Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
I saw these mentioned on another forum :whistle: and thought what a good idea - obviously an invention to solve a need so good luck to the inventor. :thumb:

They won't work for our Sprinter-based van so I had Link Removedfitted - same principle.

I think anything that acts as a visible deterrent has to be good news if it prevents an entry attempt - the problem with alarms is they are after the event when the damage has been done and the scallywags have already run off with whatever they could grab:Angry:.

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Nice post K, it looks a really neat, simple solution doesn't it?
Like it very much.....

Keith

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
I saw these mentioned on another forum :whistle: and thought what a good idea - obviously an invention to solve a need so good luck to the inventor. :thumb:

They won't work for our Sprinter-based van so I had Link Removedfitted - same principle.

I think anything that acts as a visible deterrent has to be good news if it prevents an entry attempt - the problem with alarms is they are after the event when the damage has been done and the scallywags have already run off with whatever they could grab:Angry:.

The problem with the first one is that although there are 460,000 different key combinations, unfortunately they can be all opened with one pen.........

I could show a video of how simple it is to do, but why educate the odd scrote who doesnt already know.

The second one will stop uninformed opportunists, but will not stop a clued up thief...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
The problem with the first one is that although there are 460,000 different key combinations, unfortunately they can be all opened with one pen.........

Same as kensington I take it? I saw them at a show but didn't realise that they used the same barrel...

OP
OP
superk

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years

I could show a video of how simple it is to do, but why educate the odd scrote who doesnt already know.

The second one will stop uninformed opportunists, but will not stop a clued up thief...

and your expert solution is? ::bigsmile:

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi Bryan

ANY lock that looks like that (see below) can be beaten in seconds, propbably quicker than having the key (as the key as to be placed in a certain way

Link Removed

If you have anything that locks with one of those it is vunerable, what the hell here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zy8sEj8etU&mode=related&search=

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi Superk

and your expert solution is?

Ilogical, allow me to retort, just because I show why one lock is totally useless, does not mean I need to show a better solution.

OP
OP
superk

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Hi Superk

Ilogical, allow me to retort, just because I show why one lock is totally useless, does not mean I need to show a better solution.

Granted no need but whilst decrying others always helpful to suggest a better alternative if you have one.

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Just for the record though ANYTHING is better than that type of lock, a knotted pce of string would take longer to get past.

But when you think about it motorhome security is futile, for example take a plastic carrier bag from a supermarket would it be secure if you padlocked the handles together? Obviously not and this is the problem with any motorhome security product it cannot cover the fundemental weaknesses of a motorhome.

Tracker's can be blocked by a homemade device costing less than £5 to build.

If fact name any motorhome security product and I will show you why it is utterly pointless.

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi Superk

Its not decrying others, it is giving people information on which to base their decisions.

OP
OP
superk

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Just for the record though ANYTHING is better than that type of lock, a knotted pce of string would take longer to get past.

But when you think about it motorhome security is futile, for example take a plastic carrier bag from a supermarket would it be secure if you padlocked the handles together? Obviously not and this is the problem with any motorhome security product it cannot cover the fundemental weaknesses of a motorhome.

Tracker's can be blocked by a homemade device costing less than £5 to build.

If fact name any motorhome security product and I will show you why it is utterly pointless.
OK so what your saying is that there's no better solution than leaving your motorhome unlocked so as not to incur any entry damage? I'll just say that I'm not a great fan of motorhome security products either but I'm happy with the Armaplate that I had fitted along with some other things for my own reasons.

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Why do people draw ilogical conclusions and then insist on "quoting" me as saying something?

For the record I did not say leave your motorhome open, nor that that is the best solution.

What I do say is that no extra security device is going to stop your vehicle being robbed and/or taken away at will.

Nor will it delay a thief, nor will it make him pick on another van, if yours is the model required, consider it gone.

OP
OP
superk

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Why do people draw ilogical conclusions and then insist on "quoting" me as saying something?

For the record I did not say leave your motorhome open, nor that that is the best solution.

What I do say is that no extra security device is going to stop your vehicle being robbed and/or taken away at will.

Nor will it delay a thief, nor will it make him pick on another van, if yours is the model required, consider it gone.

So why bother locking the van?

wildcamper

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
High Top
Exp
Hi,

We always lock our motorhome:Smile:
But in all honesty I can say we have only ever had an alarm & thatcham disc lock as sercurity:Eeek: We never leave anything out on show.
I personally think having extra locks & gadgets securing the camper doesn't deter a thief, it only seems to highlight the fact that there's something worth robbing:cry:
As I say this is only my opinion, some people use the locks at night so they feel safe & secure, but again always remember if you need to get out in an emergency every second counts:RollEyes:

Ken & Dawn.

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi all

Something I forgot to mention regarding the brightlock, it is one of those inventions that doesnt cover the inherent weakness.

Caravan doors are extremely weak, with a simple tool it is easy to open the door, at a caravan park I was attending to do some accounting work, the owner needed to get inside a caravan but didnt have the keys, I didnt have the actual tool but was able to open the door in seconds with an improvised tool.

The same would apply to the bright lock, even if it was not so easy to pick that a child could do it, it doesnt cover the basic weakness of the door.

But the problem would not end there even if you could secure the door, a motorhome is a mass of easy entry points.

Sorry if this info dissapoints a few people, but its best that people know the truth.

George

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back