Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
I know there is no legal requirement to carry a spare wheel/tyre, but if you don't have one are you still legally obliged to carry the supplied or suitable Jack? I don't have was not issued with a spare wheel but was supplied the Jack kit under the seat. If I don't have to carry it I can remove it and carry 8kgs of something else?

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
You may still want to lift her up off her boots to have a look at the brakes or take a wheel off to do whatever, lift her up a bit to do some remedial work underneath her skirts, there isn't a lot of room underneath, pass sandwiches to illegals clinging on ?? :whistle:

eg:- I had to replace the rubber exhaust pipe suspension thingys and it made life an awful lot easier hoicking her up with the supplied jack ! While she was up I slobbered some waxoyl stuff here and there (brushable stuff).

Last edited:
OP
OP
MickyP

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
You may still want to lift her up off her boots to have a look at the brakes or take a wheel off to do whatever, lift her up a bit to do some remedial work underneath her skirts, there isn't a lot of room underneath, pass sandwiches to illegals clinging on ?? :whistle:
I would never lift a Motorhome on a supplied jack and put any part of my body under it whilst supported. That's why I have good breakdown cover for. (Once jacked a Ford Motorhome to change wheel and wheel was stuck after tapping it a bit it become loose and just as I was pulling it off the Jack (supplied) collapsed and trapped my arm I was very lucky the angle of the wheel caught the van as it dropped but it took about 7 men to lift it so I could free my arm wont do that again.)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
unless its a pvc the supplied jack is less than ideal to lift a back wheel on a motorhome

OP
OP
MickyP

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
unless its a pvc the supplied jack is less than ideal to lift a back wheel on a motorhome
Not a PVC I just don't see the point in carrying a jack if you don't have a spare but will do if its Legal requirement

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
never lift a Motorhome on a supplied jack

Yes before putting myself in a vulnerable position I settle her down onto a pair of 6 ton capacity axle stands. My Van is just over 3.3 tonnes loaded.

I have tried bottle jacks and a trolley jack, and I am convinced that the supplied scissor jack is as good as any when you use the built in jacking points on the chassis. I have good wheel chocks to make sure she doesn't creep anywhere

Bottle jacks talked about on this forum as being lighter and better, I personally consider them the worst choice of all. Getting someone else to do the necessaries is the number one choice. I just don't have the patience to watch someone do what I know I can do better myself.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I always remember travelling from London to Durham on the overnight coach in 1970. It got a puncture on the M1 and a passing police patrol insisted that it be driven onto the ramps from the police vehicle. [I'm not sure why, unless he then expected to jack it up with enough space to fit a spare wheel.] Unfortunately, the ramps just went "BANG" and we were back on terra firma within seconds. Red faces for the boys in blue: the following coach had suitable equipment and all was sorted within 20minutes. Having the correct item is really important.

TBH I have changed all of my wheels using my supplied bottle jack (Mercedes Sprinter base) attached to the recommended lifting points. IF I'm at home I add additional support, but when I had to do it twice on Anglesey I just ensured that no part of my body was under the van and, for 90% of the time, the "extra" wheel was under the appropriate chassis area. IF something went wrong, it could result in damage to the wheel or tyre, but hopefully would protect the working parts.

Gordon

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I don't know about legality of carrying a Jack or not, but I'm with Rapido925M, I've used the standard jack lifting my Hymer with no problem.
I wonder how secure a bottle Jack would be if not used square to the ground, could vehicle tip off jack.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
We had this thread 'Should we carry a bottle jack? MoHo is 8 by 2.35 mts ' running last week but no-one mentioned legal requirement.

So, getting back to the original post, can anyone advise on the legal aspect as I'm thinking of leaving my jack at home.

Brian

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We had this thread 'Should we carry a bottle jack? MoHo is 8 by 2.35 mts ' running last week but no-one mentioned legal requirement.

So, getting back to the original post, can anyone advise on the legal aspect as I'm thinking of leaving my jack at home.

Brian
@tonyidle answered it concisely. No

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
It's a good question. Cars nowadays don't carry a jack, or a spare wheel, just the inflators, and a tin of tyre glue!

Do new motorhomes or commercial vehicles come with similar, or do they still have a spare wheel and jack?

Ours came with jack, but no spare wheel, so we insisted on a spare tyre from the dealer, but I certainly wouldn't want to try to jack it up!

I suspect that @tonyidle is correct, and that there is no legal requirement regarding carrying a jack.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Fair enough, but it wasn't referenced and may have been an opinion.
In the meantime I have found this

OP
OP
MickyP

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
Thanks all my post has been answered I will now remove my jack don't believe in carrying anything I don't need.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back