Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Business has been hard last 12 months,layed off youngest son last feb and oldest son december.Working just 4 days aweek at present and all prices are down on what they were 2 years ago.
Middle of feb looking to turn it around so one son can come back and if things go has planned both.
Been with rbs for 5 or more years and never missed a payment or been late.Missed last months due to none payment of several jobs i did before xmas.Got a letter off rbs with a leaflet saying having diffuculty we can help.So rang them and explained that several customers running late with payment and come middle of feb things will be back on track.
No help at all,totall waste of time.Thier response was for me to sell or they can apply to get back and put in auction.I am one month behind so seems a bit harsh to me.
Tried to get wife to sell house::bigsmile:::bigsmile: but not having any of it:Sad:
After severall years of upgradeing to the van we want to keep looks like it may come to a sad end but not going down without a fight.
So someone might get a bargain but not if i can help it.
Dave

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Business has been hard last 12 months,layed off youngest son last feb and oldest son december.Working just 4 days aweek at present and all prices are down on what they were 2 years ago.
Middle of feb looking to turn it around so one son can come back and if things go has planned both.
Been with rbs for 5 or more years and never missed a payment or been late.Missed last months due to none payment of several jobs i did before xmas.Got a letter off rbs with a leaflet saying having diffuculty we can help.So rang them and explained that several customers running late with payment and come middle of feb things will be back on track.
No help at all,totall waste of time.Thier response was for me to sell or they can apply to get back and put in auction.I am one month behind so seems a bit harsh to me.
Tried to get wife to sell house::bigsmile:::bigsmile: but not having any of it:Sad:
After severall years of upgradeing to the van we want to keep looks like it may come to a sad end but not going down without a fight.
Dave
Really feel for you dave,dont expect to much help from the bank(stards) at rbs to busy trying to line their own pockets,to worry about the people that keep them in a job.Hope business picks up and you can keep the van,all the best for 2010:thumb:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Sorry about your problems David.
I was self employed for over 30 years and got out in 2001 at 51 years of age, had enough of bad debt and lowering prices to compete.
Unless a person has been self employed they dont't realise how much strain it puts on both you and your family. Work comes and goes but for the last few years a lot of my friends are finding it very difficult to make payments. The banks, as you know, are just leaches sucking at blood most of the time. They are glad to take the risk when you first approach but after that NO HELP. They should step back and look at their own record of bad debt.
Sympathy,
Wilf:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Here is hoping things will work out for you.

Write to them making an alternative offer of payment and if you cant meet the full monthly payments, make sure you pay something - this does actually make a difference.

Also, contact citizens advice bureau, their advice is free and is worthwhile seeking.

There is also the consumer action group which is very good at giving advice and assistance sometimes too - its online and free.

The missing of one payment does not give them the right to automatically take the vehicle from you and, unless I am well out of touch they can only remove goods to the value you owe therefore if your motorhome is worth 20k and you only owe 10k they cant normally take the motorhome without loads of expense in court cases etc.

Fingers crossed for you xxxx

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Dave,

Make a part payment if you can to keep them sweet (as if) you dont want to go down the road of a repo or court as it will be a mark against you on your credit record.

Peter

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Really feel for you working for yourself does give you a fighting spirit though, as the above posts make a portion of the payment and take it from there, I hope things start to pick up quickly for you.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Banks I HATE them:Angry::Angry:

They get bailed out by the taxpayers while you are just one month in arrears and they act like this.

Drove my mum to commit suicide in the eighties and we had been with the Midland 40 years BAR STEW ARDS.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It really is a constant battle Dave..
In my game it is all the *!&!*$! on FleaBay, and every jumped up squirt of a cnc lathe owner out to make 5p extra pocket money that is killing the whole business off.. 5 years time there will be people whinning that 'you used to be able to get this and that but you can't now' simply because a whole raft of bona fide traders like your self have been pushed and pushed

Good news is though, that general feeling in certain quarters that are fairly important is that the whole fiscal position in the UK will take a hefty upturn quite early on this year

Peeps are fed up with hearing about downturns and no recession. They are realising that a whole lot of it is media driven and a good many folk DO have a few sheckles to spend after all !

Basically keep your chin up Dave.. chances are high all will be well in the near future :Smile:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I think you will find they can`t do anything until you miss three months, its not that you miss a payment, if you pay DD the banks charge you, and then them b******s at the finance house charge you another £25.00 for sending you a letter cos you missed the payment, offer them half the payment now if you can, an then the other half after they take the next payment from the bank, I know it works for me several times.:thumb::thumb::thumb:Cheers mate Rob BTW I`m with BoS

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Hope you sort things out. I'm semi-retired now and very glad I don't have to fill every chargeable hour with client work any more.

In case you need it, the link below gives details of your local CAB. Also on that website (click 'get advice' in the left hand menu) is a lot of practical self-help information that may obviate the need to visit the local CAB.

Philip

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/bureau_detail.htm?serialnumber=100336

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Legally

Why should you give up, or let them take what you have worked for for so many years.
I think I am right in saying that if you have paid more than a third they cannot just take it off you. They can go for repossession but no Court in the land is going to authorise it with one, or even two missed payments. They are scaremongering you and have absolute no shame either. A few years before I retired I had a similiar situation, made them an offer each month and they knew that if they did not take it they would get nothing. Threaten them like they are you. Tell them (though obviously don't mean it) you will go Bankrupt if they cannot accept your offer. Watch them back pedal, they did with me and times are even harder for them now.
Keep your chin up mate, there will be light at the end of the tunnel, I am living proof of it.
Graham

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i can sympathize with you fully as i'm in the same boat....:cry:

my wage has halfed for the last 4 months (week on/week off) but my £390 per month repayments havent.
i can meet the next payment and possibly the one after but, unless work gets back to normal pretty fast, thats it.
only 2 1/2 years into a 10 year non-regulated HP contract (you live and learn :Doh:) so the laws on their side.

the bast*rds may win but i'll bounce back.:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Dave so sorry to hear of your problems. Twice during my working career I was in a similar position but never gave up and both times something turned up to save us. Explore every possibility, never give up, good luck

Larry

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Dave, so sorry to hear about your situation, I was self employed for 16 years and eventually gave it up on the offer of a civil Service job which I took for 10 years until my retirement.

During my period of self employment I discovered the Banks (LLoyds) were very good at handing out money when things were going great but as soon as things got tight they wanted it back straight away. I remember on one occasion when i was sitting in the managers office and he wanted his money back and I couldn't I took out of my pocket the address and telephone No of the local bankcruptcy court in Bristol and told him to ring it, he nearly fell of his chair and soon changed his mind.

I would suggest you pay what you can afford and make a sensible offer about future payments. Keep a record of any reasonable offers you make as these can be used in your favour if you are taken to court.

Don't let these b*****ds get you down. As a partial owner of RBS (I am a taxpayer) you have my support.

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
hard times

don t give up everyone has hard times you will bounce back but don tgiveup what you have worked hard for

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Try and offer them something every month and make sure you keep all record of conversations and who you are talking to.

My son had similar problem with his car and finance verbally agreed to give him a couple of months grace but later denied all knowledge.

Good luck and don't give up

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Dave, what can I say other than good luck. Would not want to see anyone in your shoes. keep at it and keep fingers crossed for ya.
hopefully things will turn around. :thumb:

bauldy

Free Member
May 13, 2009
bedworth
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
6 years
Hi Dave

Sorry to hear about your problems...... fingers crossed things will pick up in time, I know Brenda and I will be rooting for you.
Keep strong and tell Kaz we were asking after her.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Dave

Horrible position to be in.

You can grit your teeth and hang on by your fingernails and hope for a recovery whilst constantly looking over your shoulder for the next RBS attack.

Or you minimise your outgoings, minimise your problems and if/when this upturn comes and you're back on your feet with your sons then buy another.

Good luck.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Dave, can't add anything better than the posts already on here. Just to offer support and best wishes. One day someone will realise that all of us self employed are the backbone of britain!!!

OP
OP
david price

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Been off line a couple of hours so sorry for late reply.Would just like to say thanks for all your advice and kind comments.
I will be getting some advice and making an offer for a couple of months after which time i should be in a position to catch up.
Not off to a good start though,weather here has delayed a couple of my jobs and the one indoor job i have has been delayed due to delivery not getting through.I will work in rain, snow,wind but i seem to be the only one.

DAVE.
P.S Thank you all once again and goes to show what a great forum this is.

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Good luck Dave, as has been said they can't think about taking the 'van back until you have missed 3 months payments, and if you have paid over 1/3 of the loan then they need to take you to court.

Am self employed myself and have been in same boat with the house/mortgage co. a few years ago but managed to get through it and keep the house. You can to.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
One more bit of advice, Dave.

When you make any offer to the bank, either on the phone or across the desk at the bank, always write and confirm it, and either send your letter by Recorded Delivery, or take it in to the branch yourself. (Ten years ago I would have suggested asking them to acknowledge - now they'll charge for that.) If you're selling the van, tell them, in writing, it's been advertised, and so on. This way, you're keeping a bit of the initiative, and not always back-peddling.

Keep a copy of your letters, with date and time of delivery if it was by hand. This should be actually printed, not just on your computer in case that gets lifted! That way they can't deny you made the offers. Also, of course, keep all correspondence on a file so you can find it. It's also worth keeping a brief note of phone calls in the file. You can be sure they will, but they'll 'lose' those that are not helpful. (Sorry if that all sounds a bit patronising - my senior partner here has struggled to keep me in order for over half a century, without conspicuous success!)

Finally, I'm very sorry to say this, but if giving up your MH temporarily keeps the house,
it's a worthwhile sacrifice. Many people try to hang on to everything, so lose the lot.

Good luck!

adenough

Free Member
Sep 12, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
Good advice on here. just make sure you are always communicating with the bank and keeping records of those communications. names, times etc. Do not ignore any correspondence. Been there myself and ended up the experiences enabled me to work as a small business advisor for many years. Always make sure you keep hold of your bricks, loved ones and your health. The rest does not matter. Much as you may love your MH it is still just a tin can on wheels. You can always get another.
Remember. Don't love anything that can't love you back.

Jim:Smile:

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
One more bit of advice, Dave.

When you make any offer to the bank, either on the phone or across the desk at the bank, always write and confirm it, and either send your letter by Recorded Delivery, or take it in to the branch yourself. (Ten years ago I would have suggested asking them to acknowledge - now they'll charge for that.) If you're selling the van, tell them, in writing, it's been advertised, and so on. This way, you're keeping a bit of the initiative, and not always back-peddling.

Keep a copy of your letters, with date and time of delivery if it was by hand. This should be actually printed, not just on your computer in case that gets lifted! That way they can't deny you made the offers. Also, of course, keep all correspondence on a file so you can find it. It's also worth keeping a brief note of phone calls in the file. You can be sure they will, but they'll 'lose' those that are not helpful. (Sorry if that all sounds a bit patronising - my senior partner here has struggled to keep me in order for over half a century, without conspicuous success!)

Finally, I'm very sorry to say this, but if giving up your MH temporarily keeps the house,
it's a worthwhile sacrifice. Many people try to hang on to everything, so lose the lot.

Good luck!

Dave, I have to agree with imprint very good advice.
I ram my own Ltd Company for 15 years and sold it in the end because of the banks.
Even before the recession that they caused if I needed to extend my over draft that was secured with my house I had to prove I did not need it first then they would lend it me.
Again some very good advise on here create a balance sheet of income and out goings and stick to it and only put your MH up for sale if things get worse and you cant keep to it.
Dave really sorry to hear but keep looking for the light at the end of the tunnel you will soon see it.
:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back