Motorhome garage doors swing shut (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
We have just started to prepare our new to us Hymer Starline 680 2006 for it's first journey and found that I'm using brooms propped against the open garage doors to keep them open and to stop them swinging shut.

The original Hymer 2 piece plastic door holders sort of works if it's not windy but in gusts of wind they don't stand a chance as the doors are so large.

My idea was to fit a metal cleat (the same as used on some Hymers for retaining the front screen covers) on the body and one on the door and using some form of hook on strap (like a dog leash eye?) to stop the door from swinging shut.

Anyone come up with a better idea or is there a regular other method you use to keep garage doors that are hinged on the side from moving?

Thanks

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If it does blow shut have you got a release handle inside, ours doesn't and it worries me when it's very windy, ours is top hinged on gas struts but can still blow shut.

It might be worth replacing the plastic catches on yours.

Martin

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thanks Martin. I did think of replacing the catches but they still work quite well. The problem they have (poor design idea) is they are positioned so close to the hinges that the leverage of a gust wind or almost any force on the center or outside of the door can easily pull the catch apart. Maybe I'll experiment with placing the catches further out towards the edge of the door if that's possible as that would allow the catches to work more effectively, but a restrainer seemed like a good idea?

ps: yes there is an internal release handle

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks Martin. I did think of replacing the catches but they still work quite well. The problem they have (poor design idea) is they are positioned so close to the hinges that the leverage of a gust wind can easily pull the catch apart. Maybe I'll experiment with placing the catches further out towards the edge of the door if that's possible but a restrainer seemed like a good idea?
OK if they are close to the hinges forget them, stupid idea.

If you move the catch it will leave holes of course.

Martin

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Probably not a cheap option but you could perhaps fix gas struts to the doors. Some Hymers (like my B614SL) have them. They seem to work quite well.

Mike

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
As said, a stupid idea

s6682a.jpg

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Have same problem on vertical storage door, temporary fix insert tissue !!!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Same problem on my Hymer garage door.. I replaced the catch .. but no better

As a stop gap measure I use a short bungee onto the Truma vent.. not ideal.. but it has saved my back a few times

Gas strut is probably the best solution..

Have the same problem on the hab door.. use a bungee onto the side mirror arm

where would we be without bungees and gaffer tape..
IMG_0101.jpg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
For the lifting garage door I fitted an 'RV Baggage locker catch'..

that works a treat.. prior to fitting this I had a few sore heads .. and yes I know the van is filthy.. :LOL:

IMG_0102.jpg
IMG_0103.jpg

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I think the area of the doors are too large for that style of catch Badknee, like trying to hold a large golfing umbrella when it's windy

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I think the area of the doors are too large for that style of catch Badknee, like trying to hold a large golfing umbrella when it's windy
Well splash out on one of these then like wot yon Savoy do innitt.
It's ya doorman see, 'old it open a treat them duz. ;)

image.jpeg

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I haven't found a solution to the large garage door problem despite replacing the friction catch with a new version of the same.
Regarding the habitation door, I used to have the same problem as Scotjimland and used to fix a strap between door and mirror arm too. Then I fitted a new replacement friction catch and have not had to use the strap since.

I would be careful about attaching a bungee to the Truma vent though as the vents get brittle with age and heat. I poked a finger through the centre of mine last summer in France and had to fit a replacement when we got home.

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
I use a couple of these Mini Dent Puller Suction cups to hold open my garage doors in windy conditions. Attach the suction cup to the motorhome side wall and anchor the doors,even the habitation door, to them with a short bungee strap. I've attached 15mm pipe clips to the fixed handle on the suction cup with a nut and bolt. One of the sides of the pipe clip anchors in the channel running round the door frame,without the need for a bungee.
Sorry can't post a pic of my setup at the moment.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 13

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back