Motorhome garage hinges

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by lorger, Mar 30, 2014.

1. lorger

lorger Funster

I have noticed the garage doors on my motorhome are getting slightly stiff and something in my head tells me your not meant to use oil to lubricate them. If this is correct what should I use or is it a certain type of oil.

2. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

If they have nylon (or similar) bushes surrounding the hinge pins, DO NOT use WD40 or similar. It will cause the bushes to swell and make the problem worse. After putting up with stiff hinges and squeaking in dry weather for a few years, I removed the habitation and main garage doors, dismantled the hinges and smeared the pins with silicon grease (available from plumbers for easing pipe joints) then reassembled everything. All good so far (almost one year on).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I use spray grease. Its easier to use and not as messy as a grease gun. I use it on the electric step mechanism and all door hinges, including the garage door. It does not dry out like oil.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Nylon absorbs any wet lubricant no matter what ( I know this from having to deal with many many issues caused by the phenomenon, most commonly people trying to lube bowden cables with nylon liners and fork sliders on some of the small 'monkey bikes' )

If you really want to lubricate anything made of nylon, a dry film type lube is really the only option

• Like Like x 1