Motorhome drainage

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Kidderdo, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Kidderdo

Kidderdo Read Only Funster

Hi All, I have recently just moved from a caravan to a motorhome. We have a team roller 600g, there are two brown water tanks under the coach with pull drainage releases.

I am about planning our first trip, the campsite we are going to has on site drainage connections. My question is, is there a kit to connect the tanks to these on pitch drainage points, I have just measured the outlet points which are approx 2 inch / 5 cm diameter..I have no idea what I needed etc, help and advise much appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  2. brynric

brynric Funster

I bought some appropriately sized hose from a garden centre. It means that I don't have to park exactly over the drain, especially useful in the uk.
    In my limited experience many European sites have far more flexible drainage arrangements than the UK. When we stayed on a site with on-pitch drainage we kept the water on board as usual and just manoeuvred to drain it when we left.

3. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Our van is an Italian build, so apart from it being a rhd, pretty much everything else is biased towards continental motorhoming.

The grey tank outlet is massive ( about 3" ) and is quite low too, so when plotting up long term ( as we are at the moment ) it has always been a reet pain in the parts, and involved a 25 ltr container, funnel made from the top of a 5 ltr water bottle ( low profile :Wink: ), a stick to poke the thing in to the middle of the van, and a bit of string to pull the bloody container back out from under.

I went to plumb centre and bought a sink bottle trap, cut the baffle out to allow free flow, and just used the bottom half of it..and it just screwed straight in to the rubber seal that is fitted in the bottom of the dump valve.

Attached a short bit of 50mm plastic pipe to the outlet and using a jubilee clip attached a long lump of convoluted black plastic pipe to that...

Now when I am on site for anything more than a couple of days I nip under the van, screw the pipe to the bottle trap outlet and the pipe can either run in to a drain ( as it is at this very moment ) or in to a water waste hog which has enough capacity to last 3 or 4 days between empties...

4. WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan Funster

Some newer German Stellplatz have the drain inside a shuttered box from which you can draw fresh water as well as drain your tank. You will need a length of hose to reach these. Corrugated Hoover hose or large bore flexible hosing. Autotrail sell a flexible corrugated hose with a tapered end which you shove up the drain pipe :Eek!: Works out quite expensive when you include carriage.
    But when we camped at Nagles, on the west coast of Ireland, it wasn't long enough.........so now we have two :Doh:

5. aba

aba

i got some flexible hose from a local aquarium shop as its used on pond pumps etc. and they have a range of sizes.
    its wrinkly on the outside like a hoover hose (and some funsters:Rofl1:) but smooth on the inside and i think it cost something like 50p per metre.

6. Kidderdo

Kidderdo Read Only Funster

Quick response

Hi All

Thanks fr your super quick response, I am going to have a look in B&Q, if any one else has any suggestings would be much appricated.
    Thanks again

7. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

I would appreciate sites providing a drive-over drain where motorhomes can be accommodated. I suspect many don't realise that we have different systems from caravans.

Wyn

• Like Like x 1
  8. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

machine mart do a selection of pipe suitable for getting rid of waste water the lay flat type would be a lot easier to store

9. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

My dump valve is on the left hand side of the vehicle as you stand facing it, so with the one way systems that the two caravan sites that I have stayed on have, my valve is on the wrong side for using the drains. Would have to attach the pipes, then sling them under the van and into the drain.:Doh: So far have made do with a small low profile bucket and wandered back and forth tipping the contents down the drain.

I had a lovely big low profile bucket, but forgot it was under the dump valve, and reversed up onto my blocks and the bucket! Got very squashed! :RollEyes:

10. maz

maz Funster

I just use a Wickes builder's bucket, tilted at an angle if necessary. Cost 89p. I managed to drive over it once in my 4.5 tonne van and it just sprang back into shape. :thumb:

11. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

You have no idea how pleased I am to hear that someone else drove over their bucket! :Rofl1: Thanks for the tip!