Motorhome Fun less fun with the new alcohol recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Jim I know that drinking destroyed much if not all of what you held dear, I am however saddened by your tale and I have read it on this Forum many times. The Laird of Dunstan gives us a similar tale of woe.

My DIL's brother is an alcoholic and it is destroying him and his family.

I used to buy Alcohol for visitors at Christmas and whatever was left would stay in the cupboard until the next Christmas, that was how little I drank up until a few years ago.

Now when out with friends (funsters or otherwise) I have a few drinks and I thouroughly enjoy the effect that it has on me and I know when to stop as do many others.

I most certainly do NOT need alcahol to have Fun as you put it and it doesn't improve the Fun it merely accelerates it by lowering inibitions.

There are also many benefits to Alcohol consumption and I quote;

1. It Can Lower Your Risk Of Cardiovascular Disease

2. It Can Lengthen Your Life
Drinking occasionally could add a few years to your life. A study by the Catholic University of Campobasso reported that drinking less than four or two drinks per day for men and women respectively could reduce the risk of death by 18 percent, as reported by Reuters.

3. It Can Improve Your Libido
Contrary to prior beliefs, newer research has found that moderate drinking might actually protect against erectile dysfunction in the same way that drinking red wine might benefit heart disease.

4. It Helps Prevent Against the Common Cold

5. It Can Decrease Chances Of Developing Dementia
In a study that included more than 365,000 participants since 1977, as reported in the journal Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment, moderate drinkers were 23 percent less likely to develop cognitive impairment or Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia.

6. It Can Reduce The Risk Of Gallstones
Drinking two units of alcohol per day can reduce the risk of gallstones by one-third, according to researchers at the University of East Anglia. The study found that those who reported consuming two UK units of alcohol per day had a one-third reduction in their risk of developing gallstones. "Researchers emphasized that their findings show the benefits of moderate alcohol intake but stress that excessive alcohol intake can cause health problems," according to the study.

7. Lowers The Chance Of Diabetes

So all in all, I'm going to take my chances okay?

I'm struggling with one or two of your points especially number 7 ... It's largely due to excessive sugar that can be a major contributor to developing type 1 diabetes which can turn into type 1 in time. Most alcoholic drinks are loaded with sugar ..

Alcohol can lower the blood sugar pretty quickly in diabetics and it surprising how few diabetics realise this. It can play havoc with the control of blood sugar levels. But there are no gains as it will cause weight gain even though it's lowering the actual blood sugar levels...

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We had a discussion about this at rugby today and as we had enough of both committees present to declare a quorum we voted and decided it's all cobblers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I'm struggling with one or two of your points especially number 7

According to "Medical Daily" results of a Dutch Link Removed showed that healthy adults who drink one to two glasses per day have a decreased chance of developing type 2 diabetes, in comparison to those who don't drink at all.

It reads well, but don't they all? Make your own mind up, I have.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
According to "Medical Daily" results of a Dutch Link Removed showed that healthy adults who drink one to two glasses per day have a decreased chance of developing type 2 diabetes, in comparison to those who don't drink at all.

It reads well, but don't they all? Make your own mind up, I have.

Excessive sugar is the cause of an explosion in the diagnosis of diabetes... So how on earth can taking in more sugar lower the risk ?
People can kid themselves into believing whatever suits them but look at the facts ?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
look at the facts ?

Moderate Alcohol Consumption Lowers the Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
A meta-analysis of prospective observational studies according to
  1. Link Removed, PHD,
  2. Dodgy Link Removed, PHD,
  3. Dodgy Link Removed, PHD,
  4. Dodgy Link Removed, PHD and
  5. Dodgy Link Removed, MD,
or Charlie on Motorhome Fun saying
Excessive sugar is the cause of an explosion in the diagnosis of diabetes... So how on earth can taking in more sugar lower the risk ?

I don't know Charlie that is why I read such papers.

I do not want to offer myself up as the cut'n'paste king here all I was doing was saying I'm not convinced Alcohol in moderate quantity is as bad for you as some say.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Moderate Alcohol Consumption Lowers the Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
A meta-analysis of prospective observational studies according to
  1. Dodgy Link Removed, PHD,
  2. Dodgy Link Removed, PHD,
  3. Dodgy Link Removed, PHD,
  4. Dodgy Link Removed, PHD and
  5. Dodgy Link Removed, MD,
or Charlie on Motorhome Fun saying

I don't know Charlie that is why I read such papers.

I do not want to offer myself up as the cut'n'paste king here all I was doing was saying I'm not convinced Alcohol in moderate quantity is as bad for you as some say.

Im not for one second saying alcohol is bad !! Everything is fine in moderation and there are far to many saying otherwise !

Blimey we are all different for a start !
Genuinely one of my old customers drank like a fish. He honestly drank a bottle of whiskey every day. He lived till the ripe old age of 92 !

The alcohol got him in the end though........ He was knocked of his bike on the way back from the off licence !

And NO the above is NOT a joke !

Each individuals body copes with various chemicals we throw at it in a different way. One person like in the very genuine example above can get away with blue bloody murder and his body coped.

Yet a young fella I knew many years ago died at 42 from drinking to much. Likely less than the old fella.

So all these guidelines are in some ways hopeless. But it keeps some buggers in a job and fill the "no news" days.

That said the advice is sensible if only to warn those who may not have the strong constituencies to cope with the drink or nicotine or whatever.

But let me assure you that as a diabetic for 40 years throwing sugar down your neck is simply not a good idea. Trust me also its advice well worth listening to as it aint a lot of fun ...

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
im normally so pissed i cant read anyway sod recommendation do wat u want ya gonna die anyway

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
im normally so pissed i cant read anyway sod recommendation do wat u want ya gonna die anyway

Preferably not way before you time though and leaving you family to pick up the pieces.

I have a very close friend who smokes upwards of 60 fags a day. He is 54. His blood pressure is so high he has not passed the medical to keep his HGV licence. His respiratory system is so knackered he can walk say fifty yards and has to stop to get his breath. He is a family man with two sons three grandchildren and of course his wife.

He is taking the same stance as you... I feel sorry for him and angry at him in equal measures. His ignorance though annoys me more than I can find words to explain here. He continues to sit in his chair in a cloud of smoke killing himself.

Sorry I just dont get it. Perhaps I am the ignorant one.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I suppose this comes down to the fact that we are all allowed to choose the way we live and also what we do to affect our "quality" of life AND our "allotted span" dependant on such habits as smoking, drinking and dangerous occupations and hobbies etc..
I started smoking at age 11 because it was "cool" and advertised everywhere as "relaxing" Also started drinking when I joined up at 15 yrs old.. and "gave it some hammer !!!
In the light of up to date thinking and science, I gave up smoking at 45 and don't miss it (now).
But drinking sociably is one of life's pleasures to us and we have a glass of red with our meal most days, sometimes preceded by a sherry..(and more when away in the van in the sun)
If we are with friends we drink a bit more and ENJOY it...
And we shall continue so to do ((Dog willing))
Better than pissing yourself in an old folks home as Brian said !!!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.
Mitch. (Sober) (At the moment) :LOL:

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
@Dorwyn

the very best years of my life have been alcohol free ..
when drinking I never found alcohol to be much fun.. .. it destroyed many years of my life.. cost me my family, job an almost my sanity .

.. why do you need drink to have fun ?

just asking

I have lots of fun without alcohol , being S.O.B.E.R equates to son of a B***ch everything is real!!
It took a long time for me to figure that one out , life is and can be very enjoyable without booze :D:D:D:D:D

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
I drink because I want to not in response to some prats who are trying to get their funding sorted for the next round of nonsense -
NOW WHO'S ROUND IS IT ?

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We enjoy a drink most days, not everyday. Sometimes that's just a glass of wine with dinner, sometimes more. I will be trying to cut back more to help get some weight off. No coincidence huge weight gain and early retirement time spent in van. Like many on here we definitely drink more when away in the van. We enjoy a drink so we have it. I also agree you don't need to drink to have fun but a lot of people don't get that, try saying "I'll just have water" and someone will shout up "don't be a misery get a drink"
I am very aware of the dangers having watched my brother wreck his family with drink and kill himself at 58yrs. So long as I can drink on my terms I will. Cheers.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Having not been a drinker I find that it can be a trifle entertaining to watch the antics of those that do, as they get more sozzled the louder and more rumbustious they become. At Stratford last year I remember the volume going up in stages with the Karaoke. It was getting worse and even the people in the townhouses over the far side were moaning. Some of you lot should be ashamed at the antics you get up to. I was expecting the generator to be cut off by the organisers. Never mine this year will be the same no doubt but there must have been a lot of headaches the next morning because there were a few scowling looks when greeted by Lovely morning.That is what Fun is I supposed but I am a miserable old fart anyway, that cannot put names to faces, so hide in the background in the marquee.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It occurred to me today, plodding down a Spanish road, that we get people posting "I survived demon drink. I kicked the habit. You need to reform."

So let's turn this around. Out of over 20,000 FUNsters a few were unable to control their own mouths and full marks when they did finally get it under control. But that leaves tens of thousands of FUNsters who enjoy a drink, occasionally to excess, then sober. They can control their mouths.

So to those who can't control their mouths from those who can we say "Bog Off".

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
here here
well said mr h lol

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
As the OP, I was raising the issue in fun, neither stating I am a heavy drinker, as some assumed, nor intending to argue for or against drink. As it happens, I am a moderate drinker now leaning to a lower consumption, simply because I find the effects of even moderate drinking too obtrusive in my every day demeanor, ie thicker head than usual, etc. This doesn't mean that I will not have the odd splurge - and regret it. Each to his (or her) own. Just have fun!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
My question Jim......

Had you not been in that 'dark place' for a period of your life and had lead an 'acceptably normal' social drinking life, would you still be asking the same question ?

I've never been s drinker and I asked the same question...

Hats off to Jim and the Laird for admitting how drink affected them I reckon doing that takes some guts..

I am in no way anti drink or anti smoke or anti anything and to be honest I really don't give a monkeys what anyone here or anywhere else does.

But I struggle to think why it is that anyone can find it hard or even question at all a persons ability to have a great time unless they are fuelled by drink.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
due to excessive sugar that can be a major contributor to developing type 1 diabetes which can turn into type 1 in time.
Type 2 cannot become type 1.

Type 2 is the inability for the body to use the insulin produced by the pancreas.
It may also be a lower production than needed but it is produced nonetheless.
Tablets control blood glucose levels which would be the role of the insulin if it could be absorbed or was in sufficient quantity

Type 1 is a total lack of insulin production.
Type 1 can only be 'caught' (for a better word) by complete failure of the pancreas to produce any insulin.....the reason it must be injected.

Its amazing what you learn being diabetic (T2)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back