Motorhome mattress covers

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by yorkieman, Dec 3, 2011.

1. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

I'm putting my beloeved MH to bed for the winter.

I'm going to bring the seating cushions in to the house, but don't have anywhere to put the mattresses.

Does anyone do plastic covers that completely cover the mattresses (above and below) that I can zip them up in to keep them damp free?

If not, does anyone else have any suggestions as I don't want them to be damp come the spring. I've been some of those dehumidifier things in the MH, but wanted to do everything I could.

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We've never removed the cushions &c from the van over winter, just lifted them and opened doors so that there is free air circulation. For the first 4 years we used a small oil filled radiator when it was really cold but didn't use it at all last winter. Haven't had any damp problems.

3. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

A problem will arise if there is any damp at inside the plastic cover. Mattresses always have some moisture in them as they absorb it from sleeping bodies, as well as the air.

I think the first answer is your best bet--seal anything up with moisture = mould growth.
    Air circulation is the best bet to avoid this.

• Like Like x 1
  4. icantremember

icantremember Funster

.................but you can purchase incontinence pads to prevent this:Wink:

5. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Hi Yorkieman

Why are you putting your motorhome into hibernation? Much better to use it occasionally, this will keep it running sweet and hopefully avoid any 'sleepy van syndrome' problems.

As for the soft furnishings, if you feel happier, then by all means bring in some of the stuff, but you really don't need to go mad - just ensure a good air flow round the cushions etc left in the van and 'air' the van occasionally to keep it smelling sweet and let any damp air out - best done on a warmish dry day.

• Like Like x 1
  6. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

That appeals to me far more, but I thought there would be issues with water freezing and that kind of stuff.

I'd be happy to use it all year round if that was possible.

I'm new to all this stuff, so it is the first winter we've had it.

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Drain all your tanks - fresh, grey and flush (assume you've emptied the black cassette already :Smile:), open all taps (mixers to central position) and all being well you'll be OK.

I always remove the shower head from its clip and lay it in the tray above the drain. Tip from Don Madge was to unscrew the shower head and blow down the flexible pipe to remove water.

It's easy enough to refill with water if you do get a chance to go off in the van.

• Like Like x 2