Motorhome Insurance - Best When Made A Claim? (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Can those of you that have had to make an insurance claim on your motorhome please share your experience with us? We are about to renew our insurance for the third year & currently doing the task of ringing around & comparing but such variation as always so wary that the cheap ones may be an unwise choice if it does come to a claim :( Having searched on the forum there is a lot of info. about shopping around, who to try ( Caravanguard, Safeguard, Comfort, Saga, CC etc) & the cheapest but not much about how good these insurers are when there is a problem.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Although only a broken windscreen, NFU coughed up the £5.5k required without a blink. Further they were very proactive in sourcing the part and pushing Autoglass to complete the job. Not the cheapest, but now I renew automatically, without filling in multiple internet forms to be told at the end to ring them anyway. Each year it has fallen a little bit, so now after five years, I am paying about £50 less than at the start.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My only experience of claiming was with NFU .. had an accident in France, and they settled it without quibble.. . they have an excellent reputation.. but it comes at a price..
Have since left them as the premiums were becoming expensive.. am now with Comfort.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
We have claimed with Comfort twice, the first was to use the breakdown service (via RAC),, the second was to replace our Aclass windscreen ( via Autoglass), both times very little hassle. The premiums have always been competitive too

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We insured with ERS via AIB (Funster Discount). ERS were a bit slow with the claim to start with as it was storm damage and there were a lot of claims that weekend but once everything was underway ERS were great. Even better was that the premium was the same the following year.

AIB have a few faults (as in not ringing back, getting stuff wrong etc) but they do get a good price and any claim goes through the insurance company and not the broker.

The biggest problem we had was trying to find the full value of the claim so we could get other quotes the following year - ERS / AIB beat every other quote by a country mile.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We had a claim with NFU for a written off caravan, it was quick easy & with no stress at all.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We are with Safeguard and in 2014 whilst travelling through France we were hit down the side by a car driven by a French lady driver, the damage came to £750. Safeguard payed up as soon as repaires were completed with no quibbles.

John

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
As a consequence of my lightning strike episode (2014 Le Crotoy) - I didn't claim for vehicle repairs but I did use the included breakdown service/cover. That involved getting me home then back to France to pick up the van. The cover was with Safeguard and their assistance was excellent. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had to use Safeguard 3 times! First time was when we had our van 'bricked' in Holland causing £2,300 worth of damage, second time was to a cracked windscreen needing to be replaced and the third was a chip on the windscreen needing filling. No problems at all. You'll find that if you ring round and get quotes if you go back to Safeguard they'll often match it!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have used Comfort in the past but they 'lost' our proof of no-claims (3 years I think) so we had to start again when we switched to Safeguard (but they were still cheaper) ... wouldn't go back to Comfort personally but useful for getting quotes!

ebo

Nov 9, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class Carado i449
Exp
Since 2009
We've unfortunately had three claims over last six years, two for theft of catalytic converters, and one for a cracked windscreen. all with Comfort Insurance, all dealt with promptly and without any hassle. Premium was the cheapest as well.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have used Comfort in the past but they 'lost' our proof of no-claims (3 years I think) so we had to start again when we switched to Safeguard (but they were still cheaper) ... wouldn't go back to Comfort personally but useful for getting quotes!
Comfort is a net policy no NCD, but they will give you a letter that most other insurers will accept as proof of no claims entitlement.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Comfort is a net policy no NCD, but they will give you a letter that most other insurers will accept as proof of no claims entitlement.

that is spot on.. they have it written somewhere in their blurb that they will do that

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We were treated very well by Highway/LV (bought through Frank Pickles) when our Autoquest was written off almost 4 years ago. We stayed with them as a result until this year when we had to move because either the company or FP or both decided to only insure motorhomes for drivers who already had car insurance (our van is registered/insured in Jill's name and our car in mine).

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you all for your replies so far (y) We have been quoted from £199 - £407 ! The lower premiums are without recovery but some insurance companies can't take this off. As we have had a recent Ford Service that includes their European recovery as a "free" bonus plus we have Britannia Rescue Personal Cover for us in our car, motorhome plus any other vehicle that we travel in so don't need another lot! Caravanguard & Safeguard can only quote with recovery but the latter has a sister company Scenic http://www.scenicinsurance.co.uk/ who do have a policy without recovery & gave the lowest quote. Thank you for the suggestions for NFU (reminded us that they are rated top provider for car insurance by Which?) who were very thorough & competitively priced but they described it as an amended car policy so none of the motorhome specific benefits. Being emailed all the policies to check small print :whew: As our motorhome is 2 years old it makes sense for us to choose a provider with 3 year New For Old so of the ones that we have tried currently Comfort is looking the best overall so good to hear positive feedback about them :)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Safeguard.
Had an electrical fault in Spain, breakdown sorted (y)
Fuel leak in Germany, Breakdown again to the rescue. Towed us in and sorted. (y)

Car thieves crashed a stolen motor into the side of my van (18 months old) while it was on our drive..
Van all repaired and sorted.. (y)

ps.. Not all the same van !!! lol

smash 6 comp.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
that is spot on.. they have it written somewhere in their blurb that they will do that
Maybe they do now, they certainly did NOT when we needed it when we switched to Safeguard! Maybe it was our playing merry hell with them that made them 'rethink' their admin procedures!!!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Had to claim on Comfort insurance when I damaged a vehicle whilst turning. They dealt with it quickly and were very nice.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Maybe they do now, they certainly did NOT when we needed it when we switched to Safeguard! Maybe it was our playing merry hell with them that made them 'rethink' their admin procedures!!!

think its been in place about 2 years now. but they never used to issue any no claims letters as they had net policies. still same policy charges just now will issue NCB confirmation.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Only used Safeguard for a windscreen but they were helpful and have an integrated repair system with autoglass who did a good job.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Which is a requirement of EU rules & additionally must be done within 15 days of asking.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back