Motorhome First timers.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tonyand Caroline, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Tonyand Caroline

Tonyand Caroline Read Only Funster

Hi, I'm Tony, single dad with 7 year old daughter. We are thinking of hiring a 6 berth motor-home for two weeks from 20th Dec til 2 of Jan...2 weeks over Christmas. We need two separate bedrooms because an older lady wishes to join us for one of our two weeks (Separate bedrooms).
    We found a 6 berth MH for hire, a Fiat, I think, from Wests of Rainham and it's only 720 for the two weeks. We dreamed of wild camping on a beach or forest, but where. My friend wants the New Forest and Thetford Forest, but I cannot find any beautiful places in those areas. Any other suggestions or help. We were a little disappointed at the small size of the camper and are still looking for a bigger one, maybe 8 berth, any ideas at good prices?
    HELP for us newbies will be appreciated. Tony Caroline and Friend.

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Tony & Caroline, you might struggle to find an 8 berth motorhome for hire. Lots of 6's, not many 8's Most rental vans sleep 'areas' will have a curtain or something similar for privacy but calling them 'bedrooms' is pushing it a bit:Smile:

That time of year you can pretty much wild camp anywhere, beach car parks are deserted. You never know you might get lucky with the weather, but you'd need to be pretty lucky:Smile:

3. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Welcome to Motorhome Fun :Smile::thumb:

4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

As Jim said you will not find many motorhomes for hire with separate bedrooms as such.

The one with those like Rapido's and AutoTrails are not normally on hire fleets,
    £720 for two weeks hire is very cheap!

Peter

5. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Hi and welcome.
    I agree with Jim about the separate bedrooms:Smile:
    You will also find it difficult in a hired vehicle wild camping in the depths of winter. Brrrr
    You would be a lot better off having hook up somewhere. ( Its not likely to be geared up with good batteries , solar panel etc. ) Unless you plan on using a generator for hours on end.

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

hi and welcome to the fun, hiring a van for christmas period may not be such a good idea. To start with you mention wild camping but I suspect any hire van will not have solar power for charging batteries so an Electric hook up will be a must. Especially for first timers as people who are used to just switching on a light etc never think where that electric comes from. christmas could be spoilt if everything goes wrong. Hire to try is a good idea but it is not a house on wheels it is a small box with cooking sleeping and toilet in the same small box. Very little privacy other than a curtain and from experience bending down to put clothes on can result in parts of you appearing the other side of that curtain, hee hee.:Rofl1::Rofl1: I personally thing christmas is not the time for a first trial run and certainly not wild camping. I would normally advise you just to go for it but you seem to need a lot of space etc, ease into it in the warmer summer days.:Cool::Cool:
    [HI]
    A 6 berth motorhome is likely to be over 3500kgs, do make sure you have a licence to drive a private heavy goods vehicle
    [/HI]

7. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

if you want a real home from home get an RV if you can drive one as many are over 7.5Ton :Angry:

8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Bear in mind that size and the number of berths are not directly related. For example ours is a 4berth and is much bigger than many 6berth MHomes. Those with lots of berths are usually fitted with dinettes,sofas etc that convert into beds whereas ours has two double beds that don't convert to anything else and a large washroom.
    What I'm driving at is that an 8berth Mhome is likely to be pretty cramped as all you have are more beds, not more space. I once saw an 6.5m coachbuilt that had been modified to sleep12!

9. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Also, wild camping is specifically not allowed in the New Forest. I have seen people doing it, but likely to be moved on by Forestry commission wardens.

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Be warned, there is no privacy in a motorhome, just too small. And every noise is heard throughout.

11. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Hi and welcome to fun

I see you are in colchester and fun is coming near you soon.

Just because you dont have your own motorhome doesnt mean you cant join in.

Why not join us at Waldegraves, weekend of 25-27 November

They have static caravans for hire at I believe its £130 for the weekend and theres a free meal thrown in on the saturday night and some are going in fancy dress on the saturday evening - theres plenty for the children too. Have a look in the rallies and meets on the home page.

Here is our link

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/rallies-meets/40984-essex-meet-waldegraves-25-27-nov-its-xxxx.html

If you book just add your name to the above link thanks xxxx

12. EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff Funster

Hi Tony & Caroline, these guys know what they are talking about and I think you would be taking far too many risks at a time which ought to be paticularly special for your 7 yr old. Hold the dream for the warmer months and make alternative plans for a special Christmas.
    Good Luck and all the very best.

• Like Like x 1