Motorhome explosion caused by fridge/freezer (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Link Removed

The Isle of Man Fire and Rescue Service has confirmed a fire and explosion in a campervan was caused by a fridge freezer unit.
Crews were called to the scene in Belgravia Road in Onchan yesterday afternoon.
When they arrived the motorhome was well ablaze, but it was extinguished quickly.
People who want fire safety advice for campervans can contact the Community Safety Department on 647300.
http://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_162767.html

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
It was a friend of ours Jim. Only had the MH four months, recently had a gas safety check (last month), and they decided to take their grandchildren to Onchan park. Luckily no-one was in, or near it when the explosion occurred. Totally destroyed.

Craig.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It was a friend of ours Jim. Only had the MH four months, recently had a gas safety check (last month), and they decided to take their grandchildren to Onchan park. Luckily no-one was in, or near it when the explosion occurred. Totally destroyed.

Craig.

Sorry to hear that Craig .. a blessing no one was injured.. hope it doesn't put them off.

There have been at least two recalls by Norcold/Dometic .. a timely reminder for everyone to check there's is not affected..

More info on this thread
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
They are fine Jim, a little shaken, and they are not put off. A bit miffed they will miss the rest of the summer, but relieved no-one was injured. They cannot understand what caused this explosion. When i find out from them i will let you all know.

Craig

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Check out the recall thread that jim posted Craig thast could well point you in the right direction, looks like the manufactures may be liable as a known fault.

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years

Craig.
Cheers Craig,glad to hear nobody was hurt,but still a frightening experience for all concerned,I struggled to find some sensible up to date news on the incident, but its still very upsetting for the family,and we hope they are back on the road soon.
Steve.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Findlaters

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Into our 4th year
Dometic Fridge/Freezer

I checked the Dometic website and found that our model Fridge/Freezer (RM7651) is listed as "may be affected" So phoned them on free phone 00800 3663 8420. After they checked the Model and Serial numbers they confirmed that ours is o/k . It only took 5mins to open the fridge door and take the details from the label in the back, then phone Dometic. It's put my mind at ease.:Smile:

Cheers
Les

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back