Motorhome Makes

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by oldflemo, Jan 13, 2014.

1. oldflemo

oldflemo Funster

Soon at last to be purchasing our MH.
    Just remembering when we initially purchased our caravan we were advised carefully what makes to avoid as some Caravan site owners discourage particular caravan manufacturers as they are associated with a particular community.
    So the question is does this apply to any make of motorhome too?
    Look forward to your prudent advice
    Ian

2. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Hymers

:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I think they are referring to ( amongst others ) Tabbert and Hobby. I don't think the same associations are made with Motorhomes, many people have Hobby vans and I've never heard of anyone having problems. Just keep off campsites anyway, full of caravanners!
    Allan

• Like Like x 1
  4. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

First MHS

Many English Motorhomers go for traditional, English style MHs, because they resemble caravans. We have always preferred Foreigh MHs for the opposite reason, but as with everything, it is horses for courses. When you are looking round the vans, have a good look at the build quality. A van may look luxurious on the face of it, with lots of extras and a seemingly high spec, but on closer inspection, the internal panels flex when you push them and the fittings are not exactly built to last.

If you are spending thousands, sometimes tens of thousands, better to think long term. How will your van stand up to say, 5 years or more of regular use?

Happy hunting!:BigGrin:

5. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

The only ones I have heard about are the ones with a leaking grey water tank :RollEyes:.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i know of several sites that allow motorhomes under 7m only. some are also snobby about home converted vans too

as for which vans to avoid for problems or lack of customer service when things break, then swift group and autotrail are top of the dont buy list. a search of this and other forums will show you numerous people that have had serious problems with these vans from brand new. do your research very carefully and ask questions here and you hopefully wont buy a moneypit but get a van that is a pleasure to own

i know that many on here dont like to hear this advice as they see it devalues their choice of van, but i believe you should give advice warts and all

• Like Like x 4
  7. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

:moon:

• Like Like x 3
  8. Jandek

Jandek Funster

Had 2 autotrails . Been happy with both .

• Like Like x 3
  9. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

On my first one and well happy:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  10. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

no compalints with mine:Smile::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Or ours

12. maz

maz Funster

Oh my, that old chestnut again! :RollEyes: No, you will not be turned away from campsites if you have a Hobby motorhome. There was one (just one!) reported incident of someone with a Hobby van being turned away from a site in Scotland - but the report was full of inaccuracies. I can't remember the details (or be bothered to search for the article) but rather than the fact that the van was a Hobby, the refusal might have been because the hab door was on the 'wrong' side, or it was a tag axle, or any other ridiculous reason you can think of. :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Don't listen to these urban myths the scaremongers love to put out there. :Doh:

We have a friend who has a Hobby and its a tag axle :Eeek: we have a tag axle 7.7 mts and we have 3 other friends who have tag axles all over 7.5 mts. :Eeek: None of us have ever been turned away or refused entry to a site because of the van we drive and we drive all over Europe and have done for quite a few years.

Its a myth its not true :BigGrin:

The only time we've ever been refused entry was when we had a American RV and that did happen quite a lot especially in France and Spain.

As for Autotrail, Swift and Bessacar again we know dozens of people who have them use them regularly have no problems and absolutely love em. After all they probably sell more units than all the other manufacturers put together so they cant be that bad and there will always be the occasional bad one in any make. If you asked me I will tell you the worst vehicles I've ever owned were Mercedes but others swear by them.

The most important thing is to find the right layout for you that's far more important than the badge on the front.

Good Luck :thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 3