Motorhome driving course? (1 Viewer)

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
My biggest problem was ear ache, 1st day after getting the van on the road we were in France. I kept getting deafened with "your going to hit that kerb" "told you" - best advice get some ear plugs.:).

If you were repeatedly hitting the kerb, your biggest problem was that you were not competent to drive your van.

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Having spent the last 30 years driving 45ft Artics I still remember my first instructor telling me you should check both mirrors every 8 seconds. The only part of the road you cannot see properly is behind you which is why on this MoHo I have fitted a camera. If you are not a completely confident driver I would strongly recommend ringing round the HGV trainers for a quick course. They are very used to teaching nervous, scared, cocky people but still get the message over. Do not become another statistic on our roads for the sake of a few pounds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
From a woman, Dawn .............. just get in and drive. All you have to remember is, that unlike in a car, do not hog the kerb EVER .. DRIVE IN THE CENTRE OF YOUR LANE. When turning left do not turn your van left before you pull up at the junction just draw level (as when turning right at a right angle.) When your road is clear pull out and then turn your wheel so that you are not right up to the left kerb. If in doubt USE YOUR LEFT HAND WING MIRROR .. IT IS THE MOST VITAL PIECE OF EQUIPMENT WHEN MOTORHOME DRIVING.

After half an hour you will wonder what all the fuss was about. :)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
as a hgv driver I would go to a hgv school.

Reactions: f6c

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The cheapest way is to go to an empty car park, supermarket after they close early on a Sunday. All the roadways have markings and you can drive without being worried of hitting kerbs etc. you can work out the turning circle, how the overhang swings out and when your happy try a reverse into bays. It's all there for you and wide open and flat. :D

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
At the risk of bricks being thrown at me, don't listen to my mate said all the advice in the world won't keep your no claims or worse a trip to the hospital, if in doubt in any way about your confidence or competence go get professional training a couple of hundred quid + the dreaded should buy you an invaluble 4hours and if we did it and you could genuinely say you didn't enjoy it or gain invaluble knowledge I would give you your money back, that's how certain and strongly I feel about it, ask the many on here and Rvoc that have done it.

I am not saying all need it but I guarantee all will benefit from it, I have 43 class one experience 40yrs LHD Rv's and 20years + training experience and I still benefit from going out with an instructor as do my instructors.

All the best Rick

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
One other thought, as you know I've ordered a new MoHo and my Jackie is a little tense at driving this slightly larger vehicle, perhaps if time is not pressing you could organise a MoHo Driving Meet, including competitions for the boys reversing 9 metre vans in between soft bollards, that sort of thing.

Get Jim maneuvering with his new van with all the slide outs extended....
We are up for that, Sandra wants some tuition before she will drive our motorhome.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
We are up for that, Sandra wants some tuition before she will drive our motorhome.

While we can't park overnight I do have a 1 mile runway we lease 4 lanes wide near Melton Mowbray it also has 5 test approved reverse pads painted on it, we can do a Saturday free and if people want to chip in I am sure one of my instructors would love the overtime to be there choice is yours.

All the best Rick

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
What Rick said is absolutely spot on. No matter how good you are you can always learn more. What surprised me the most was not that I learned anything but how much I did learn from my HGV instructor.

Looking forward to my next lessons Rick @motor roamin

Sounds like a great idea for a rally weekend Rick?

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Take it to the junction of the M4 at Swansea. Swap seats with Martin. Drive from there to our place just to get the hang of handling it. Always easier to do on a motorway. Stay in the inside lane and cruise at whatever speed you want to go at. Keep driving it on Uk motorways to build your confidence. Let yourself loose on Euro motorways in September - job done! Once you have confidence in driving it on motorways town driving will come easy.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Right I need to bite the bullet and start driving our motorhome, it's a 7.3 metre long Left hand drive automatic Hymer.
I'm too nervous to just get in it and drive so I'm considering a course.
I've found a CC one near me in April £155 for the day.

Anyone else done one? Or should I look at HGV lesson?

Any advice?

Don't forget we are in South wales and will need something nearish.

I' m in the same boat......well MH:LOL: Bill has always driven our van, but I would like to be able to drive it just in case the situation should arise when he's not well and we need to get home.

I have thought about HGV lessons, but everyone says just get out into the van in a large, quiet open space and try to build up a bit of confidence. I know I should but the idea scares me more than just a bit.......we're just about 8 metres with towbar:sick:

I should bite the bullet but when I mention going for a couple of lessons, hubby will say it's just like driving a wider and longer car......watch your mirrors and you'll be fine:( I think I would be more confident going on a course or at least having a couple of lessons at an HGV place.

I think the CC course was around £150 the last time I looked.......but I know how you feel. Let us know what you decide to do.

Margaret

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Never ever done a course...

Driven since 1973 with C1...

Just got out and done it...

Just about to go from 8.2 metres to 9.0 metres...

Slow and steady, use your mirrors and don't get rattled...

(y)Just said the exact same thing to Margaret...we've both got the C1 licences......usually if someone rattles her, she'll let them know she's not happy.

Bill:)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'll definitely look into HGV trainers able to teach me in my van.

I will also post when I'm about to go out on the roads so you can all stay home!
Not saying there is anything wrong with my driving but my girlfriends always draw lots to avoid sitting in the front.

You're not far away. Just drive it to our place on the hill. If you get here without a scratch, no need for a course and you can celebrate by opening a bottle of wine. If you scratch it or worse, that's a great excuse for you and Siân to open a bottle of wine :)

Last edited:

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
While we can't park overnight I do have a 1 mile runway we lease 4 lanes wide near Melton Mowbray it also has 5 test approved reverse pads painted on it, we can do a Saturday free and if people want to chip in I am sure one of my instructors would love the overtime to be there choice is yours.

All the best Rick
As I work full time, I would love to do a Saturday course. Also interested in driving tips for RHD in Europe where most of our touring is done. Please feel free to get in touch with details via PM

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
You're not far away. Just drive it to our place on the hill. If you get here without a scratch, no need for a course and you can celebrate by opening a bottle of wine. If you scratch it or worse, that's a great excuse for you and Siân to open a bottle of wine :)

Thanks for the offer Jim, driving over to yours down all those twiddly roads would certainly be a baptism of fire.

As to the wine, Sian and I don't need an excuse!

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
When we got our LHD RMB I did a search online and found about 3 instructors/schools that did things like minibus training for the LA , all close by.
I chose one at random who turned out to have his own school and did little training himself but answered my query himself because he had a motorhome.
Best 2 hours I had. And not that expensive

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Mousy's post spurred me to drive our MH which I've put off for a year. It's 7m manual gearbox, the biggest vehicle I've driven before is a family saloon. We're not on a trip so it wasn't loaded. I drove for about 15 mins on a variety of roads. I was a bit tense at first but took it slow and careful and soon relaxed and even got up to 50mph!! The main thing for me was to remember to watch the rear wheels on corners, and the slight overhang/swing out. Luckily, mr reckless is very calm & patient, and has experience driving large vehicles. I'd now feel happy to be a relief driver if needs be.
Karen

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Well done Karen! I still haven't taken the plunge........I will need to stop putting obstacles in the way.
Our previous van was a couple of feet shorter than this one and I had a go in that, I thought I was in 1st but was in 3rd gear when moving off........the gear box didn't like it at all:(

I really think the HGV idea might be the best one for me.

Margaret:)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
If you do go for an HGV lesson, try to get somebody who also has driven moho's - there's a difference - it's your investment, your part-time home, your pride & joy; you have your personal stuff in it, everything including the kitchen sink, crockery rattling about (hopefully not); sometimes less sympathy/ different expectations from car drivers than HGV have - AND you're (usually) not on a time schedule.
Having said that, anything that gives us confidence is good. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back