buffynotathome

Free Member
Mar 20, 2012
scotland
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
hi, new on here, just wanted to tell you about my motorhome fire last year, the fire started in the engine, my husbands quick thinking grabed fire ext, and put out fire, thinking that our insurer would cover us, but quess what, no!!!, why!! because the fire started in the wiring harness, so they would not cover us, But if the whole motorhome went up we would be covered? i thougth that since we had fire insuance we would be cover for a fire, so check your policy, any advice

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
hi, new on here, just wanted to tell you about my motorhome fire last year, the fire started in the engine, my husbands quick thinking grabed fire ext, and put out fire, thinking that our insurer would cover us, but quess what, no!!!, why!! because the fire started in the wiring harness, so they would not cover us, But if the whole motorhome went up we would be covered? i thougth that since we had fire insuance we would be cover for a fire, so check your policy, any advice

Who were your insurers? Was that the only reason they gave for not honoring your insurance?

My CF Autosleeper was damaged by smoke and fire damage to the curtains after an electrical fire in the steering column and I was paid out by CIS insurance.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi and welcome.

personally I would have kicked off.....a fire is a fire, regardless of how it started and should be covered unless its included in the small print exclusions...which i doubt very much.

OP
OP
B

buffynotathome

Free Member
Mar 20, 2012
scotland
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
Who were your insurers? Was that the only reason they gave for not honoring your insurance?

My CF Autosleeper was damaged by smoke and fire damage to the curtains after an electrical fire in the steering column and I was paid out by CIS insurance.

John
hi motor insurace company axa insurance,no assessor came to look at motorhome, just pic we sent and a phone call to garage, they state that they don't cover electrical fault ie wiring harness where fire started, but if the whole van had gone up they would pay for the motorhome less the source of the start of the fire, it cost us 1500 pound to repair, i am so angry, any advice:Angry:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Agree insurance ombudsman and kick ass!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
This must be more common than one thinks :Eeek:The same happened to a acquaintance of ours (car)Upshot was if the fire brigade had turned up a few mins later the insurance would have paid out.As it was they wormed out of paying :Eeek: Upshot is if the van catches fire throw petrol on it ::bigsmile:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back