Motorhome music systems

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by LickeyEndBlues, Sep 23, 2013.

1. LickeyEndBlues

LickeyEndBlues Read Only Funster

One of the things that really bugs me is a music player that runs for an hour at a time. The California is like that - are motorhomes or is the music system powered via the leisure battery?

Secondly - has anyone upgraded their systems to encompass iPod/or other storage media?

Cheers

2. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

We use a Bose Portable I-Pod Dock, both at home and when we are away in the van. It is battery operated and can be charged from both a 240 volt supply and a 12 volt cigarette lighter socket. The battery can last from 5-6 hours the sound quality is superb.

Brisey.

• Like Like x 7
  3. pendy

pendy Read Only Funster

Got an AUX fitted in my glovebox lead from this into my S4 and our own choice of music played through speakers fitted in van, works great!!:thumb::thumb:

4. Paramotormanal

Paramotormanal Read Only Funster

We bought a Dr Dre beatbox that connects to your phone luckily for the rest of you we wild camp at our local airfield where AC/DC ,Iron Maiden and others shake the van lol and there is no one around for miles to annoy :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3
  5. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

The trouble with listening to someone elses quality sound system is that you realise how poor your own system is. Hence we now have a Bose sound link bluetooth speaker. Rechargeable 12v/240v. Beautiful sound quality.:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Radio

My

I can only help with Fiat MultiJet radios. The radio in there can be programmed to stay on for up to three hours. I wrote this article about how to set it to do so.

Setting the timer for switch off MultiJet

Aside from that, I am replacing the standard speakers in the motorhome with Bose ones for a better sound.

I think you can get adaptor things that will let you connect an Ipad thing to most connections.

Russell

• Like Like x 5
  7. Mel

Mel Funster

Rapido radio can switch to leisure batery when the ig,ition is off.

Also has Ipod connection in glove box.

Radio is factory fitted.

Not always the case in Belgium with motorhomes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LickeyEndBlues

Does it cut out though after an hour? We've an aux input for the California which is great when we are on the move but it cuts out when we are parked up.

9. LickeyEndBlues

Thanks folks.
    We have a JBL dock that we used to use in hotels and in our static van which kicks out a fine sound. We now take it in the Cali but I feel that the music system should be more integrated when you are parked up.

Paying £50k for a 'van/motorhome and you have to keep turning the music on is a tad archaic!!

10. chopper602

chopper602 Funster

Our MH has an after market system. Pioneer with integrated sat-nav, USB 'in' for memory stick or iPod, aswell as SD card and CD/DVD (Radio too!). Also displayed the rear view camera when selected. There is also a three way switch,which means the unit can be run only when the ignition is on, or at all times (when parked for example).

You could probably take your Cali to a car sound place and get it changed to play straight from the battery rather than per hour when the ignition is off.

11. glenstu

glenstu Funster

:thumb:What brilliant information. The radio on my Peugeot Boxer would only stay on for 20 minutes and when I had the van serviced at Peugeot dealers this year, I asked them if the timer could be altered and they said no. So just to let everyone know your method also works on Peugeot radios. Many thanks

12. LickeyEndBlues

I look forward to trying this out. I'll let you all know what happens!

It strikes me as odd that when you are on EHU you can trickle charge the main battery yet can't put an extra drain on it!

13. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

We also have the Bose Portable Soundock. We have had up to 8 hours on battery as long as the volume is not making the van vibrate.

.....it is indeed the "Dog's Dangly Bits"........:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  14. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

I fitted a Sony head unit that will run --

Hands free phone
    Play via blutooth anyone's smart phone music in the MH
    Runs a self powered under seat sub woofer--

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Face...5?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item35bbd2f235

Play via a Btooth dongle from the 12v tv-- better sound
    Pick up output from a Garmin sat nav and lower the music auto
    Radio
    CD
    USB
    Remote
    Programme to turn off after a while

15. camcondor

camcondor Read Only Funster

I can only endorse the Bose Soundlink recommendation. We have the gorgeous Soundlink Mini which is more than "big" enough to produce fantastic sound in the MH. The bluetooth connection works seamlessly with any Bluetooth enabled device - ipad, ipod, various MP3 players etc. the radio which turns off after an hour or needs the ignition live is a pain - the sound from the Bose is fantastic.

• Like Like x 2
  16. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Have to agree - the Bose system is the nuts. Have a Bose iPod dock - but mainly for outside use!

I've just had a new Kenwood head unit fitted in the dash, plays everything, inc DAB radio, and hard wired iPod connection. Plays in the cab, in the hab area, either or both!
    Had it hard wired to the ignition, and had a trickle charger fitted which will allow me to use the cab radio 24/7 and not have a flat engine battery when on hook-up:thumb:

Considering getting some outside speakers fitted too:Wink:

17. LickeyEndBlues

That's the bit I don't understand. Ours trickle charges the battery when on ehu so why does the head unit turn off to save the bleedin' battery!

I am still tempted to get a dock of some sorts; particularly for outside use.

18. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

If, like me, you have an aftermarket radio fitted in your van (mine is based on the Ducato) then it will have two "live" leads going to it via its ISO block. One is a switched live which is connected via the ignition switch. This tells the radio to switch off when you switch off the ignition.

The other is a permanent live, which actually provides the power to work the radio. This one stay on when the ignition is off so that, for example, the radio will retain information like station presets. Some audio systems can then use it to monitor certain situations and switch themselves on in certain circumstances. One I had could do that if a "mute" call came from my parrot BT unit.

If you want the radio to stay on regardless of whether the ignition is on or off then merely wire the switch live terminal on the radio onto the permanent live feed rather than the switched live feed. But if you do be aware that it can run your battery down quite quickly. If, like me, you often run your radio on nil volume so that you can still pick up traffic reports and use the BT for handsfree phone calls you will need to remember to switch off the radio every time you leave the van.

19. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

We have a pioneer avic 920bt which does everything and has excellent sound quality, Hymer fit a switch on the dash which can provides a power to the unit when the ignition is off, I believe this second feed comes from the leisure batteries.

20. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Ours came with an aftermarket head unit that's always on and it came with speakers in the hab area too... Split charger looks after the vehicle battery. We leave the van plugged in when at home and prefer EHU sites do powers never really an issue