rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Has anyone any idea why they search motorhomes and caravans on the way out of Dover and not coming in? With the amount of migrants trying to get in I would have thought it would have been the other way round.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
they search for firearms, explosives, undeclared passengers, pets. it is to protect those travelling on the same transport and recover loss of earnings, works both ways. Explosive tests are carried out in both directions.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I have never been searched on the way out but nearly always on the way in. Will let you know, catching the ferry on Saturday....Yipppppeeeee

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have never been searched on the way out but nearly always on the way in. Will let you know, catching the ferry on Saturday....Yipppppeeeee
We haven't been searched either, and crossed many times. Lucky, because last time we were carrying a 20ltr jerry can of petrol for the generator.

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
On one occasion we were searched at Dover, and the lady said, "I realise this is a stupid question, but I have to ask - have you got any knives with a blade longer than 4 inches." Then she said,"for the purposes of your answer, ignore any knives carried for eating of cooking purposes" Box ticked I suppose.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
On one occasion we were searched at Dover, and the lady said, "I realise this is a stupid question, but I have to ask - have you got any knives with a blade longer than 4 inches." Then she said,"for the purposes of your answer, ignore any knives carried for eating of cooking purposes" Box ticked I suppose.
So essentially the question was (reading between the lines) "Are you carrying any knives for the purposes of stabbing someone?"

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
And always will be.
May not stay in the EU.
But will always be Europe

Reactions: JJ
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We haven't been searched either, and crossed many times. Lucky, because last time we were carrying a 20ltr jerry can of petrol for the generator.

may come as a surprise but they sell petrol in MAINLAND europe!

OK...OK be pedantic then:LOL: you know very well what I meant...

just questioning the wisdom of carting fuel on a ferry to be honest....

Not going to get involved in the geography but I must question the logic of carrying fuel in a jerry can on the ferry. Not only do you stand the chance of being cought and perhaps being refused boarding, but it is also a potential fire risk, it is also added weight and apart from all else......it is much cheaper to buy over there... Why risk having it? Unless of course this is ANOTHER windup!!:smiley:. :reel:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Not going to get involved in the geography but I must question the logic of carrying fuel in a jerry can on the ferry. Not only do you stand the chance of being cought and perhaps being refused boarding, but it is also a potential fire risk, it is also added weight and apart from all else......it is much cheaper to buy over there... Why risk having it? Unless of course this is ANOTHER windup!!:smiley:. :reel:

Fire? a bloomin potential disaster more like....

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Yes I worded it badly, I meant a 20ltr petrol jerry can, not a jerry can with 20ltrs of petrol in it. And to be fair, when we boarded we were parked next to a petrol tanker, I suspect he had quite a lot of fuel on board!

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Yes I worded it badly, I meant a 20ltr petrol jerry can, not a jerry can with 20ltrs of petrol in it. And to be fair, when we boarded we were parked next to a petrol tanker, I suspect he had quite a lot of fuel on board!

Thought that was what you meant Daniel. If that was me I would have tapped up the driver of the tanker and taken some petrol over in a gerrycan!!!! :think:
(Only joking folks!!)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So essentially the question was (reading between the lines) "Are you carrying any knives for the purposes of stabbing someone?"
Like entering the USA and you have to answer the question " are you a member of a terrorist organisation?"

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Like entering the USA and you have to answer the question " are you a member of a terrorist organisation?"
I always wanted to answer yes to that question, but figured after 9/11 the sense of humour wouldn't be great in this area! :cautious:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I always wanted to answer yes to that question, but figured after 9/11 the sense of humour wouldn't be great in this area! :cautious:
I am fairly sure US customs officials have their sense of humour removed during initial training. I've also seen a sign, can't remember the exact wording but it said if you crack a joke or something you would be prosecuted. :Eeek:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How is petrol in a Jerry can any worse than in the tank, Jerry cans strong thick steel , petrol tank , more than likely plastic

Reactions: JJ
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
they search for firearms, explosives, undeclared passengers, pets. it is to protect those travelling on the same transport and recover loss of earnings, works both ways. Explosive tests are carried out in both directions.
Never had anything on way out. Way in ,yes but noting to do with any of the above.

(y)

You'll be telling me next that my porta-pack isn't legal. :)

It isn't.
I am fairly sure US customs officials have their sense of humour removed during initial training. I've also seen a sign, can't remember the exact wording but it said if you crack a joke or something you would be prosecuted. :Eeek:
It does & you also get deported.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
How is petrol in a Jerry can any worse than in the tank, Jerry cans strong thick steel , petrol tank , more than likely plastic
Or indeed the 5 cans of butane for the camping stove, which are perfectly acceptable apparently.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Even more confusing is they ask you if you have ever been convicted of an offence involving moral turpitude. Any idea how to answer that (other than "no")

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back