Motorhome Parking web site reloaded

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by GJH, Sep 18, 2012.

1. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Earlier this morning Mel (Minx) suggested that I make the web site available again without further updates. As it happens, this was something I was already considering as a result of the many messages of support I have received on Fun, on other forums and privately.

So, I have just reloaded the web site. It does, now, have a limited life though - just under two years until the domain registration expires.

In the meantime (if it is a resource for which there is a real need) I hope someone else might feel able to grasp the nettle, do the necessary research and create an alternative/replacement - and there is no reason why that might not be a better site.

• Like Like x 22
  2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Graham, lets have a chat at the weekend:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

No doubt we will :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  4. keith

keith Funster

Graham,I'm really glad that you have decided to continue. I know you must be disappointed but clearly many funsters seem to be missing your site, and to continue shows the other low life your determination not to be beaten. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Beginning to sound like a DFS Furniture Sale "Must end soon" so it can start again tomorrow:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Fear not Keith looks like that capitalist Jim is moving in for the kill
    Hold out for 6.5 Million Graham:thumb::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  7. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Graham - I have a web hosting account that I'd be more than happy to put at your disposal for free if needed. What you've started should most definitely continue in some form or other. God knows I struggle to find time to update my own little corner of the interweb, but it would be sad to think all your effort would fade to nothing.

Keep me posted if required.

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Thanks. Hosting isn't a problem at all. What takes the effort is the research into and communication with around 400 local authorities and other organisations, both initial data gathering and keeping it up to date.

The most elegant solution would be for local authorities to publish motorhome parking information on their own web sites - the type of thing I used to encourage when working as a FoI officer. Some councils (rather more than 6 years ago) now do so but by no means all. That means that if it is to be done then some individual has to do it as any web site with any commercial connection would have to take out a RoPSI licence with each authority - and at around 50 quid a throw that would become expensive :Smile:

9. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Blimey Sundance, FREE BEER, grab it whilst you can,,, if you get there Thursday bag us a few crates,,,

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

So long as it's the real ale bar and not that fizzy bottled continental stuff :Laughing:

11. nifty fifty

nifty fifty Funster

i to have used your site and found it very usefull thank you:thumb:
    maybe you could consider help from area reps !! i dont have time to fully take something like this on but will be happy to help under your guidence with some of the donkey work if this helps
    glyn

• Like Like x 1
  12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Thanks Glyn. I've looked at a system of area reps in the past but it's not proved practical - but maybe somebody else would have a better idea than I of how to run such a scheme :Smile:

13. Fermenter

Fermenter Read Only Funster

Can you let me have the URL please? :Smile:

14. f6c

f6c Funster

Many thanks Graham:Wink:

15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

16. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

I wouldn't let the domain expire Graham, I have no doubt that the domain "Motorhome Parking" is worth a few quid, I would estimate in the region of £500 at least for the name alone but probably more depending on the nature of the buyer.

Directory sites, clubs and so forth are springing uk which provide no real content - such as UK Aires etc. Motorhome Parking has a "Page Rank" of 3 which is excellent - that's as high as Motorhome Fun's home page! Carefully managed and monitised (not charging users, or overt advertising) it could be a nice little earner for someone ;)

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Flattering to think the domain is worth a few quid but it would only be the domain name, not the content.

As mentioned earlier, commercial exploitation of the information would result in the site being massively more expensive too run. Any commercial connection would necessitate taking out a RoPSI licence with each authority - and at around 50 quid a throw for each of about 400 authorities that would become expensive :BigGrin: