Sep 15, 2013
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi All,
After hiring a few different types of motorhomes over the past few years we have just made the decision to buy a new Globecar Globescout panel van. Obviously, hire vehicles come fully equipped, so we would like to know what we need to buy such as electric cable, hose, gas cylinders, chemicals etc. and the best place to buy them from. For example, I was considering purchasing cable and sockets to make up myself, perhaps a few different lengths. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

We are away for a week so please don't be offended if we don't reply to your advice straight away.

Thanks

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you are buying a new one you need to get as much included as possible.

A long and a short cable is a good idea ( 10 + 24m ).

But number one priority is the bottle opener.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i think its a personal thing when it comes to kitting out for the first time....

just because you think you need something doesnt mean you actually do.

im sure you will carry stuff you never, or very rarely, use and wish you bought stuff you really need but never bought.

hookup leads....easy to make if you can tell brown from blue and see the L+ & N marking in the plug and socket.
25mtrs is the accepted max length per lead and must not be tightly coiled in use or it could overheat....fully uncoiled is best.

best not to use domestic white flex but buy proper blue or yellow/orange flex of the correct size....2.5sqmm

blue is better suited to very cold temperatures and remains flexible whereas yellow can become stiff.
white will become brittle at low temperatures.

first essential items on your list..........cork screw and bottle opener :thumb:

Upvote 0

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
If a new van (not just new but new to you), hold out for all you can get ...
EHU cables, at least 1 x 25m, toilet fluids, thermal screens? level ramps, gas bottles included (full), basic cutlery/plates etc (you may not like them but they are a start)

if you really need a cork screw / bottle opener then you should already have one::bigsmile: we got plenty just in case ::bigsmile:

don't ask, don't get, at the end of the day, the seller can only say no -

go for it

Cheers
2dogs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We assume that your ‘van will already be kitted out with bedding inc pillows, crockery, cutlery, saucepan/s, frying pan, etc.

This is the list that we use. Please note that this is not a definitive list – it’s simply what works for us: -

Obviously, you would add your own personal items e.g. medication, toothbrush & toothpaste, razor & shaving foam, deodorant, shampoo etc etc. Also advisable is a small amount of medical requisites, e.g. Paracetamol, Rennies, Germolene.

Even if you have a sat nav, take a map as well. We have the AA Truckers Atlas
Vehicle and Appliance Manuals
Breakdown/insurance phone and policy numbers
I pod & charger
Phone & charger
Camera & charger
Kindle or books to read
Notebook & pen
Smoke/CO detector
Spare ‘van keys
Cable for Electric Hook-Up
Gas Spanner
Waste Water Bucket
Fresh Water Hosepipe & fittings – in case there’s only a water tap at your destination
5 litre Fresh Water Carrier – for drinking water
Levelling Blocks – if the ‘van is on very uneven ground then you could fall out of bed!
Spirit level for levelling up
Small Electric Fan Heater – if the campsite is arbitrarily charging for electricity then why use your gas heater?
And, for the same reason, an Electric Kettle
Portable Radio
Battery lantern or Torch & spare batteries
High visibility jacket just in case the MH breaks down
Small Tool Kit inc Screwdrivers and Pliers
Gaffa/Duct and Insulating Tape
A few cable ties
Spare fuses
WD40
3-in-1 Oil
1 litre Engine Oil
Tyre Pressure Pump and gauge
Marigold Gloves - useful to give you extra grip when trying to loosen something
Clothes pegs
Dustpan & Brush
Supermarket Carrier Bags - for containing your daily rubbish
First Aid Kit
Toilet Fluid/Cleaner
Toilet Rolls
Soap
Flannels
Towels
Slippers!
Coat Hangers
Kitchen Roll
Tea Towels
Small Washing-Up Bowl
Small Dish Drainer
Dish Cloth
Scourer
Oven Gloves
Cook's (extra long) matches
Tin Opener
Bottle Opener
Scissors
Funnel
Chopping Board
Bread Board
Anti-Bacterial Worksurface Wipes (from the Pound Shop!)
Cooking Oil
Sugar
Tea/Coffee
‘Coffee Mate’ Creamer
Cold Drinks
Small supply of canned goods e.g. Tomatoes, Sweetcorn, Baked Beans, Sardines etc
Small pack of Rice
Packet of pasta
And, if the weather is good …. Outdoor Table & Chairs

Grocery items: -
Generally it won’t be that difficult to buy your own choice of consumables such as bread, butter, milk, eggs, bacon, potatoes, fruit & vegetables etc at your destination so, in the above list, we’ve only included items that have a longer shelf life or could be useful en route.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If you get to make your own leads can I suggest you invest in Newlec ends, they have round glands on cable entry that screw down and seal properly, so many are just holes cut in plastic caps with no significant seal. We use them for work and have had no problems with water ingress since changing.

On the water front I invested in one of everything, hoses, connectors etc. but every site I have been to has a hose fitted, but I did also buy a 12 litre watering can, fill that twice a day, if we start full this easily keeps up with consumption, saves moving van (but this does presume you have on board water)

David

Upvote 0

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
A good book, bottle of wine, gin, tonic, ice cube tray, camera, passport, EHIC, triangle, hi-vis vests, breathalysers (am I jumping the gun by listing stuff needed for Europe?) :thumb:

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Get a flat hose, it takes up less space and usually empties as you wind it up. And hose to tap adapters. Get all the different sizes there are, you can guarantee the first tap you get to will be a different size than the one that came with the hose.
And antibacterial wipes because you don't know who emptied their toilet out and cleaned it using the fresh water supply!
You can get a combined corkscrew/can/ bottle opener to save space
Allan

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Get a flat hose
I really do not get these, I bought one gave it away unused, you have to roll it all out to use a few feet.

Only my opinion of course

I can understand that. We have two flat hoses, one is about 5 metres with a Whale connector one end ( our van fresh tank has this connection on the side of the van with auto shut off when the tank is full) the other is 20 metres. We use the smaller one to fill the van at service points, the longer one is there in case we can't get that close, which has happened a few times. It only takes a minute to roll it up and takes up very little space. You could also take a shorter roll of normal hose if you only ever need a couple of feet.
Allan

Upvote 0
OP
OP

4Star

Free Member
Sep 15, 2013
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you for all of your replies. There is some invaluable information there, a good portion of it revolving around alcohol ::bigsmile:
We negotiated a deal at the show for the red Globescout 2014 model with the inclusion of an awning, cycle carrier, cruise control, additional leisure battery and parking sensors for less than the show window price which suited our budget. The 2013 models had a £500 cash back offer which we missed out on so we tried to squeeze a full tank of diesel out of them as well. I still think that there is some haggling to be done on accessories as your posts have mentioned. I'm toying with the idea of having them fit a tow bar for a motorcycle trailer.

How about stowing crockery and the like to help reduce rattling? Rubber matting? We also have a Parson Russell Terrier, does anyone use some kind of anchor point for a long lead in a panel van?

Sitting here on a roof top balcony at a penthouse apartment in Lagos, Portugal, with 27C temperature and all we can think about is getting out in the van :Smile:

Thanks again for the help.

Upvote 0

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
Just a few more things to Val and Robs great list that we have always taken on our French travels by car every year.

Umbrella
Warning triangle
Bulb set (compulsary)
Hi vis wear for all occupants (compulsary)
Jump leads (automatic car)
Small bottles of various car fluids, brake fluid, screen wash etc
Screen covers
Bug spray for windscreen sponge and chammy
:thumb:

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Has anyone mentioned levelling blocks? We have some that we use occasionally, usually if we start sliding out of the bed, or the sink starts filling up instead of emptying when we take the plug out.......
Allan

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
you need an A4 pad and pencil :Eeek:

so when you are away, as you realise your missing something or need to amend or adjust storage etc write it down.:thumb:

i still keep a small note pad in the dash and still use it occassionally:Doh:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back