Free Member
Dec 11, 2016
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
chausson low profile
Exp
since 2013
hi, just joined this site, does anyone know anything about the Motorhome Holiday Swap company motorhomeholidayswap.com or have arranged a holiday swap? We are thinking about arranging a swap with likeminded folk in Australia. Any advice will be very welcome.

OP
OP
Chil

Chil

Free Member
Dec 11, 2016
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
chausson low profile
Exp
since 2013
:thanks4:thanks Bobby, any advice on best ones? could be a minefield out there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Advice is just an opinion ,don't be a sheep ,if you think it's for you go for it and enjoy .
Nothing's certain except death and taxes.

Vlad

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
last year we successfully swapped our motorhome for Five months in New Zealand, there wasn't a company as such just a website that like minded people joined and contacted people who intended to Motorhome in U.K. / Europe,
lots of emails back and forth until we settled on dates, Holiday was fantastic! down side we then lost the use of our Motorhome for five months this year, But without doubt the decision to swap worked great for us,

OP
OP
Chil

Chil

Free Member
Dec 11, 2016
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
chausson low profile
Exp
since 2013
thanks for that Ivor, do you have the website address? Hear what you're saying David but I think its worth the risk. :xsmile:

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1971
This is the one that that we used in the end,
just really checking to see if dates/Locations/ motorhome types match up with your wants, and obviously the other party in agreement also,

Link Removed

OP
OP
Chil

Chil

Free Member
Dec 11, 2016
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
chausson low profile
Exp
since 2013
Thanks Ivor, is this the one you used, or was it the other one?

OP
OP
Chil

Chil

Free Member
Dec 11, 2016
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
chausson low profile
Exp
since 2013
hi Ivor, yes that's the one I've been looking at. Pleased that I've got a positive feedback about them. I registered with them yesterday and expected a return email with I D and password but nothing yet. Also, I cant find any info about fees, it just says no fees this year!!!! Did you pay them anything?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We've hired in Australia. Very expensive, and it was a bit of a shed at that , put it this way , it was cleaner inside when we gave it back. It was 15 year ago though.
But we had a fab time touring about south Australia for a month.
Though it did make up our mind that although we'd spent months acquiring a full ozzi visa for our family of 5 , to emigrate out there lock stock and barrel , that we didn't actually want to go. Not for emotional ties either. We were better off here fianancially and lifestyle wise.
So we knew we'd prefer to stay where we are now.
In hind sight ( with the way the world is going ) we wish we'd now moved to a remote Scottish island, with our 3 ( then) small children. Too late to do it now.

Personally , I wouldn't dream of hiring out our PUG, or even our previous MH.
But if I had something I wasn't that bothered about getting damaged. That already had a few dings and internal chips here and there.
Then expected to swap for something not that brilliant , of the same standard , I'd be up for it. For a cheaper holiday.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1971
hi Ivor, yes that's the one I've been looking at. Pleased that I've got a positive feedback about them. I registered with them yesterday and expected a return email with I D and password but nothing yet. Also, I cant find any info about fees, it just says no fees this year!!!! Did you pay them anything?

No we didn't pay any fees, you put up your details and dates that you would like to travel, then search the site for people with similar wants,
plenty of pics and emails to make sure as much as possible that you would be happy to swap with them,
we were collected and delivered back to the airport as we did for them when they came here,
there is obviously an element of risk but in my case we were both retired couples, he with an engineering background the same as myself and not likely to obuse my Motorhome as i would his,
If it had been a young hippy couple i probably wouldn't have agreed to the swap:xgrin:

OP
OP
Chil

Chil

Free Member
Dec 11, 2016
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
chausson low profile
Exp
since 2013
thanks for your thoughts Ralph, it will always be a risk loaning out your pride and joy but if it's a mutual swap, it gives you some peace of mind. I would assume that they would be feeling exactly the same about it, hopefully :xsmile:

OP
OP
Chil

Chil

Free Member
Dec 11, 2016
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
chausson low profile
Exp
since 2013
Hi Ivor, thanks for all of that info, sounds like it worked perfectly for you, that kind of arrangement is exactly what I'm looking for. I will visit the website as soon as they send me the I D and password. Have a great Christmas and a happy new year:xgrin:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
One thing I would say Chris is that having been to both I would choose NZ over Aus every time, having said that you might have other reasons for the trip. but we did it in NZ and it was a blast, you will need a minimum of 4 weeks and I would suggest 6 or 8 weeks longer if you could manage it.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
How does the insurance work? It could be prohibitive to add an unknown driver to your own policy

Nice concept though

OP
OP
Chil

Chil

Free Member
Dec 11, 2016
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
chausson low profile
Exp
since 2013
One thing I would say Chris is that having been to both I would choose NZ over Aus every time, having said that you might have other reasons for the trip. but we did it in NZ and it was a blast, you will need a minimum of 4 weeks and I would suggest 6 or 8 weeks longer if you could manage it.
Its the relative thing, I've got them in Sydney, wife has them in Melbourne but would love to do NZ :(

OP
OP
Chil

Chil

Free Member
Dec 11, 2016
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
chausson low profile
Exp
since 2013
How does the insurance work? It could be prohibitive to add an unknown driver to your own policy

Nice concept though
Hi David, the websites indicate that they can sort that. I remember reading an article about this stuff in either the Caravan club or C & C Club magazine which indicated that insurance was more of a problem this end than that end.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I think I'd love to try it , but like prob most of us I am frightened to let my Wendy out of my sight , especially for a few months..
Maybe after a few years when I have made her a little rougher around the edges :)

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Have been giving this MH exchange a bit of thought as we hope to visit NZ in 2018. It is likely that we would want to visit at a different time to a Kiwi visiting the UK. Probably February for us and more likely the UK summer for them

How do you ensure that the exchange works both ways and that one party does not get a holiday and then welch on the deal? Should the first "user" pay a deposit that is refunded when the reciprocal loan takes place?

OP
OP
Chil

Chil

Free Member
Dec 11, 2016
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
chausson low profile
Exp
since 2013
Have been giving this MH exchange a bit of thought as we hope to visit NZ in 2018. It is likely that we would want to visit at a different time to a Kiwi visiting the UK. Probably February for us and more likely the UK summer for them

How do you ensure that the exchange works both ways and that one party does not get a holiday and then welch on the deal? Should the first "user" pay a deposit that is refunded when the reciprocal loan takes place?
Hi, yes there are many questions that will need answers, I'm still waiting for an email from the Motorhome Holiday Swap company with an I D and password to enable me to look at it properly

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Coming to this thread a bit late, but I had a long chat with a guy at St Neots CCC a couple of years ago. He was an Aussie and had done a swop: him and his wife had really enjoyed touring UK, which they'd left 30y previously. "everything worked well - you ought to give it a try as you've got family in Oz". :)

Then I noticed that he was removing flies from the bonnet of the Rapido Aclass with Jif cream cleanser. (n)

Glad it wasn't mine - Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back