Motorhome Payloads

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

• Informative Informative x 10
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. OldWomble

OldWomble Funster

A good article thanks. It's maybe worth mentioning that the powers that be are installing weigh beams all over the UK (and Europe) that weigh your axles as you pass over them. I'm told they are very accurate and come into effect this year. The first you will no about it is when you get the fine through the post.

3. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

It isn't likely that you will simply receive a ticket - they will stop you down the road and make you unload before letting you go. With a ticket of course.

http://www.transportsfriend.org/enforcement/wims.html

I think that SV Tech did a FOI request for locations but were declined.....

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

How does that work then ?

How does it differentiate between a van and a motorhome.
    How does it recognise a tag axle and know the weight allowance for each or either axle ?

If its via VNPR then DVSA records will only show the gross vehicle weight, if any weights at all....not individual axle weights.

Unworkable iny opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DuxDeluxe

Apparently it works very well. It is an indicator to flag up a vehicle to be stopped (pulled in at a services checkpoint) and weighed. It does weigh individual axles apparently and used for HGV vehicles. Very clever technology and the principle is well proven in manufacturing. Have a look at my link above; there are others as well

• Like Like x 2
  6. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Why does it need to differentiate, an axle weight is an axle weight whether a van or motorhome or anything else.

Automatic number plate recognition cameras at each location will have access to the relevant axle weight limits.

• Like Like x 2
  7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Agreed.
    But my thoughts at first glance were, we know an axle can be massively overloaded but the gross weight isnt neccessarily exceeded.

8. matamoros

matamoros Funster

These things have been around for a while and they do measure axle weights but as far as I am aware they are not yet accurate enough to enable prosecutions.

As has been said they are used to flag up potential overloads who are then pulled onto a weighbridge, the locations will be near to DVSA weighbridges such as the one near to Stafford.

9. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Excellent. Is it worth mentioning that a trailer noseweight is/can be substantial and will have the same effect on axle and overall van loading as hanging anything else on the rear? With a Smartie on a trailer for example it will be 70Kg+. I've not seen it mentioned in any discussion about MH loading.

10. DuxDeluxe

Got pulled into South Mimms to be weighed where they set up a DVSA checkpoint - mainly because they were bored, I think. Well under, all round on the weigh pads.

@pappajohn I think that it is the individual axle weights that are their main concern - with HGV's of course. Often foreign registered ones.

The police and DVSA around here have had several campaigns going on vehicle weights and other defects; nice to see something useful being done to get dangerous vehicles off the road

• Like Like x 2
  11. OldWomble

OldWomble Funster

A VOSA guy told me that these new weigh beams are accurate to within 20kg at 60 mph. They are still testing them but after, I think he said July, they will not be stopping you, you will get a fine and points in the post. It's not just hgv's, it's ALL vehicles including all trailers...

The ones near me (as I understand it) are A23 near Bolney, M25 near Clacket Lane services, A27 near Fareham and A27 near Worthing. But remember, this is all hearsay....

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. DuxDeluxe

That is very interesting and clearly things have moved on a bit. It does concern a little bit that the DVSA will clock a vehicle as being overloaded and potentially dangerous, then knowingly allow that vehicle to continue that journey with possible fatal consequences for people. Would not like to see that one go to court with a decent barrister pursuing compensation........

• Like Like x 1
  13. OldWomble

OldWomble Funster

I was told it's not just here either. The same system is being installed all over Europe.

14. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

As posted by @pappajohn , I was not aware that DVSA had records of motorhome axle weights . The V5C only shows gvw . Presumably something for the future.

15. DuxDeluxe

Oh yes...... too good an opportunity to miss!

16. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Not too difficult in this age of instantaneous information transfer,reg number....... V5.......VIN........axle weights.......

17. OldWomble

OldWomble Funster

Oh no.. Every vehicle on the road has a weight plate, even your average family car and they have all the details. Some of it is in your Log book but they have ALL the details including individual axle weights and towing weights. And remember, it's not the overall weight that matters, it's the axle weights. 50kg over on any axle = BIG fine.

18. OldWomble

OldWomble Funster

Just to add, watch out with quoted payloads too. For example, my 'van is a Hymer rated at 4500kg total. At the end of my last trip I visited a weigh bridge. Rear axle 20kg overloaded, front axle 435kg under! So you could say that's 415kgs I can't use!!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Interesting one Jim and thanks for the link. However one question. In the photo showing the plates there appears to be three plates. I guess one from Fiat one for the Alko chassis and one from the converter (Frankia). I always understood it the last one put on, i.e. the one from the converter, that was the correct one, but you have used the Alko one. Have I been misinformed?

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. DuxDeluxe

Yes - weight distribution and regular weighbridge trips a very good idea. They sold my van on 3500, upgraded to 3650. Further upgrade to 3850 just about sees us comfortable - but we have to be careful if bikes on the back