Motorhome sale

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by paddynsheena, Oct 18, 2012.

1. paddynsheena

paddynsheena Read Only Funster

thinking about selling current motorhome to upgrade, how can i find a reliable value for motorhome? Is there any time of the year better to buy/sell.
    regartds
    paddynshena

2. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Time to do some research I'm afraid, have a google about for your model and year, have a look on ebay as well and pretty soon you will get a better idea of a price:thumb: and as I understand it spring is the best time to sell so that makes now as the best time to buy, unfortunately:Blush:

3. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

:Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh: Bob put you up to this didn't he

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

When you do your research on eBay, ensure you do an advanced search for completed listings, that way you can see the vans that actually sold and what they sold for. A large number go unsold, so an advertised price is no indication to the actual value. Most of us think our van is worth more than it is. :Smile:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Ebay research good comment, other bit very true!

Peter

6. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

Over the last 48 hours I spent most of it on the phone trying to achieve a quick sale on my motor home. I'd been offered a model I had always fancied at a good enough price to able me to sell mine cheap enough for a dealer to buy it for stock.

The prices I was offered went from downright offensive at the low end to nearly what I wanted at the high end. I suppose the reason for this was some dealers had a customer for a m/h like mine whilst some thought it was a fire sale.

So the best time to sell can be anytime if somebody is looking to buy your motor home it’s a bit of luck really.

In the end I could not sell it quickly enough and somebody else got a nice bargain with the one I was looking at, again right place right time and having the funds available to grab a bargain when it appears.

7. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

IMO there is no right or wrong time to sell or buy a motorhome. Caravans are a different story as caravaners tend to use there caravans mainly in summer. Motorhomers tend to be a more hardy bunch and as they have to pay road tax and insurance on there choice of leisure vehicle use them all year round.
    Autumn has always been a good time to sell a motorhome as older motorhomers are thinking of winter sun and younger ones thinking of winter sports.
    I personally have never had a problem selling a motorhome at this time of year...although I am lead to believe some have :Wink:.
    If the model is a well made and desirable van at the right price, it will sell anytime. If someone has just come into some disposable money and have been thinking of buying a motorhome they want it NOW, not wait till spring.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I sold mine about three weeks ago, first couple to see it fell in love straight away, no quibble with the asking price but had to finalise a loan by showing their pay slips to the building society.
    They rang me two days later saying they had been talking to their local dealer who advised them to wait for next spring because the vehicle would lay dormant over the winter and they could get it cheaper next spring?? then they asked if I would accept £3k less!!....

I went to a local dealer for a part exchange price for a 2013 caravan, he would not do a deal but put me in touch with a Broker who told me to sit down then drawing a breath through clenched teeth told me what the book price was.

I decided to hang on thinking the loss next year would not be so great but out of the blue I got a call from someone quite local who came to view, him and his missus walked round it, went inside then he popped his head out of the door and said "we're 'avin it.

He came round the following evening with all the cash in a carrier bag!! Incidentally two nights later I got a call from the original couple offering me what I asked for in the first instance, I politely thanked them for their interest and advised them to follow their instincts with the next van they think is the one for them, not listen to a dealer who was lining them up for a sale from him.

Bit long winded but the moral is there's a customer out there that just needs to be introduced to what your selling. :Wink:

• Like Like x 3