Motorhome Levelling

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by RogeTeri, Mar 27, 2013.

1. RogeTeri

RogeTeri Read Only Funster

Before I buy anything, what would you suggest I go for? Are there any tips you might have to help get things level? Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

2. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Ramps are useful for levelling, and also aid momentum if you sink slightly on grass. Sometimes a little momentum can pull you free of a wheel divit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

I have 2 sets of ramps large and small as well as a set of chocks to put behind them.
    have a small spirit level which I set on the worktop and the boss checks while I drive up the ramps, can be a pain if you have to level both ways but soon get used to it. usually have a walk round the pitch first to see where is flattest.
    maybe if I had the money I would go for these all singing all dancing self levelling air assisted things.

4. Cocoro

Cocoro Read Only Funster

Expensive I know, but I love my Goldschmidt Hydraulic Levellling Jacks. Any stop, no matter how short it will be, press the button, wait a minute and level. I don't even bother getting out of the van to do it now as they suggest. After my MiFi and iBoost internet gadgets, got to be the best money I have ever spent on a van in ten years. Not for everyone I know and you lose some payload but if you can spare it, they are a joy!

5. RogeTeri

Ramps will do me I think. Any particular manufacturer?

6. Sidney

Sidney Funster

:Blush: At the risk of being rude...

how much?

7. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I never bother with levelling. Just park as close to level as possible and make do. I did have levelling blocks when I first started in 2005 but got rid of them when I went fulltiming as they were too much hassle. All they do is serve to increase the time between handbrake on and beer. :Rofl1:

I have only been on one location for one night where I wish I had levelling blocks and they wouldn't have made much difference as the slope was EXTREME!!!!! My head was at least 2 feet above my feet when laid in bed.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Sidney

Sidney Funster

:Blush: At the risk of being rude...

how much?

Oh no need... you put it on a previous post - €4,700 plus VAT at 19% so £3,927 plus VAT

Gulp

9. RogeTeri

At that price I'd rather buy a shovel and level it myself! Might just get some cheapish blocks and see how I do

10. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I brought some Milenco quad ramps at the Newark show. They are bigger than the Fiamma ones in that they have four steps. If you have storage for them they are really good. Funster Jon aka jon&chell tells me that they are good if you have a long wheel base van.

I never use a spirit level. I leave water in the sink and open a door if the water drains and the door don't swing open Im level :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 6
  11. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thule-Caravan-Motorhome-Leveling-Storage/dp/B004E50G74"]Thule Caravan, Motorhome Leveling Ramps with Storage Bag.: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors[/ame]

We used these ones, lasted very well and come with a storage bag unlike the fiamma ones. yOu can also get the chocks which secure them, though we always used the handbrake!

12. RogeTeri

13. Phill D

Phill D

millenco Quattro ramps are brill:thumb: not cheap at £40 ish and take up a bit of space but easy to use and come in a nice bag not to dirty your storage locker.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Phill D

Phill D

sorry i was tooooo slow:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  15. RogeTeri

Can't hang about Phil I'm leaving in 10 weeks!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Phill D

Phill D

wow only 10 weeks away...... we are off in 7 weeks :clap:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Milenco quads for us.. After breaking FOUR Fiamma ones we tried a set of the Thule ones but found each step was really to much to get up especially if you are front wheel drive and trying to get em under the rear wheels.. On grass the fronts just span every time due to the big step ups.
    I decided to go for the Milenco jobbies after that.. Never looked back.... Absolutely brilliant !

• Like Like x 1
  18. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I had some millenco ones but flogged them at a MHFun meet as they took up a lot of space and I never used them. Like a lot of motorhomes, my back end is higher than the front (in my case by 6" which is more than the height of most ramps).
    I can usually get pretty level by parking the right way round. The only pitch I cannot get level on is an exactly level one, but never found one of them:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

After extensive research over the last month we have opted for Milenco Quattro. We are off tomorrow on our first trip so can feed back in 10 days if you like. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  20. maz

maz Funster

Or Milenco Triples if you don't want something quite as bulky as the Quattros. Cope with a heavy van no problem. :Smile: