Motorhome Height (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have a laminated card with both overall dimensions and safe clearance dimensions.

no good knowing the height or width is X ft if you have a few thousandths of an inch clearance.
my safe clearances are around 6" oversized.....anything less isnt worth the risk of contact.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
For goods vehicles it is the responsibility of the operator (transport manager )to ensure that correct height is displayed in the cab on an approved plate, some of which are adjustable i.e. car transporter where the height may vary . It is the drivers responsibility to plan his route accordingly.
Having just measured my 669, the book says 2.97m My height pole says 3.13m ! looks that I shall now have to add a visible notice.

Who started this thread anyway

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Il wait till im stopped and checked then ask them at what point was i informed of this law :)

Not at driving test
Not by manufacturer
Not by insurance
Not by mot tester
Not by email
Not by post

If I don't know the law exists why would I look it up ......i never saw this thread and no one can prove I did :)

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
tambo,
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
No one has officially informed me personally that murder is against the law, but that's hardly a defence?
If you transgress you can get nobbled, but I've never known this be an issue on roadside checks.
It appears it is a requirement, just got C&U Regs out and looked it up out of curiosity.
Nothing new about it, unless we consider 1986 to be new.
Folk like myself, Alan and others are aware this requirement applies to goods vehicles.
The only question to be asked / answered is "does it also apply to motor caravans?"

It seems to be the case.
There are always people who ask for evidence, so for those folk, here ya go.......

Road Vehicles Construction and Use Regulations 1986, Regulation 10 refers.
(Note that in the text, "motor vehicle" is referred to, not just a goods vehicle, also note that motor caravans aren't in the exempt list.)

Height Plates
Regulation 10 Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 - If the overall travelling height of a motor vehicle or its trailer, including load, exceeds 3 metres (9 foot 10 inches) (4 metres if an EC registered vehicle on an international journey) a notice clearly indicating the height in feet and inches (in characters at least 40 millimetres tall) must be displayed in the cab so that it can be clearly read by the driver, indicating :-

• not less than actual overall travelling height or more than 150 millimetres (6 inches) greater, or
  • if high level equipment (hydraulic arms etc.) is fitted, the height at which a warning device would give a visible warning to the driver if exceeded - alarm must set to activate within 1 metre of overall travelling height.
Height Plate Exemptions
  • Where it is highly unlikely that the driver would encounter any bridge or other overhead structure which is less than 1 metre higher than the overall travelling height or the maximum height of high level equipment when fully extended, allowing for unforeseen diversions or the driver getting lost,
  • Where document(s) are within easy reach of the driver describing :-
    a. his route(s) without risk of colliding with any bridge or overhead structure PROVIDING the driver is on that route or is off that route because of an unforeseen diversion, or
    b. which bridges and structures his vehicle/load could safely pass under and those he could not which are on his route, allowing for unforeseen diversions or the driver getting lost.
Height Warning Devices
Regulations 10A and 10B Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 - A warning device, which gives a visible warning to the driver if a set height is exceeded, is required on the motor vehicle if high level equipment which exceeds 3 metre when extended (4 metre if an EC registered vehicle on an international journey) is fitted to a motor vehicle 1st used on/after 1/4/93 or a trailer manufactured on/after 1/4/93.
Exceptions include:

• agricultural vehicles,
  • industrial tractors,
  • tippers 1st used/manufactured before 1/4/98 in relation to the tipping part,
  • works trucks and works trailers,
  • vehicles owned by or under orders of armed forces,
  • car transporters,
  • fire brigade vehicles,
  • towed broken down vehicles and vehicles where the equipment height (fully extended) does not exceed the vehicle height or where the high level equipment is fitted with a locking device, or where 1. above applies in relation to the maximum height.
Rather a lot of info, but it should throw light on the topic.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Not really a valid comparison everyone knows murder is illegal

But till someone posted this how many knew they had to stick a 50mm sticker on there dash with their mh height on it?

Very few because no authority has ever made it publicly known

I'm sure on trucks it will be included in their tests il ask that at work next weekday im in as we've a large fleet

Ignorance of law is no excuse BUT if no one knows of the law it's not ignorance it's lack of the law being enforced

I've never seen a motorhome ever with the same height stickers in as commercial vehicles ......I've seen owner applied stickers etc but that's down to an individual's preference not because it's required by law

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
nice one john . as i said i use david lowes book .
its as good as i need .
it does give good definitions but it might not be the law as written .

ignorance of law in 91 cost many the bus /coach licence .
i only knew because the local ministry tester told me about it . i had a 30 odd foot coach at the time as a camper.
i had hgv so didnt need the medical . but paid 20 quid had a policeman state he knew i had driven one for so long etc i kept it . later i took the test anyway . but thousands lost it in ignorance .

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
tambo,

Regards making things publicly known:
C&U Regs IS publicly known, mate.
Been about for a long time. (1986)
As I said, I've never known it be an issue on a roadside check, so not something to lose sleep over.
It's just another one of those things someone finds out about and all of a sudden it's "new", "taking more money off us", "more shit from the EU" or whatever.
It's none of those, just existing UK legislation that some members have just heard about and had a knee jerk reaction to.

Never known it to be asked on an HGV test either, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

It's not something we should overly be concerned about.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back