Motorhome may have to go.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by david price, Jan 5, 2010.

1. david price

david price Read Only Funster

Business has been hard last 12 months,layed off youngest son last feb and oldest son december.Working just 4 days aweek at present and all prices are down on what they were 2 years ago.
    Middle of feb looking to turn it around so one son can come back and if things go has planned both.
    Been with rbs for 5 or more years and never missed a payment or been late.Missed last months due to none payment of several jobs i did before xmas.Got a letter off rbs with a leaflet saying having diffuculty we can help.So rang them and explained that several customers running late with payment and come middle of feb things will be back on track.
    No help at all,totall waste of time.Thier response was for me to sell or they can apply to get back and put in auction.I am one month behind so seems a bit harsh to me.
    Tried to get wife to sell house:BigGrin::BigGrin: but not having any of it:Sad:
    After severall years of upgradeing to the van we want to keep looks like it may come to a sad end but not going down without a fight.
    So someone might get a bargain but not if i can help it.
    Dave

2. bazfergy

bazfergy Read Only Funster

Really feel for you dave,dont expect to much help from the bank(stards) at rbs to busy trying to line their own pockets,to worry about the people that keep them in a job.Hope business picks up and you can keep the van,all the best for 2010:thumb:

3. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Sorry about your problems David.
    I was self employed for over 30 years and got out in 2001 at 51 years of age, had enough of bad debt and lowering prices to compete.
    Unless a person has been self employed they dont't realise how much strain it puts on both you and your family. Work comes and goes but for the last few years a lot of my friends are finding it very difficult to make payments. The banks, as you know, are just leaches sucking at blood most of the time. They are glad to take the risk when you first approach but after that NO HELP. They should step back and look at their own record of bad debt.
    Sympathy,
    Wilf:thumb:

4. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Here is hoping things will work out for you.

Write to them making an alternative offer of payment and if you cant meet the full monthly payments, make sure you pay something - this does actually make a difference.

Also, contact citizens advice bureau, their advice is free and is worthwhile seeking.

There is also the consumer action group which is very good at giving advice and assistance sometimes too - its online and free.

The missing of one payment does not give them the right to automatically take the vehicle from you and, unless I am well out of touch they can only remove goods to the value you owe therefore if your motorhome is worth 20k and you only owe 10k they cant normally take the motorhome without loads of expense in court cases etc.

Fingers crossed for you xxxx

5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi Dave,

Make a part payment if you can to keep them sweet (as if) you dont want to go down the road of a repo or court as it will be a mark against you on your credit record.

Peter

6. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Really feel for you working for yourself does give you a fighting spirit though, as the above posts make a portion of the payment and take it from there, I hope things start to pick up quickly for you.

7. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

Keep at it Dave,hopefully things will improve in time.:thumb:

8. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Banks I HATE them:Angry::Angry:

They get bailed out by the taxpayers while you are just one month in arrears and they act like this.

Drove my mum to commit suicide in the eighties and we had been with the Midland 40 years BAR STEW ARDS.

9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

It really is a constant battle Dave..
    In my game it is all the *!&!*$! on FleaBay, and every jumped up squirt of a cnc lathe owner out to make 5p extra pocket money that is killing the whole business off.. 5 years time there will be people whinning that 'you used to be able to get this and that but you can't now' simply because a whole raft of bona fide traders like your self have been pushed and pushed

Good news is though, that general feeling in certain quarters that are fairly important is that the whole fiscal position in the UK will take a hefty upturn quite early on this year

Peeps are fed up with hearing about downturns and no recession. They are realising that a whole lot of it is media driven and a good many folk DO have a few sheckles to spend after all !

Basically keep your chin up Dave.. chances are high all will be well in the near future :Smile:

10. wasp

wasp Funster

I think you will find they can`t do anything until you miss three months, its not that you miss a payment, if you pay DD the banks charge you, and then them b******s at the finance house charge you another £25.00 for sending you a letter cos you missed the payment, offer them half the payment now if you can, an then the other half after they take the next payment from the bank, I know it works for me several times.:thumb::thumb::thumb:Cheers mate Rob BTW I`m with BoS

11. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Hope you sort things out. I'm semi-retired now and very glad I don't have to fill every chargeable hour with client work any more.

In case you need it, the link below gives details of your local CAB. Also on that website (click 'get advice' in the left hand menu) is a lot of practical self-help information that may obviate the need to visit the local CAB.

Philip

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/bureau_detail.htm?serialnumber=100336

12. JaG

JaG Funster

Legally

Why should you give up, or let them take what you have worked for for so many years.
    I think I am right in saying that if you have paid more than a third they cannot just take it off you. They can go for repossession but no Court in the land is going to authorise it with one, or even two missed payments. They are scaremongering you and have absolute no shame either. A few years before I retired I had a similiar situation, made them an offer each month and they knew that if they did not take it they would get nothing. Threaten them like they are you. Tell them (though obviously don't mean it) you will go Bankrupt if they cannot accept your offer. Watch them back pedal, they did with me and times are even harder for them now.
    Keep your chin up mate, there will be light at the end of the tunnel, I am living proof of it.
    Graham

13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i can sympathize with you fully as i'm in the same boat....:cry:

my wage has halfed for the last 4 months (week on/week off) but my £390 per month repayments havent.
    i can meet the next payment and possibly the one after but, unless work gets back to normal pretty fast, thats it.
    only 2 1/2 years into a 10 year non-regulated HP contract (you live and learn :Doh:) so the laws on their side.

the bast*rds may win but i'll bounce back.:thumb:

14. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Dave so sorry to hear of your problems. Twice during my working career I was in a similar position but never gave up and both times something turned up to save us. Explore every possibility, never give up, good luck

Larry

15. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

Dave, so sorry to hear about your situation, I was self employed for 16 years and eventually gave it up on the offer of a civil Service job which I took for 10 years until my retirement.

During my period of self employment I discovered the Banks (LLoyds) were very good at handing out money when things were going great but as soon as things got tight they wanted it back straight away. I remember on one occasion when i was sitting in the managers office and he wanted his money back and I couldn't I took out of my pocket the address and telephone No of the local bankcruptcy court in Bristol and told him to ring it, he nearly fell of his chair and soon changed his mind.

I would suggest you pay what you can afford and make a sensible offer about future payments. Keep a record of any reasonable offers you make as these can be used in your favour if you are taken to court.

Don't let these b*****ds get you down. As a partial owner of RBS (I am a taxpayer) you have my support.

16. scran

scran Read Only Funster

hard times

don t give up everyone has hard times you will bounce back but don tgiveup what you have worked hard for

17. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

Try and offer them something every month and make sure you keep all record of conversations and who you are talking to.

My son had similar problem with his car and finance verbally agreed to give him a couple of months grace but later denied all knowledge.

Good luck and don't give up

18. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Dave, what can I say other than good luck. Would not want to see anyone in your shoes. keep at it and keep fingers crossed for ya.
    hopefully things will turn around. :thumb:

19. staging lady

staging lady Funster

Thinking of you ,Dave,and hope with all the good advice on here you will be able to pull through.
    Lucille

20. bauldy

bauldy Read Only Funster

Hi Dave

Sorry to hear about your problems...... fingers crossed things will pick up in time, I know Brenda and I will be rooting for you.
    Keep strong and tell Kaz we were asking after her.