motorhome internet - am i missing something (1 Viewer)

sunshine123

Free Member
Sep 23, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
We are going travelling early next year around Europe in our motorhome for the first time:thumb:. We want to take our laptop to be able to view and send emails and research locations of Aires/Stellplatz/places of interest whilst on the move. We also have mobile phones which we want to use for odd calls and texts to the UK and receive the same. We wont use much download much data and it wont be every day...I have just read about a EuropaSIM and Dongle being sold by Motorhomewifi for 59 euros, including 5 euros credit. The package is described as being completely pre-paid so no expected bills, but then gives a 2 euro daily rate for 100mb of data for the days you choose to use it. Am I correct in thinking that the 59 euros is for the sim and dongle and once the 5 euro credit is spent (which would take 2.5 days :Angry:) we would have to pay 2 euros per day for the days we choose to use it? Is the sim for a phone and the dongle for the laptop or is the sim for the dongle?? We used a prepaid dongle in the UK for 6 months and the £80 outlay lasted us for 6 months using our laptop daily...Then to confuse us even more I have jst read something about a Kindle 3g allowing free mobile internet access:helpsos: can anyone explain in simple terms or even better share any experiences of such gadgets? We were also thinking about a wifi aerial to pick up free wifi as much as possible......ouch my brain is aching......help :cry:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Sunshine, and welcome to motorhome fun, when we are in Europe we tend to use camp site wifi and MacDonalds, I am sure someone will be along later with more answers :welcomefunster:

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I will try and answer your questions as best I can given the info you have supplied. There are no easy answers to your quest (see numerous posts throughout the Internet).
"we would have to pay 2 euros per day for the days we choose to use it?"
Yes it looks that way and the site tells you where to preload the money. Note the Huawei helps you stop going over the 100Mb limit but it will not stop at 100Mb when costs will soon bite into your money i.e. jumps from 50mb for 1€ to 1mb for 1€.
"Is the sim for a phone and the dongle for the laptop or is the sim for the dongle??"
You can use it for either. If used in a phone then you would not be able to make calls but most Android phones now allow you to create a hot spot so you could be using another phone to browse and someone else an IPad and/or laptop at the same time. You could also buy a Huawei MiFi which would do the same (need to be unlocked - search Amazon for Huawei mifi). The dongle has the facility to connect an aerial.
"Then to confuse us even more I have just read something about a Kindle 3g allowing free mobile internet access can anyone explain in simple terms or even better share any experiences of such gadgets?"
The 3G kindle wifi is there to help you lie on the beach and buy more Kindle products. Amazon has now cottoned onto the fact that it was being used extensively for other purposes and appears to be limiting non book downloading to 50Mb a month - Google is your friend here. If buying a Kindle then for a motorhomer probably worth going for the 3G model.

So the Europa sim appears to match your needs for a facility to read your mail and do a reasonable amount of browsing even if you do not require this every day (just do not go over the 100mb) in 33 EU countries (although Wikipedia reckons there are only 27 EU members) :). It would certainly be easier than having 33 different sims.

As for the signal booster, it would probably pay for itself in a couple of years. While I do not have one (still awaiting my van) I do not want to go into a bar, McDs or sit in a library if I can be relaxing in my van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
There a few threads on that item most weeks on here--
heres one
--
Broken Link Removed

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the cheapest unlocked mifi that ive found in £48
Link Removed

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I had a look at a couple of the links posted in the other thread and have to say that the frenchmobile.com link that was put on seems good value. On T-Mobile i pay £40 for 200mb roaming through europe and the french mobile charge €39 for 300mb, says the service is all in english as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I use a simple omni-directional wi-fi booster in the van. Always seem to pick up a good signal from the bar or reception when staying at campsites in France. Use it other places too. Don't need to put the receiver outside, just sit it on the table, or put it in the holster supplied that has a rubber sticker for the inside of the window. It has a USB plug to go into the laptop. Simples.

Cost about £20 on Amazon 14 months ago - has paid for itself many times over. :thumb: Not to mention the convenience and comfort of surfing in the van.

Addie, who runs motorhomewifi.com knows all the technical stuff - just talk to him for any advice. (I don't think he was trading when I bought mine, otherwise I'd have probably purchased from him)

Jul 27, 2011
Kilmun, Dunoon
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sport TI
Exp
Since 2012
https://www.roamline.com/

Hi....
I have just ordered a sim card from Roamline 19.95 euro plus VAT inc. shipping which allows access to most countires in the world. No monthly charges.. basically a PAYG service charged by the 1Mb. In Europe it is 39 cents per 1Mb. plus VAT. Just plug the sim into an unlocked dongle. You can go to their website whilst on line and check what your useage has been also. Fine for emails with the odd website but no big downloads. Horses for courses. Hope this helps.

atb

We are going travelling early next year around Europe in our motorhome for the first time:thumb:. We want to take our laptop to be able to view and send emails and research locations of Aires/Stellplatz/places of interest whilst on the move. We also have mobile phones which we want to use for odd calls and texts to the UK and receive the same. We wont use much download much data and it wont be every day...I have just read about a EuropaSIM and Dongle being sold by Motorhomewifi for 59 euros, including 5 euros credit. The package is described as being completely pre-paid so no expected bills, but then gives a 2 euro daily rate for 100mb of data for the days you choose to use it. Am I correct in thinking that the 59 euros is for the sim and dongle and once the 5 euro credit is spent (which would take 2.5 days :Angry:) we would have to pay 2 euros per day for the days we choose to use it? Is the sim for a phone and the dongle for the laptop or is the sim for the dongle?? We used a prepaid dongle in the UK for 6 months and the £80 outlay lasted us for 6 months using our laptop daily...Then to confuse us even more I have jst read something about a Kindle 3g allowing free mobile internet access:helpsos: can anyone explain in simple terms or even better share any experiences of such gadgets? We were also thinking about a wifi aerial to pick up free wifi as much as possible......ouch my brain is aching......help :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back