido740F

Free Member
May 30, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 Years
We came through Dunkirk into Dover last week and only stopped once at the UK border in Dunkirk. We were waved through by the French police and in Dover we drove from the boat and straight out of the port without stopping. Compared to last time when we had dogs and mirrors on sticks all over our van for ages it was a nice surprise after a long journey.

Mar 17, 2014
Redditch England
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I've taken a camper across to France several times... around three returns per year for the last 12 years.
I've only had doors opened for security checks about 5 times. Once in Dover some chap asked if I had any money on board and got a trifle shirty when I couldn't be precise on the amounts. I've also been asked if I had any knives on board. Funnily never asked if I had any machine guns or explosives! My experience of the security both directions is that they're understaffed, and those employed don't seem very active. The number of "clandestines" sleeping rough around and in Calais is alarming. Several of them must get through every day.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +

They must mean "Have you emptied your grey water in the wrong place or left the tap open".

Jack Russel

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stockport
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
We were checked on our way out but it amounted to a look at the engine and I think they checked briefly underneath.
On our way back tomorrow so it will be interesting to see if we are checked.
First time taking the dog so it might be interesting.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Two points here 1) As soon as they have declared their intention not to they are immediately guilty of making a false statement in the eyes of the law.

2) You would be surprised at how some members of the public take the mickey! When I used to work in a hospital it was obviously a No Smoking environment yet it was quite common for people to light up and when approached would say "I can't see any signs about it" as if that made it OK. Then when the signs were pointed out to them they would still ignore them. When gangs of youths would ride bikes inside where patient were being treated - an obvious danger to patients and staff they would claim "There are no signs to say we can't" and even 'smart' lawyers would say in court "are there any signs to say you cannot do" this, that or the other, have they signed anything to that effect? and use it as a defence. A bit like sueing McDonalds if they are not told on their coffee cups that the contents may be hot or that packs of nuts 'may contain nuts' It may seem silly but everyone has to watch for legal loopholes these days.

Wyn

Wyn

I agree no one would but apparently.
" No, but I'd certainly like to shoot the fools who think these questions up" doesn't go down well.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Joan and I were commenting that we used to see UK Border staff walking the lines at Calais and checking inside vehicles (toilet compartment, wardrobe and under seats). For the last 3 year we haven't had this experience. It may be that it is the 07:30 sailing so they are not on duty yet or have they stopped this practice.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
First time taking the dog so it might be interesting.

We crossed Dover-Calais Monday morning,border staff not interested,taking a pet does have it's advantages!

20150615_085445.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back