Free Member
Mar 16, 2015
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Hello everyone, we are thinking of buying a sat Nav for the Motorhome and wonder if anyone has any experience/guidance as to the best one. We have been Garmin users for years but the the write up on the a motorhome Garmin seems quite poor. The Tom Tom looks better but does it come with Lifetime Maps?
Do they actually work in keeping you away from narrow roads, weak bridges etc?
Any help appreciated.
FP

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Tomtom Truck, which runs the same software as Tomtom Camper will route you on the most appropriate route and not necessarily the shortest.
As with all sat navs, a bit of local knowledge and a map book works wonders when used in conjuction with a Sat Nav

Only a fool ( or someone with ,loads of dosh) relies 100% on a sat nav. After all, its only an AID to navigation.

Reactions: GJH
Upvote 0

Short stuff

Free Member
Mar 30, 2015
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
30 years - on and off
Phillips Trucker Navigator (old fashioned map book) is excellent for planning a route in advance. It gives over-bridge height limits and narrow road info.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
We have a snooper (2500 I think). It has campsites, ACSI, camperstops etc in it. There are some missing sites, but it saves bunging in the coordinates when the destination is there.

Despite putting in our Motorhome stats, it tries, sometimes, to send us up inappropriate roads. Spent a fabulous afternoon the other week on some horrible back roads between Toulouse and Sarlat.

I prefer the Tom Tom system of telling you the town you are heading towards at the next exit. This thing just says things like take the next right or at the roundabout take the third exit (sometimes it's the second or fourth).

On balance a sat nav with in built MH gubbins has been a benefit so we will keep with it.

Dave

Upvote 0

joemat2012

Free Member
Jan 12, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I have a Falcon Navigator 7" version. It was one of the first accessories I purchased for my new motorhome. It cost me £299 and come with free Map updates (twice a year), which includes speed cameras and Pois. I like the big screen the map is clear to read. I can set up the lenght, width and height of the vehicle and it cover 48 countries !! loads of fun to be had !! It also has all the campsites and aires, Stelleplatze, LPG and motorhome parking throughout all of Europe. The customer services and update are done in the UK. I had some questions when setting it up and called them directly. I was greeted by a lovely man know as "Grandad" who took the time to go through everything with me and for me that is priceless! I would highly recommend this product. if you want to see more about it then there is a really useful website which has all frequent q& As
http://askgrandad.falcon-security.co.uk/
hope this helps

Upvote 0

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
We've now got a Snooper with a 7" screen.
Like many these days, you can programme it for a large vehicle with your length, width, height & weight & it calculates the most suitable route, avoiding the hazards that you've mentioned.
We like this the best of all the ones we've had because of the very clear graphics (you can choose from different map views and in the corners it also shows enlarged versions of eg which lane to go in, and where you should come off roundabouts) and audible instructions that come at exactly the right time and are repeated often enough to be helpful without being irritating.

I totally agree. Worth every penny

Upvote 0

Whiskygolf

Free Member
Nov 6, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Elddis flyte111 Barnacle
Exp
I'm a Newbie 01/12/2014. Caravanner since 1978.
I purchased the 7" Falcon sat nav at the Scottish caravan show it has proved itself a superb buy.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
A BMW one. :ROFLMAO:
Being serious, I think we have a garmin (Kenwood) system.
It gets us from a to b, but does have a strange habit of telling us to take a different route on return from b to a, which is weird.
Not as user friendly as the i-drive system and on a trip from Cambridge to Somerset, kept telling us to turn off every 1.5 miles (presumably for a shorter route) when as far as we knew, it should just be mainly M25, M4, M5, or aim right(ish) and straight on till morning.
We obviously need to optimize it - just be aware they are set up for cars/shortest route by default.

Upvote 0

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Ying tong, ying tong, ying tong, ying tong, piddle eye po,,,, etc etc.

The only way to go - with a MoHo - 7" Chinese sat nav. Cheap as chips and work superb with height, weight, length and has NEVER let us down - warns of weight limits, doesn't let us go anywhere it's too narrow and gets quite excited if there is a low bridge ahead.

Ok, you have to live with - Loundabout ahead, you are over the speed rimit, light & reft, in two hunleds yards turn reft....:LOL: but that's small potatoes in the grand scheme.

Also stores music, video, has calculator, and loads of other goodies.(y)

Here's mine and I would trust it enough to drive anywhere with the silver screen still on.:LOL:
Broken Link Removed

Trikeman.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
As you can see, there's as may opinion as there are different Satnavs!

So I thought I'd give one of the cheapo Chinese satnavs a go first - and I'm very, very impressed, they are an absolute bargain for the money. TomTom's etc may be better - I don't know - but the Chinese one is so good that the others simply can't be that much better, and at £39 it's got to be worth a try...especially as if you don't like it they seem to sell for about £30 secondhand!

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We bought a Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D a couple of years ago. Easy to use, good information, plenty of campsites on it, ACSI etc; But, I entered the dimensions for our 5th wheel, a bit over the top at 44ft x 9 ft x 13ft and it has tried many time to send us down roads only the truck would manage. Mind you, I don't rely on them anyway. Remember, they are an aid, and don't follow them blindly. You will come unstuck.

Craig

Reactions: GJH
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We bought a Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D a couple of years ago. Easy to use, good information, plenty of campsites on it, ACSI etc; But, I entered the dimensions for our 5th wheel, a bit over the top at 44ft x 9 ft x 13ft and it has tried many time to send us down roads only the truck would manage. Mind you, I don't rely on them anyway. Remember, they are an aid, and don't follow them blindly. You will come unstuck.

Craig
Sorry can't agree ... I must correct your last couple of sentences ...

Remember, they are an aid, and don't follow them blindly. You WILL GET STUCK. :LOL:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back