Motorhome pitch with mooring? (1 Viewer)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Does anyone know of a place where we could park the van alongside or near to a mooring while we work on our boat? This would be from the end of April. We do not need hook-up.

Canals are probably out as the boat's beam is 4.5m, and we would prefer the south of England or Wales. Boat length is 9m.

Any ideas gratefully received. Thank you. :)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Try a small boat yard and get it lifted out. At that time of year most will be putting boats IN rather than OUT. If you can get it ashore you will be able to do all the work required and save on a mooring. Some will be glad of the extra income. Just a thought.

tedontour

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2011
london
Funster No
MH
van conversion autocruise
Exp
since 1976
Does anyone know of a place where we could park the van alongside or near to a mooring while we work on our boat? This would be from the end of April. We do not need hook-up.

Canals are probably out as the boat's beam is 4.5m, and we would prefer the south of England or Wales. Boat length is 9m.

Any ideas gratefully received. Thank you. :)
try cobbs quay poole phone 01202 674299 post code BH15 4EL worth a try good luck :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Just a few questions;

Where is the boat now?
How will you move it?
Whats the weight if it needs lifting?
Mobo or Sail?
What kind of work will you be doing?
Where will it live once finished?

Sorry for the interrogation but I work with most of the marinas on the south coast and the major chains so might be able to help find you a deal that fits with your needs.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Try a small boat yard and get it lifted out. At that time of year most will be putting boats IN rather than OUT. If you can get it ashore you will be able to do all the work required and save on a mooring. Some will be glad of the extra income. Just a thought.
We are in a boatyard at the moment and the boat is out of the water with David working on it. However we really don't like it here and after Easter would like to be somewhere else. Ideally we are looking for an 'unofficial' parking spot that happens to be on the water - somewhere like a farm.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Just a few questions;

Where is the boat now?
How will you move it?
Whats the weight if it needs lifting?
Mobo or Sail?
What kind of work will you be doing?
Where will it live once finished?

Sorry for the interrogation but I work with most of the marinas on the south coast and the major chains so might be able to help find you a deal that fits with your needs.

Hi and thank you for your interest.

The boat is currently at Hayling Island.
By the end of April it should be moveable under its own power - sail and twin Diesel engines.
We don't want it lifted out again but it weighs around 5 tonnes.
The sort of work we will be doing then will be the internal fitting out.
Once it is finished we will be selling the motorhome, moving onto the boat and sailing off on our travels. Full timing afloat rather than in the van. :)

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Hi and thank you for your interest.

The boat is currently at Hayling Island.
By the end of April it should be moveable under its own power - sail and twin Diesel engines.
We don't want it lifted out again but it weighs around 5 tonnes.
The sort of work we will be doing then will be the internal fitting out.
Once it is finished we will be selling the motorhome, moving onto the boat and sailing off on our travels. Full timing afloat rather than in the van. :)

All makes sense. (y)

It sounds like you really would be better off on a walk ashore rather than a swinging mooring.
When you say twin engines, I am guessing you mean a sailing cat at which point, marina moorings will be expensive because they will charge you 1.5 times the berthing rate and as you already know the cheaper marina type moorings are cheaper because of restricted access due to bridge heights or access restrictions.

I presume you are in Chichester Harbour, somewhere like Hayling Yacht Club or Sparks. There are not many options in the Harbour without using a marina unless you are prepared to go onto a swinging or drying mooring. Have you looked at staying at somewhere like Fishery Creek Caravan site and asking the harbourmaster if they have a spare mooring?

There are always mid river moorings available this time of year on the Hamble around the Warsash/Hamble-le-Rice area but you will be stuck for parking the motorhome.
There is a campsite at Mercury but the marina will be expensive unless you can still get a winter mooring deal but they tend to finish at the end of March.

It might be worth talking to the guys at Wicor Marine at the top of Portsmouth Harbour as they might let you stay short term while you are berthed with them.

The other place that might be worth trying is Rossiter Yachts in Christchurch Harbour as I know there are static caravans there but not sure if they are connected to the marina or not.

If I think of anywhere else, I will send you a message. (y)

Jayco

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
England
Funster No
MH
Jayco Greyhawk
Exp
20 years
We have moored our narrow boat and fitted it out in Lydney harbour in the Forest of Dean.We have also stayed in our Motorhome in the car park adjoining the harbour. At present it is owned by the environment agency ask for the harbour master it was very reasonable at the time we were paying about £10 per week.

Reactions: maz
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
All makes sense. (y)

It sounds like you really would be better off on a walk ashore rather than a swinging mooring.
When you say twin engines, I am guessing you mean a sailing cat at which point, marina moorings will be expensive because they will charge you 1.5 times the berthing rate and as you already know the cheaper marina type moorings are cheaper because of restricted access due to bridge heights or access restrictions.

I presume you are in Chichester Harbour, somewhere like Hayling Yacht Club or Sparks. There are not many options in the Harbour without using a marina unless you are prepared to go onto a swinging or drying mooring. Have you looked at staying at somewhere like Fishery Creek Caravan site and asking the harbourmaster if they have a spare mooring?

There are always mid river moorings available this time of year on the Hamble around the Warsash/Hamble-le-Rice area but you will be stuck for parking the motorhome.
There is a campsite at Mercury but the marina will be expensive unless you can still get a winter mooring deal but they tend to finish at the end of March.

It might be worth talking to the guys at Wicor Marine at the top of Portsmouth Harbour as they might let you stay short term while you are berthed with them.

The other place that might be worth trying is Rossiter Yachts in Christchurch Harbour as I know there are static caravans there but not sure if they are connected to the marina or not.

If I think of anywhere else, I will send you a message. (y)

Many thanks for all your input. We did look at Fishery Creek but it was expensive and we don't really like big sites, much preferring CLs or unofficial farm fields.

I will look into Rossiter Yachts as a possibility. Thank you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We have moored our narrow boat and fitted it out in Lydney harbour in the Forest of Dean.We have also stayed in our Motorhome in the car park adjoining the harbour. At present it is owned by the environment agency ask for the harbour master it was very reasonable at the time we were paying about £10 per week.

Thank you. I will look into Lydney Harbour as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back