Free Member
Oct 17, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 679
Exp
Since Oct 2016
Can any of you lovely people out there recommend a good motorhome sat nav. Especially one that I can put the height in as I'm paranoid about heading down a road with a low bridge and not seeing or forgetting to look out for the height restriction sign. :think:

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
As a lorry driver and a motorhomer I have the height of the vehicles I drive on a sticker on the windscreen . I do not trust sat navs 100% so it's better to have a physical reminder. Some people will have all the important details ie height length and tyre pressures on their sun visors so they are close at hand.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
As a lorry driver and a motorhomer I have the height of the vehicles I drive on a sticker on the windscreen . I do not trust sat navs 100% so it's better to have a physical reminder. Some people will have all the important details ie height length and tyre pressures on their sun visors so they are close at hand.
Great advice and personally have this information on the sun visor.

In regards to navigation software, I use and would recommend copilot caravan Europe as this lets you input all your specifics (50% off at the moment;)). However, you will need to go in to the settings and setup road preferences and vehicle details for the guidance to work correctly.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Invest in a "Truckers" Atlas, and use it to double check on your route. Far better than relying on the sat nav for low obstructions IMV. Some sat Nav`s, My current Garmin being one, give narrow roads but NOT height restrictions, AND even then carry a caveat!.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No sat nav is perfect so, like any tool, needs to be used properly. My notes here.
Philips do a Navigator Camping and Caravanning Atlas of Britain as well as their Truckers Atlas. Basically the same (low bridges &c) except it has C&CC sites marked instead of truck stops. We have one to back up the sat nav.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Another vote for CoPilot, use on most devices, get the Truck version and you can be very specific about all dimensions and create different profiles, for example one with your trailer one without and so on. As its an app you just switch it to your new tablet when you get one no extra cost, and your tablet is used for a multitude of things.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have the Garmin Camper SatNav and, so far, are very pleased with it. Easy to program, bright and clear screen and, as the Caravan Club version, preloaded with CC sites and ACSI sites.

Only criticism so far is that it does seem to edge on the side of caution. I.e. It tells us not to use a local road which we have used before with the m/h. To be fair, the road is narrow and could be a problem if meeting a large lorry coming the other way so we accept it is doing its job.

Nevertheless, we have our dimensions mounted on the sun visor and keep our eyes open.

We bought it after travelling 11km along a fairly narrow road in Croatia only to arrive at an impassable low bridge which had had no warning signs until the last 300 metres.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I don't think you'll find a height restriction very often but it's handy to have satnav avoid any that might be on your route. They are not perfect though, due to poor data, so stay alert. My new Pioneer, using 'here' maps, tried to take me through an arch I wouldn't get through on my second trip but I hope that's an exception. Snooper (also 'here') would alarm for low bridges in the vicinity, even if not on your route, which was not very clever.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I reckon you have as much, if not more, chance of clouting a low bridge by using a sat nav that lets you input vehicle height.
By doing so you are putting a lot of reliance on that gadget and the mapping it carries and you probably ease off on using that road map you have.
Sat navs are only as good as the maps they carry and if a low bridge is not marked on that map there's no way any sat nav will steer you away from it.
As others have said, many times, use a sat nav by all means but only as an aid to a decent road map.
I since every time someone posts those words: " My sat nav took me.........."

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Garmin Camper works pretty well although it does have its quirks, like most.
Its never tried to take us under a bridge that was too low but it does have trouble with 3.5 tonne restrictions in France.
There are a lot of 3.5 tonne lorry restrictions in France that don't apply to motorhomes but Mrs. Garmin doesn't know the difference. She often tries to make me go round daft routes to avoid main roads in towns because of a truck restriction.

Richard.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Can any of you lovely people out there recommend a good motorhome sat nav. Especially one that I can put the height in as I'm paranoid about heading down a road with a low bridge and not seeing or forgetting to look out for the height restriction sign. :think:
As said by others,, do not get complacent and think any satnag will be 100% perfect !
We have tried them the main players.. TomTom, Navman and Garmin... motorhome / truck units. Bloody expensive and an awful lot of times bloody useless !
We now use a GoldBay thing bought off of fleabay for £32 .. It is 7" screen, programmable for vehicle size and weight and so far has been the best yet !
Yes, there are a couple of foibles but over all I am happy to recommend the things

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Even if SatNavs contained valid data (I'm not saying it's bad but inaccuracies exist) they do not tell you about garage canopies. I did think of putting a camera on top when I was 3.5m but never got round to it. I'd suggest that most people who have come to grief have done so when getting fuel.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Even if SatNavs contained valid data (I'm not saying it's bad but inaccuracies exist) they do not tell you about garage canopies. I did think of putting a camera on top when I was 3.5m but never got round to it. I'd suggest that most people who have come to grief have done so when getting fuel.
Mostly low tree branches in campsites!!!

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Sat Navs do help but how did we all get on before they were around??
I used to do Italy and Greece in a wagon with just Maps and didn't have many problems, if I did I just dealt with it accordingly.
The biggest problem today is that most people will use them all the time and are oblivious to their surroundings, then when the blasted thing doesn't work they don't know which way to turn off their drive.
I see it all the time with the kids at work, the other night, one of the apprentices gave me a lift home and asked me for my postcode......I said, I know where I live!!
Even if they know where they are going they have to have them on, another distraction in my mind!!

They can be useful though, if I'm going to Italy say then I'll get to within a few miles of the site and then turn it on.
Still like looking at maps

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Currently using Igo Premium Truck (on an android head unit) having previously used Snooper, both are fit for purpose.
Our van's just under 3.0m, I entered the height at 3.20m.
There was one occasion in Spain when the bridge sign was 3.1m, in theory ok to drive through... sat nav said ok too.
I bottled it and reversed back - simply too close for comfort !

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
There's usually a tolerance, although not something to rely on.
If you peep from a skylight or climb up a rear ladder and can see the underneath of the bridge when your eye is level with the roof, you're likely to be OK.

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I bought a s/h falcon navigator off Ebay.Put height & length in ,& so far so good. Always carried a good road map as back up.You can't beat a bit of common sense when all is said and done.I'd like to rely on the missus a little more for map reading but her sense of direction is second to none..( as in none ).:giggle:xx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back