Motorhome Robbery - Fiat Security (1 Viewer)

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
I realise that one of the major concerns with using straps is the potential need for an emergency exit.

What about using webbing with a quick release buckle?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
The problem with straps is that they can easily be cut through, once the scroats have gained access via the often flimsy quarter light windows.

I use a plastic covered steel cable with end loops, which I feed through the steering wheel and the door handle (LHD A Class) and connect using a quick release carabiner. If the scroats do manage to open the door, it's not open enough to even slip a hand in but open enough to activate the Strikeback alarm. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
its quite easy to open a van with central locking , the car thieves have been doing it for a long time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Highwayman1

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
Im thinking of getting some of these...

http://www.vanlocks.co.uk/choose-yo.../garrison-deadlock-fiat-ducato-sept06-present

I had R6 `s fitted to my 95 Boxer because the factory fitted locks were/are naff and I needed peace of mind. Guys from Vanloc came and fitted them at the house one morning. Efficient and professional job. Cost me £300 but worth it I think, even with the age of the van it protects my investment a bit more than without them. Hab door has internal locks and remote alarm, and a maligned Fiamma `bar outside. Oh and 2 `Kevin` teenagers when we are out and about ! :)

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
It was us that got broke into in Slovenia I alerted Jim to how they got due to the simplicity of how they did it but did not want publish the method now I know how they did it I recon I could open any 2007 fiat on in less then 3 seconds
The knocked a little cash from front of van and ignored every thing else I do t think they actually entered van they just opened from doors used a pole to reach anything containing cash
At least 5 other fiats on same services such were done using same method
And before anyone starts yes it is my fault for parking in service area and even more stupid I forgot to set alarm dummy or what
Lesson learnt
Will I park in a service area again proberbly but will I forget to set alarm I hope not
Onward now to Croatia

Ps we weren't gassed

Am I right in assuming that alarming would have helped or does the method they use cancel the alarm as well ? I have a friend with a 2014 Fiat based van about to depart for his Autumn trip .

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I think the weak spot with all these extra locking devices is the fact that they're generally attached to biscuit tin thin door frames by a couple of self tappers, they need fixed with bolts and spreader plates to be effective. I doubt very much if they'd hold if you gave the door a decent pull :(

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Am I right in assuming that alarming would have helped or does the method they use cancel the alarm as well ? I have a friend with a 2014 Fiat based van about to depart for his Autumn trip .

The method just pops the locks and does not affect the Alarm. Deadlocks will keep them out and a door alarm will let you know if they are in. Using both is best. An obviously 'Alarmed" vehicle will point them toward softer targets.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I saw a clever device that was an extendable bar locked at the distance between the doors with a drop in pin. On each end a flat metal plate was welded at right angles. These two flat plates slid down between the glass and the door and the pin dropped into the hole. this prevented the opening of the front doors and if you needed to exit in a hurry, you just remove the pin and out you go !! It appeared small enough to store easily and didn't need any structural modification of the van. Also if you change vans, you just take it with you.
BUT, I can't find it online and as I don't work any more I am unable to fabricate it myself (which would be dead easy).
SO if any one can assist in finding it I would be grateful. But those of you still working, it would take less that an hour to make and paint.
Food for thought.
I don't like the idea of drilling holes in thin doors etc, but this was a good idea
in my opinion.
UPDATE:- It is called DOU PRO SECURITY BAR and it is made by Fiamma.
Costs about £36 to £40.
I will get one.

Mitch.

Last edited:

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Google fiamma duo safe pro security bar

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Get one of these.. brighter than an LED awning strip too ..
flame.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I dont understand why people are not concerned with the damage done to open the door and instead are focussing on holding the door closed with internal devices

just to be clear, the would be thief punches a small hole in the outer doorskin to release the lock. the only way to stop them damaging the van is to reinforce the vulnerable area. stainless steel plates have been designed to prevent this and to repair the damage done during a break in. costs about £35 per door

http://www.van-locked.co.uk/Shop/Vans/Fiat-Ducato-~-Sept06TOcurrent/ProPlate.html

Reactions: DBK
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Do these fit internally? Or are they fitted on the outside?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Do these fit internally? Or are they fitted on the outside?
under the door handle outside. loosen the securing bolts inside the door and fit the plates then tighten up bolts. very simple but effective

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Broken Link Removed

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
This way of gaining entry been a round for years we were robbed in Paris (Foch car park) in 1989, Peugeot 504 3mm hole & they were in, must say when I took the door card off they were millimetre perfect Broken Link Removed

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for the pic. Very unobtrusive. I wonder if this years Ducato is similarly vunerable.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
yes I believe so, will ask my mate who is a master locksmith next time I meet up with him

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Makes you wonder why manufacturers don't rectify these vunerabilities.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I dont understand why people are not concerned with the damage done to open the door and instead are focussing on holding the door closed with internal devices

just to be clear, the would be thief punches a small hole in the outer doorskin to release the lock. the only way to stop them damaging the van is to reinforce the vulnerable area. stainless steel plates have been designed to prevent this and to repair the damage done during a break in. costs about £35 per door

http://www.van-locked.co.uk/Shop/Vans/Fiat-Ducato-~-Sept06TOcurrent/ProPlate.html
Thanks for that but they're pricy for what I guess is a bit of laser cut stainless steel. Must start saving!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for that but they're pricy for what I guess is a bit of laser cut stainless steel. Must start saving!
having the door repaired or even the insurance excess is more than the piece of laser cut stainless steel. no doubt we are also paying for the idea, development and the experience like everything else. better quality than a great many of the plastic parts on a motorhome that cost much more. fairly easy to copy though and spend a few hours hand cutting your own version. I now I prefer to just buy such things ready made and simple to fit

as for being unobtrusive, you (and any potential thief) will see its there the casual observer maybe not. like many security devices, the knowledge you are protected outweighs the visual effect.

the only other way for the manufacture to prevent break ins using this method is fit a plate on the inside guarding the latch. wont stop a clueless thief trying it on and damaging a few doors to find out the latest, bestest version is reinforced inside. at least an external plate they can see will stop them trying

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Costs about £36 to £40.
I will get one.

If you have internal blinds fitted, it may be a problem using them with the bar in place ?

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Costs about £36 to £40.
I will get one.

If you have internal blinds fitted, it may be a problem using them with the bar in place ?

Yes it'd be impossible

Dee 123

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
Broken Link Removed[/Q

Does the passenger door need one as there is no lock on my passenger side. Also, do you need to remove all the panels inside the door?.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the locked side is most vulnerable but the passenger side is also vulnerable to attack. and yes you need to remove the inner door card to access the bolts on the handle for fitting. Not a hugely difficult DIY job

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
the locked side is most vulnerable but the passenger side is also vulnerable to attack. and yes you need to remove the inner door card to access the bolts on the handle for fitting. Not a hugely difficult DIY job

Thanks for all the info Big1. Going to order and fit to my pvc.

Cheers Al.

Dee 123

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No

Thank you for the info and might give it a bash. I did find a video footage on you tube on how to do it and it sort of looked easy.

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots

Was going to order heosafe locks, but this makes plenty of sense, so just ordered from vanlocked, £95.40 inc VAT and delivery

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
PP shroud.jpg Pro plate.jpg Fitted these today, complete with shroud on the inside, now they can't get at the mechanism to open the door

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back