Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
Banbury Oxon
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I lived in one in 1982 but not since
just thinking about subscribing to this is it any good and if not what do you recomend

Thanks

Nick

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
As far as I know there is a choice of two motorhome mags - MMM or Practical Motorhome. I subscribe to MMM and enjoy reading the magazine. Plenty of people will be along to tell you it has its faults - in particular the biased (it seems to me) motorhome 'tests'. I'm sure the people who write the mag do their best to include something of interest to all readers.

I can't remember now how much I pay for my subscription but its not expensive, especially considering the £5 discount for subscribers when attending motorhome shows.

Paul

Upvote 0

Norfolk Red

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
2 Years
Having had both of them, its MMM for me, I think there is more to read in it but it is only my opinion.
Like newspapers I suppose, everyone has their favourite.

Mark & Anne.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Mms for us. I think we also had an offer for Practical Motorhomes £1.00 for three months. Interesting for a change, but MMM is our regular fix.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We have both and the Which magazine all drop through the door once a month. I like the tangible magazine but you can subscribe to a downloadable one.

Upvote 0

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
I recently cancelled my subscription to MMM, it was getting repetitive and as I have no intention of buying a new motorhome it had little (new) interest for me. For the record I was paying £9.99 per quarter.

I find there is more practical information on this web site than in MMM - but I do wish @Jim would tell me how to stop those dammed annoying moving avatars. I am using MS Edge and Windows 10.

Dave

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
@Nick Holden
Personally wouldn't bother subscribing, especially to MMM get it from your newsagent for a few months first. Its basically the same stuff regurgitated every month and the reviews really are diabolical according to them every new van is perfect in every way.
If you find you like it after a few months then subscribe.
Each to their own but definitely not for me. :xblink:
You'll learn more from members on a forum than a magazine funded by the advertisers just have to sift the wheat from the chaff.:xThumb:

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We have both and the Which magazine all drop through the door once a month. I like the tangible magazine but you can subscribe to a downloadable one.
Anthea has mentioned 'Which magazine' and I'm assuming that's 'Which Motorhome'. In my view it's the best of the bunch if seeking to buy a new van, because the focus is almost entirely on the latest motorhomes of all types available. It comes from the same stable as MMM, ie Warners, and shares some of the journalists. But I don't think it's normally padded out with travel features.

Having said that, I quite like MMM and generally prefer it to 'Practical Motorhome'; although I don't subscribe to any of them at the moment - even though I buy individual copies occasionally.

Agree there is a huge amount of info to be gained from this and other MH forums, but it is good periodically to have a real magazine to browse. And I haven't found a forum yet that highlights virtually all new vans, in the way 'Which Motorhome' does.

Upvote 0

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
I recently cancelled my subscription to MMM, it was getting repetitive and as I have no intention of buying a new motorhome it had little (new) interest for me. For the record I was paying £9.99 per quarter.

I find there is more practical information on this web site than in MMM - but I do wish @Jim would tell me how to stop those dammed annoying moving avatars. I am using MS Edge and Windows 10.

Dave
At least it's stopped snowing:clap:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Upvote 0
Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
I think a lot depends on what you are looking for in a magazine.
As has been said many enjoy MMM but I feel it has deteriorated over the years & as mentioned repeats itself too often.
From my viewpoint it has become a very expensive travel & advertising publication, with very little purely motorhome content, that I cancelled my subscripion to a few years ago.
Advert content when I last counted seemed to be pproaching 50%.
Fun is by far more informative & tactile & well worth the subscription.
Barrie.

Upvote 0

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Still being quite new to motorhoming, I subscribed to both last year, and also took up a six month subs offer on the Which mag too.

Renewal falls this month and I'll only be renewing MMM.

Mostly for all the reasons above (y)

Oh, and unless I win the lottery, I have no intention of buying a new MH but I still read every single review! I live in hopes :D2

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
MMM is a decent read with very good travel articles. I would take the readers camp site reviews with a large pinch of salt as having made the effort to go to a few of them based on their comments I think they must have been kept in a filing cabinet for several years before being published. Practical Motor Home is nothing but a comic cobbled up by a few pals in a shed somewhere (sorry Dave) using mainly second hand and often wildly incorrect facts and figures. Which Motorhome, apart from the once yearly camper van edition which goes straight in the bin is the best of the lot I find if you are interested in the motorhomes themselves.

Upvote 0

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Looks like MMM isn't on Readly :(

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we used to read the magazines and had them delivered monthly for years and years. when I realised that there was a pile unopened for a full year, I cancelled the subscription. as has been pointed out they regurgitate the same reworked info over and over, and more than 50% is all advertising

i offered about 15-20 years worth of magazines free to collector but nobody was interested, so they went in recycling to free up space at home. every year or 2 i look at a copy of mmm in the newsagent, but nothing has changed

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Don't read about it...... get out and have your own adventure.....(y)

I don't have time to read this forum let alone anything else :cool:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I don't have anything to do with Warners, either shows or publications, any more.
They don't value their customers as much as they do profits and make it blatantly obvious..

Subscribed to MMM for years and watched it slowly go downhill.....more advertisers than articles now.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I subscribe to MMM and look forward to it landing on the doorstep. Makes a change from a bill!
I pay £9.99 per quarter (I think) will check.
I've noticed that they do seem to feature articles and products based on who advertise in their mag.
And in my opinion, they feature a lot of panel van conversions and smaller Motorhomes frequently.
Maybe this reflects their readers buying trends.
They also seem (to me) to feature venues/sites suitable for taking a dog than a family. Again, maybe this reflects their audience.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I have subscribed to both MMM and Practical Motorhome over the years. I found MMM gravitated to having loads of adverts but some interesting travel articles and PM has interesting travel articles and also good practical advice. I currently subscribe to PM and then buy MMM from shop if they have a travel piece on a place I am interested in (which tends to be France) I keep the back copies in the attic and visit them when we are planning a trip over the water and take the relevant copies with us. Am thinking of stopping PM and doing the same as MMM as it gives me something to read while Mrs C is visiting the clothes shops.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I subscribe to both, yes lots of advertising, but that is true of all magazines. Enjoy reading them like looking at the travel always avoid the places mentioned as otherwise they are saturated with readers who think -great place we will go- save it for a later date when memories have faded. Have never found an unopened one, which is more than can be said of Johns Motorcycle mags.
Think about how much I have spent on them over the years, but it works out at less than a pint a week, and gives more pleasure, well perhaps not if t is a good real ale, cetainly lasts longer.

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
A couple of years ago I bought Sue a really cheap subscription to a magazine called "France", and although yes, its a bit pretentious and caters more for the well heeled it has some brilliant photographs and decent articles about places to visit in France and is well worth the cost. From memory the subscription was a lot less than the cover price. We will renew it every year, which is more than I can say about some other mags I subscribe to!

Upvote 0

Grahmes

Free Member
Oct 2, 2016
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E795
Exp
I subscribe to MMM; the main reason to s to get ideas on different areas around the UK and especially Europe.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back