Motorhome parking

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by knokinonabit, Sep 8, 2013.

1. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

What a pleasant change to go into a parking area and find a whole row of parking spaces designated for motorhomes. This is in Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire.

Yes, they want you to spend your money in their tourist area town, but how many other places do you go to where you are not wanted at all ?

Well done the local council in Bourton-on-the-Water. :thumb:

Now, if they turn this into an Aire, even better. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 5
  2. Melchior

Melchior Read Only Funster

Is it so bad in the UK?!

How much (if anything) does it cost to stay in the one you are talking about?

3. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

It is unusual to find dedicated bays in carparks but I have started to notice them appearing and some carparks instructions specifically say buy two tickets if you take two bays so I think councils are starting to get the message. Aires are not so common though:Sad:

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I think you're probably referring to the private car park in Station Road rather than the council car park in Rissington Road, not that that makes it any more or less welcome :Smile:

In some places it may be the motorhomes are not wanted (after 7 years research I can actually only think of one council which seems dead against ) but, in the vast majority of places, the reason why motorhome parking is not possible (as opposed to not wanted) is different and has a solid basis. See HERE (first two paragraphs).

Having said that, as more people approach councils constructively (as opposed to being insulting or whinging) more councils are acknowledging that the demand for motorhome parking has grown over the years and are making provision when/where possible.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Basically because very few people who say they want them are actually prepared to do anything constructive to help create them.

6. Archer

Archer Funster

When we went to Bath we found one in the town that would take motorhomes and rvs £11 for the day

7. Costa Warrior

Costa Warrior Funster

Hi,
    Slight change of tack. I've noticed more and more supermarkets in France now have height restrictions so that motorhomes cannot enter - especally Carrefour. I dont understand their policy - we want to spend money.

8. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Yes, I've noticed that too. Although only (on the ones I've seen) on the entry road. Often quite high, 3m normally but I'm just over that. I've always been able to nip in the exit route and park in a corner without getting into trouble.

I have seen more lorries parked in supermarket carparks and maybe the carpark foundations are not up to it? There will be a legitimate reason I guess, companies don't like spending out on something if it's not necessary.

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That's certainly the case with many car parks (private and council) in this country as they were built years ago when vehicles were less heavy.

10. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

The charges started at £2.50 for two hours, £3.70 for three hours and went up accordingly. We were only there for three hours on Saturday morning having stayed overnight on a CS in the village. (Mr G lane, Moors Farm, Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucs, GL54 2HA. Tel 01451 821030. £14 per night. 10 minute walk into village).
    The parking charges were very similar to the ones for cars and coaches, so there was no big price hike.

Quite correct. The park behind what used to be a filling station, but part of it is now an Indian restaurant. There are around ten dedicated spaces for MHs and at 29ft we still had space fore and aft.

11. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

Kings lynn have dedicated motrorhoime spaces, but why the hell ytou would want to visit lynn is beyond me:BigGrin:

12. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Living 10 minutes away I don't need to take the motorhome but where are the dedicated spaces? :Smile:

13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

14. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. Merle

Merle Funster

Keep trying Graham...eventually they will realise what an excellent job you have made of all those motorhome friendly parking spots :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  17. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

I live just outside rfom Lynn (not from Lynn though, no web fingers to prove it) there are 3 I think at the car park by the post office opposite lidl's

18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Looking at Google Maps that is Austin Fields as noted on the council web site.

19. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

Sounds about right, try to avoid lynn as much as possible.

I have trouble understanding the rednecks never mind the russian, latvian and polish:Rofl1:

20. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Chester's Wrexham Road Park 'n' Ride (£2 per person for the bus ticket, no parking charge) has a designated 'Overnight Parking' section with no height barrier. The marked bays are only car-sized but one has to assume it's intended for MH users. Closer to the town centre is the (more costly) Little Roodee Car Park which permits overnight parking, although the exit barrier is shut during the night.

I seem to recall Machynlleth allowing overnight parking (max 24 hours) in the main council car park near the town centre.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013