Motorhome Registered Disabled (1 Viewer)

philstoke

Free Member
Jun 27, 2013
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
i'm a newbie
Hi, I am in the process of buying a motorhome from a dealer and whilst looking through the paperwork he noticed it was registered as "disabled", so I will have to send him my insurance cover note when I get one so he can get it altered.
I imagine the previous owner or their spouse was disabled, the motorhome has not been adapted in any way.
My question is while getting insurance quotes online and putting in the registration number, will it being registered disabled make any difference to my quotes and should I phone a potential insurer to tell them the situation
Thanks

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi, I am in the process of buying a motorhome from a dealer and whilst looking through the paperwork he noticed it was registered as "disabled", so I will have to send him my insurance cover note when I get one so he can get it altered.
I imagine the previous owner or their spouse was disabled, the motorhome has not been adapted in any way.
My question is while getting insurance quotes online and putting in the registration number, will it being registered disabled make any difference to my quotes and should I phone a potential insurer to tell them the situation
Thanks

If it was registered as disabled it was probably purchased tax free, now the disabled driver has passed it on someone will have to pay the tax, be careful it's not you.. Check to see the dealer gets the VAT sorted before you proceed

Last edited:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
it will have been registered disabled if the person that owned it got mobility benefits, as you can claim your road fund license but the vehicle has to be registered disabled

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
it could also be that the van was already vat paid at new purchase and it was then registerd disabled in order to qualify for the free yearly road tax . it is a straightforward process to get it registerd back to PLG or whatever the relevent class should be when you register and tax the van in your own name . regards garry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as said its straight forward to change it . insurance not needed unless you want to tax it . any vehicle used privately can be registered disabled . my artic unit is . i use it as my car . how big it is doesnt matter .
if its a mobility vehicle that really makes no difference.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Have there been any major structural changes made such as wider doors,lifts or tracking?Shouldn't make any differences to the insurance but it may affect handling or your storage.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
as said its straight forward to change it . insurance not needed unless you want to tax it . any vehicle used privately can be registered disabled . my artic unit is . i use it as my car . how big it is doesnt matter .
if its a mobility vehicle that really makes no difference.

Except that you can't change the taxation class without taxing it. You can't do a change straight onto SORN. Therefore you need insurance to change the taxation class. You might find the dealer does one of those 7 day deals, which would be enough so that you can get the real insurance after the change.

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Thats right about the taxing bit, but really, the disabled person should have changed the taxation class and transferred it to his next vehicle, tho maybe he/she is no longer with us. I have always found it easiest to take all the paperwork to your local DVLA centre.....what a shame they are all being closed in November. It will all take so much longer by post.:Angry:

Iain

Free Member
Jul 2, 2013
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks

I bought a Autotrail last week from a dealer that was registered Disabled I insured the motorhome and emailed the certificate to him and he taxed it for me and had it registered as it should be which he done at his local post office,
It made no difference to the price of the insurance

I hope that helps

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back