motorhome mishaps

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Family Guy, May 20, 2011.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy Funster

what have you done or had done to your van that went wrong

1/ decided to change from oyster dish to dome
    uncle pat (lou the leak) ill have that of you no probs so we set about removing my dish
    thought what do we do to cover hole in roof pat said not a prob plastic lid loads of silicon

van parked up for 4 weeks then noticed leak around sky light so closed roof completely
    water stained seats had them cleaned then 3 days later still leaking removed back of cupboard pan of water every 5 hours new dome fitted sorted no more leaks :Wink:
    big thanks mark c l s:thumb:

2/ found tap had small leak from tap
    not prob put kettle on to boil water to soften pipe (in line filter )
    not used to boiling own kettle lit grill never noticed smoke so good job had kettle full of water :Blush:(towel to stop rattle)

result still got slight leak from tap but fire put out
    will leave for experts to fix not pat:cry:
    mark help:cry: (cls)

• Like Like x 4
  2. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Ooops! :Doh:

Not the first time that's happened I imagine.

I found out about 10 minutes ago that I'd left the SatNav / Entertainment unit switched on all day - flat battery! Ooops! Mrs. JayDee noticed it. Oh well! Plugged in now, so won't happen again - until the next time. :Smile::Blush:

John

• Like Like x 2
  3. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

When new to motorhomes set off with corner steadies down, ploughed 2 lovely furrows half way across field, before I was stopped.:Doh::Doh:
    Never done it again thanks to helpful old stager who saw it happen, told me to place winder across pedals as a reminder never forgot his advice and never done it since.:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 5
  4. Family Guy

Family Guy Funster

mishaps

trying to remove fridge removed all screws nothing to stop it coming out:Blush:

gas pipe ended up with a gas leak :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  5. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

I've got a wheel clamp so I leave the storage box in the drivers footwell. Reason behind this is when I had a caravan on a site that would store it for you, and either put it on a pitch or you could take it touring, the tractor driver tried to move it with the clamp on. Another thing I sometimes do is sit a checklist on the steering wheel. Bit ott but as I'm new hopefully will stop mishaps.

6. blamehofman

blamehofman Read Only Funster

Going through Rouen in France and sat nav took me down a city centre underpass way too low for the van on a very busy Saturday afternoon , and stupidly took it to work one day forgot to put the handbrake on and it rolled into the managing directors car :Doh: :Doh:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Started to take a van down to dealership from home with a toad on the back, ploughed some big grooves in gravel drive.

Left handbrake on toad!

Fortunately long drive and wife spotted it!

Peter

8. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

I left a handbrake on, on a caravan once.

Never did it again..............:Wink:

9. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We've set off several times with the heki roof light open.
    We once forgot to take the fishing pole with the funster flag flying from the top , down off the ladders at the back.
    Fortunatly we were told before we got out of the field:Rofl1:

10. poppys

poppys Read Only Funster

When in th US hired a poptop camper, forgot to lower it down and drove from the campsite to the local Mall.

11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Wanted to see the leaning tower of Pisa..

Drove all the way there.. got lost in the back streets.. ended up getting so jammed the police ( who were as good as gold it must be said ) had to open the gates to the grounds of the hospital so we could drive through there to escape..

End result ? 1500 miles to see the flag on the top of the tower as we went past it.. never did get any closer !!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Left rear legs down on caravan.

Got locked out of van on remote CL at 1am when Bruno wanted a pee, was freezing cold and know one to help and only in my pyjamas, ended up bending whole bottom of door needing replacement. When we were robbed they popped it easily

13. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

forgot to wind the wingard ariel down at knutsford this year in the wettest weekend of the year:rain: and poor Bryan (he's a great guy) came running after us in the downpour to tell us, so pulled up once through the gates from the camping field just past some other motorhomes that were parked so i could wind it down, and had a run in with a warners guy telling me i couldnt stop there...:Angry:.. no points for guessing who won but i put my ariel down and then moved.

Not my fault i forgot it ..... i dont require a google box i prefer to read or play on my lappy :BigGrin:

14. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I’m fairly sure that when one arrives on site and finishes the setting up there is a lot of fun to be had sitting and watching others doing it wrong or differently to how you would have done it.

Much the same happens when mooring a boat. Two years ago we set out for our favourite pile mooring near Lymington Town Quay. We poured the wine and sat in the cockpit and enjoyed some very skilled yachtsmen make it look very easy and less skilled newbies cocking it up. One fellow made such a mess of coming along side he caused damage to several other boats.

Bear in mind it’s impossible to help with 50 meters of water in between. The following morning the newbie decided to leave first as he was on the outside of the raft. We watched him double check everything, single up all lines and prepare for the off. He had a little bit of tide running which once out would have helped him.

Finally he checked that the dinghy was secure to the after end of his vessel and called to his wife to let go forward whilst he let go aft and gave the vessel a few revs.

He seemed to be doing very well until the boat began to slow, he gave it some more revs and then even more. He then looked to see what it was that was holding him back.

It was then that he remembered that the previous night he had secured the after end of his dinghy to the shore side cleat and it was still secured. By this time the engine was straining at about 3000 revs and the inflatable dinghy was twice as long as half as wide as when he’d let go, like a big rubber band. He reduced his revs but by this time the tide had him and was carrying him down stream. By the time a neighbouring skipper had seen the problem and leapt to his aid armed with a knife to release the dinghy the towing vessel had hit two of the boats that he’d hit the night before.

The morale of this is make sure you remove your HU when driving off site, I didn’t but remembered just before it became a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  15. lorger

lorger Funster

Parked up for the night in the middle of a vine yard on a France Passion site with wind out awning out. Next morning wound it in along with some tree branch managed to wind it all the way in before noticing the branch sticking out. Again windount awning wound in with shuttlecock on top of it when wound out again it had the shape of the shuttlecock in it took me about half an hour to work out what this funny shape was:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  16. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

oooh nooo!

Many years ago When I was A callow youth on my first trip,in a hired VW with all my callow friends we drove down a ramp to an underground car park in San Sebastien and we were discussing how high is 2 metres when suddenly we stopped with a mighty crunch we got out gingerly and observed the font roof rack which was fully laden with camping gear was jammed fast under a cable tray with many many cables some of which were damaged :Doh:paul our driver tried to reverse:Eeek: much grinding :Sad:suddenly a small spanish chap appeared looked at the damage swore at us then told us to let some air out of the front tyres and vamos andaly or words to that effect stupidos englesi :thumb:

17. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

oooh noooo part two!

:Smile:Drove up the M6 once with the dormobile roof up as I had forgotten to put the rubber thingys on and went over a bump up went the flipping roof I had to drive for quite a while before it was safe to stop got some very strange looks from other drivers :RollEyes:

18. dogmanlpool

dogmanlpool Read Only Funster

edd i have told you about listening to pat ? you will just end up with a load of gadgets that not even anygood for a car booty :Rofl1::Rofl1:

19. suavecarve

suavecarve Funster

I have a cadac which is served from the gas within the motorhome. Unfortunately I hadnt secured the connection to the cadac too well, lit it up went up the site for a pee and saw 3 foot flames which looked pretty dam close to the front of the van. Usain could not have run faster to get to the cadac !

When caravanning for a weeked down Newquay took 12 year old daughter and 2 friends. First time camping so put them out in the (universal) awning extension. Couldnt be bothered to put it up properly and it peed down with rain. Huge puddle formed (possibly the size of a bath) and the legs gave way under the weight meaning that 30 gallons of freezing rain water fell through, bounced and splattered all 3 of them at 0300 hrs whilst they were fast asleep. "Oops" was my eventual response to waking up to their screams !

20. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

When we were "newbies" with the caravan, hubby forgot to tighten the jockey wheel just after we arrived at Craigie Gardens, Ayr, the caravan ended up nose down, back end up in the air and the jockey wheel collapsed completely:Doh::Doh:
    We're sure this provided much amusement to everyone else sitting outside their vans and those watching with interest from inside.:Angry: