Motorhome parking (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
What a pleasant change to go into a parking area and find a whole row of parking spaces designated for motorhomes. This is in Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire.

Yes, they want you to spend your money in their tourist area town, but how many other places do you go to where you are not wanted at all ?

Well done the local council in Bourton-on-the-Water. :thumb:

Now, if they turn this into an Aire, even better. ::bigsmile:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
It is unusual to find dedicated bays in carparks but I have started to notice them appearing and some carparks instructions specifically say buy two tickets if you take two bays so I think councils are starting to get the message. Aires are not so common though:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
What a pleasant change to go into a parking area and find a whole row of parking spaces designated for motorhomes. This is in Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire.

Yes, they want you to spend your money in their tourist area town, but how many other places do you go to where you are not wanted at all ?

Well done the local council in Bourton-on-the-Water. :thumb:

Now, if they turn this into an Aire, even better. ::bigsmile:

I think you're probably referring to the private car park in Station Road rather than the council car park in Rissington Road, not that that makes it any more or less welcome :Smile:

In some places it may be the motorhomes are not wanted (after 7 years research I can actually only think of one council which seems dead against ) but, in the vast majority of places, the reason why motorhome parking is not possible (as opposed to not wanted) is different and has a solid basis. See HERE (first two paragraphs).

Having said that, as more people approach councils constructively (as opposed to being insulting or whinging) more councils are acknowledging that the demand for motorhome parking has grown over the years and are making provision when/where possible.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It is unusual to find dedicated bays in carparks but I have started to notice them appearing and some carparks instructions specifically say buy two tickets if you take two bays so I think councils are starting to get the message. [HI]Aires are not so common though[/HI]:Sad:

Basically because very few people who say they want them are actually prepared to do anything constructive to help create them.

Oct 2, 2012
Shoreham by sea
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm a newbie
When we went to Bath we found one in the town that would take motorhomes and rvs £11 for the day

Costa Warrior

Free Member
Apr 15, 2012
Estepona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2012
When we went to Bath we found one in the town that would take motorhomes and rvs £11 for the day

Hi,
Slight change of tack. I've noticed more and more supermarkets in France now have height restrictions so that motorhomes cannot enter - especally Carrefour. I dont understand their policy - we want to spend money.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Hi,
Slight change of tack. I've noticed more and more supermarkets in France now have height restrictions so that motorhomes cannot enter - especally Carrefour. I dont understand their policy - we want to spend money.

Yes, I've noticed that too. Although only (on the ones I've seen) on the entry road. Often quite high, 3m normally but I'm just over that. I've always been able to nip in the exit route and park in a corner without getting into trouble.

I have seen more lorries parked in supermarket carparks and maybe the carpark foundations are not up to it? There will be a legitimate reason I guess, companies don't like spending out on something if it's not necessary.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes, I've noticed that too. Although only (on the ones I've seen) on the entry road. Often quite high, 3m normally but I'm just over that. I've always been able to nip in the exit route and park in a corner without getting into trouble.

I have seen more lorries parked in supermarket carparks and [HI]maybe the carpark foundations are not up to it?[/HI] There will be a legitimate reason I guess, companies don't like spending out on something if it's not necessary.

That's certainly the case with many car parks (private and council) in this country as they were built years ago when vehicles were less heavy.

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Is it so bad in the UK?!

How much (if anything) does it cost to stay in the one you are talking about?

The charges started at £2.50 for two hours, £3.70 for three hours and went up accordingly. We were only there for three hours on Saturday morning having stayed overnight on a CS in the village. (Mr G lane, Moors Farm, Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucs, GL54 2HA. Tel 01451 821030. £14 per night. 10 minute walk into village).
The parking charges were very similar to the ones for cars and coaches, so there was no big price hike.

I think you're probably referring to the private car park in Station Road rather than the council car park in Rissington Road, not that that makes it any more or less welcome :Smile:

Quite correct. The park behind what used to be a filling station, but part of it is now an Indian restaurant. There are around ten dedicated spaces for MHs and at 29ft we still had space fore and aft.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Kings lynn have dedicated motrorhoime spaces, but why the hell ytou would want to visit lynn is beyond me::bigsmile:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Kings lynn have dedicated motrorhoime spaces, but why the hell ytou would want to visit lynn is beyond me::bigsmile:

Living 10 minutes away I don't need to take the motorhome but where are the dedicated spaces? :Smile:

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Just had another look - Parking for Motorhomes is available at Austin Fields Coach park - Link Removed

Keep trying Graham...eventually they will realise what an excellent job you have made of all those motorhome friendly parking spots :thumb:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
I live just outside rfom Lynn (not from Lynn though, no web fingers to prove it) there are 3 I think at the car park by the post office opposite lidl's

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I live just outside rfom Lynn (not from Lynn though, no web fingers to prove it) there are 3 I think at the car park by the post office opposite lidl's

Looking at Google Maps that is Austin Fields as noted on the council web site.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Sounds about right, try to avoid lynn as much as possible.

I have trouble understanding the rednecks never mind the russian, latvian and polish:ROFLMAO:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Chester's Wrexham Road Park 'n' Ride (£2 per person for the bus ticket, no parking charge) has a designated 'Overnight Parking' section with no height barrier. The marked bays are only car-sized but one has to assume it's intended for MH users. Closer to the town centre is the (more costly) Little Roodee Car Park which permits overnight parking, although the exit barrier is shut during the night.

I seem to recall Machynlleth allowing overnight parking (max 24 hours) in the main council car park near the town centre.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Chester's Wrexham Road Park 'n' Ride (£2 per person for the bus ticket, no parking charge) has a designated 'Overnight Parking' section with no height barrier. The marked bays are only car-sized but [HI]one has to assume it's intended for MH users[/HI]. Closer to the town centre is the (more costly) Little Roodee Car Park which permits overnight parking, although the exit barrier is shut during the night.

Dangerous assumption ::bigsmile: Parking is not the same as habitation :Smile:
From an e-mail I received from Cheshire West & Chester Council on 28 August
Cheshire West and Chester Council do have facilities specifically for over height vehicles such as motor homes and they are located in the Chester area as the City is a main attraction for visitors. We have over height areas at each of our 4 Park and Ride sites and we have a car park called the Little Roodee, which is designed for overnight stays and is popular with motor home visitors. We will permit motor home parking in other car parks where there are no height restrictions providing customers adhere to the restrictions that may be in place.

I seem to recall Machynlleth allowing overnight parking (max 24 hours) in the main council car park near the town centre.
Not just Machynlleth but various places throughout Powys. The Parking Charges pages on the council's web site indicate those sites which allow parking by just motor cars or all vehicles (which includes motorhomes). The TROs allow motorhome overnight parking for 1 night in 7.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Poole car park

We use the car park at Poole, Baiter car park, it's very large car park and has about 8 dedicated parking spots for motorhomes, it has great views over the sea watching the condor and other boats going in and out the harbour, just up the road is where they make the sunseeker cruise boats.
cost about £6-£8 for the whole day till 12pm at night from 6am :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back