Motorhome on rented property driveway (1 Viewer)

barneythebear

Free Member
Mar 3, 2010
lincoln
Funster No
MH
highline
Exp
3 years
Hi good people,

I keep my motorhome on a friend driveway because where i live its permit parking and they will not give me a permit because of the weight !
Hes just told me his landlord does like it on they drive and it needs to be moved !
so question is ...can a landlord tell dictate what u can have on your drive way ?
surely u have tennets rights ..surely it like him saying what u can or cant keep in the shed !!
:Doh:

ps its not blocking out any light its just a motorhome non motorhomers seem to hate them in my view !!

pps i had a row with the council once because they didnt like it either !!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but yes, the landlord can prevent parking of certain vehicles. A number of councils have that sort of condition in their tenancy agreements.

It's basically the same as you are experiencing at home because of the weight.

Graham

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
No Idea but I wonder if your friend has had second thoughts and is using the landlord excuse instead of upsetting you

stew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

barneythebear

Free Member
Mar 3, 2010
lincoln
Funster No
MH
highline
Exp
3 years
yep thats exactly what i thought !! oh well i will talk to them first but i cant acuse them of lying , i will just have to find somewhere else :cry:

OP
OP
B

barneythebear

Free Member
Mar 3, 2010
lincoln
Funster No
MH
highline
Exp
3 years
thanks for the link btw about parking :Smile:

i cant be the first person whos had run ins with the non motorhoming popualation !!:winky:

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
I would ask the council to provide proof (freedom of information act) of the wording of the regulation that forbids the parking of a weighted vehicle. Maybe just a jobswotth with an "opinion", not enforceable.

Seek legal advice using your Legal Expenses insurance ?

In my experience width. or bay length may be an issue due to resticted road width or access, but never a weight restriction (unless getting to HGV status ?)

Rgds

OP
OP
B

barneythebear

Free Member
Mar 3, 2010
lincoln
Funster No
MH
highline
Exp
3 years
i hear what your saying i have a leafet from lincoln council titled "residents parking scheme operating conditions" and inside states

permits are issued to a particular for a resident who owns a car , motorcycle ,or light van(up to 30 cwt , 1525 kg unladen weight) permits are not issued for passenger service vehicles , heavygoods , cavavans or trailers.

might have a case !!!:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I rent out a couple of houses and i dont mind mh or caravans on drives but one of the houses i have has it in the deeds no caravans so may have same for mh on his. When you rent houses out you want to keep on the neighbours good side so if one moaned to me about caravan or mh then i would ask my tennant to remove it.

In saying that we keep ours on the drive of our own house and if anyone did complain id put my friends on too :roflmto:

Gerry

teensvan

Free Member
Jul 25, 2009
Fulltime in Motorhome
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi.

I have been a landlord for a good few years and would not let any tenant to park any vehicle other than a car or small van on any of the driveways.

steve & ann. --------- teensvan

OP
OP
B

barneythebear

Free Member
Mar 3, 2010
lincoln
Funster No
MH
highline
Exp
3 years
In saying that we keep ours on the drive of our own house and if anyone did complain id put my friends on too :roflmto:

lol gerry if they do complain remember me i have one i need to move sharp

:Doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I would ask the council to provide proof (freedom of information act) of the wording of the regulation that forbids the parking of a weighted vehicle. Maybe just a jobswotth with an "opinion", not enforceable.

Seek legal advice using your Legal Expenses insurance ?

In my experience width. or bay length may be an issue due to resticted road width or access, but never a weight restriction (unless getting to HGV status ?)

Rgds

As a former FoI officer in local government I would always encourage people to use the FoI Act to ensure that information provided is accurate (unless that proof has already been obtained - as it seems to have been in this case (see below)).

I do find it annoying, though, to see what appears to be an automatic assumption that the person providing the information is a "jobsworth" when there is absolutely no indication, never mind proof, that such is the case.

i hear what your saying i have a leafet from lincoln council titled "residents parking scheme operating conditions" and inside states

permits are issued to a particular for a resident who owns a car , motorcycle ,or light van(up to 30 cwt , 1525 kg unladen weight) permits are not issued for passenger service vehicles , heavygoods , cavavans or trailers.

might have a case !!!:thumb:

Sorry Barney but if your vehicle is heavier than 1525 Kg then the only way that you would have a case would be to show that the order governing the permit is illegal or unreasonably discriminatory. Your course would be through the council's complaints procedure and the Local Government Ombudsman but, frankly, I think you would be wasting your time to pursue it.

Graham

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
As a landlord this kind of thing annoys me....................a lot. :Angry:

Tenants seem to forget exactly whos house it is, as a tenant you are buying the time you occupy the house, the house still belongs to the owner and as the owner they can say what is and isnt allowed on their property (is there a clause in your agreement forbidding the keeping of pets for instance??).

If the parking of your m/h is an issue and its causing you problems why not put it into secure storage and keep everyone happy??? :thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
As a landlord this kind of thing annoys me....................a lot. :Angry:

Tenants seem to forget exactly whos house it is, as a tenant you are buying the time you occupy the house, the house still belongs to the owner and as the owner they can say what is and isnt allowed on their property (is there a clause in your agreement forbidding the keeping of pets for instance??).

If the parking of your m/h is an issue and its causing you problems why not put it into secure storage and keep everyone happy??? :thumb:

I was thinking the same thing Dazzer.
Its not even the O.P's drive way , as ive read it , its his friends rented house ?
Put it in storage.
Just because its your pride and joy , doesn't mean people are jealous of you, it or your hobby either.
I'm a MH owner , and I'm sorry , I wouldn't want to be looking out at a big white slab everyday either.
If its down the side , out of the way , or at the back of a property it wouldn't bother me. Because of this reason we keep ours in storage.

Bev

jakeontour

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
In front of this computer when I should be out in
Funster No
The 'van will weigh at least 3.5 tonne. Most domestic driveways are constructed to take cars weighing about 1.5 tonne. So it's almost certain that your 'van will damage the landlord's driveway leaving him with a huge repair bill. Are you or your friend going to volunteer to pay?

OP
OP
B

barneythebear

Free Member
Mar 3, 2010
lincoln
Funster No
MH
highline
Exp
3 years
thanks for all your replys

I will be taking my van to secure site , it was just easyier and alot closer
to keep it at a friends house and pay him and i could work on it easyier..

thanks for the info regarding concete weights i didnt know that so i will be moving it sharpest before the driveway starts cracking :Doh:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Have a word around your area, there may be some workshops or barns to let, or storage that give you access. As long as your friend and his landlord know you are arranging its' removal, i am sure they will give you a week or two grace.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
thanks for all your replys

I will be taking my van to secure site , it was just easyier and alot closer
to keep it at a friends house and pay him and i could work on it easyier..

thanks for the info regarding concete weights i didnt know that so i will be moving it sharpest before the driveway starts cracking :Doh:

Is this not subletting by your mate letting out the driveway? I am not really surprised he is in trouble with the landlord look at it from the houseowners/landlords point of view

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Friends of ours who have a caravan and moved a little while ago, having very first established it was OK for the caravan to be parked on the front because there could be by-laws and of course the owner would have the right to stipulate this, was complained at by an officious neighbour (who doesn't live even adjacent!) who they told they had checked forst but would double check, thank you.

So they did double check and asked for it in writing, then took the response which stated the agent had double checked with the council and the owner too, round to the geezers house so he could see, and he wasn't at all happy.

It's a very neat, clean caravan. Nobody has to look out on a slab except them, if they choose to look at certain angles, but would have to contort themselves if they wanted to anyway!

I was quite happy with our caravan halfway across our bedroom window, if we accidentally didn't draw the curtains at least it stopped anyone at the bus-stop outside the house seeing us naked!!! - have to remember now as unfortunately we can't get the m'home into the same spot!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back