Motorhome Paint Seal

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Andrew Rchardson, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Andrew Rchardson

Andrew Rchardson Funster

With my previous Motorhome which was a Swift Kontiki , when it was new I had PaintSeal Direct applied as I felt it would be too big a van to polish given my limited time available..

The sealer applied to my Swift was the old product, after two years the water stopped beading all credit to Painseal on two occasions came and reapplied the sealer. One of these occasions was I forgot to tell the garage doing the HAB service it not to wash.

The Swift had new Buck Hyde seats in cream , on many occasions my kids dropped chocolate on then and even blood and it came straight off using a special spray.

My post is any anybody used the new Painseal Gen Ex ceramic sealers, I am being offered.for my new Bursrner the new sealer.

Has anybody had any experience of any of the other sealers that are out there.

2. pyro

pyro Funster

There are many variants of such products out there. We have used Guardex at great cost, and it's, well, OK.

We had a bit of damage done to a new car last year, that had just been treated with Guardex at £390 by the dealer. When we asked Guardex to supply a bottle of their "accident touch up kit", they told us that they wouldn't deal direct with the public, and the dealer cost was £120 to polish a single rear panel. Our local paint shop then asked on our behalf, and the kit was £32 "trade". Kind of says it all, doesn't it. I've come to the conclusion that this product, at least, is just someone selling magic beans. Won't be fooled again

Whenever I speak with paint experts they all tell me that these sort of products are really not worth the money, and just a good waxing once a year with Autoglym should be sufficient, and always to wipe off after washing down with a squeegee and chamois leather.

Someone here will be able to give us the low down

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Xabia

Xabia Funster

I don't think you can beat Autoglym
    Super resin polish followed by their Extra gloss protection which puts a protective coating over the wax so you only have to shampoo the motorhome to remove the dirt which hasn't become ingrained in the wax.

4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

just magic beans as already said. I use MER resin polish which does exactly the same at a fraction of the cost

5. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Agree completely. 20 plus years in the business tells me firmly that these sealants are complete and utter kings new clothes.

When I say agree completely I lied. Sorry my mate but MER is a light cutting old fashion and dusty polish. It offers zero paint protection as it has zero properties in that can do this. You may see a difference in the way the vehicle sheds water after giving your vehicle a light polish with it but that is because you have altered the properties of the surface by doing that polish.

Top end car retailers in Worcester used to offer a paint protection for nigh on 400 quid. We used to get free samples of it for free or we could buy the product for 5 nicker a throw. The products were and are hopeless with limited durability.

Sorry its just the way it is ..

Again my apologies but if we are talking Autoglym its likely we are talking SRP ? Super Resin Polish ? Again this is a very light cutting polish and does not offer any protection.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

I can remember being told by someone in the motor trade that what they charged £500 for actually cost them £25 plus a couple of hours work for their car washer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Unfortunately Bob you were told right.

I kinda sit on a double edged sword here sometimes as the very last thing I ever want to do is upset someone who has shelled out got expensive products. But if I say nowt then someone else could easily end up paying out hard earned cash for no gains.

Sorry to be the one who says this stuff is rubbish !

8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I used to sell a paint sealant for about £7 a bottle (sadly no longer imported) virtually the same as dealers use and charge you £300-£400 for, not bad for an hours work treating a car no wonder they like talking customers into it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. FJmike

FJmike Funster

I have always thought that sealers are unsuitable for motorhomes as apart from van conversions they are made from materials that are designed to flex and sealers aren't. Which if the sealer lasts will result in the sealer cracking, which can be a right swine to correct. A customer of mine worked out that the price of a sealer was the same as getting me to wax his van once a year for three plus years, so thought the sealer a bad purchase

10. pyro

pyro Funster

I reckon if sealers worked that well, they would use them on boats.

• Like Like x 1