Motorhome Documents

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dave34m, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Dave34m

Dave34m Read Only Funster

I'm a New Zealander who will be travelling in Europe this year in a motorhome that will be legally owned by a friend (as I'm not a UK or euporean resident). The motorhome will be in his name but I will have insurance to include me. I have seen in other threads that documents for vehicles are checked from time to time, what documents are you required to show? Do I need a letter from the legal owner saying I am using (renting) his motorhome so they are not concerned it has been stolen.

I will be doing the normal western, central and some eastern european countries.

Regards
    Dave

2. big map

big map Funster Life Member

Hi Dave.

I believe you will need to carry the original documents for the vehicle and insurance plus a letter from the owner giving you permission to use the vehicle within UK and other countries.

Mike.

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Mike is correct except one point...
    in the uk you dont legally need to carry any documents, and its advisable not to as the risk of theft is always possible.
    if you get stopped you will be given a '7 day wonder'..
    this is a ticket to produce the requested documents to a police station of your choice.
    probably worth carrying your driving licence though as that wont be on the PNC.

the police can, and do, check at the roadside on the police national computer (PNC) to see if a vehicle is MOT tested, road taxed, insured and not stolen.

europe is a different ballgame altogether....as Mike said, ALL documents MUST BE CARRIED BY LAW.
    they must be the originals and if the van isnt yours then an addressed and signed letter stating that will be advisable.
    it may be worth carrying this in the uk as an aid but isnt a legality.

the van owner will need insurance with you as a named driver or for any driver.
    as a foriegn national you wont get insurance in your own right.

if, for ANY reason, the van doesnt show as insured on the PNC the police now have the power to confiscate the van on the spot and it will cost approx £130 plus £12 per day storage charges to retrieve it plus you must provide proof of insurance.
    errors can and do happen on the insurance database.
    otherwise the vehicle is destroyed without compensation after, i believe, 14 days.

this also applies to roadworthiness..ie..bald tyres etc

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

I would not have any letter saying you are HIRING it, a normal letter saying you have permission to use it is enough.

Peter

5. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Your letter, Ie consent to use the vehicle should not say anything about renting or hireing unless the proper type of hire for reward insurance is in place
    If its a normal private insurance with you as named driver then hireing to you for a fee would invalidate the insurance:Doh:
    Geo

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ooops...forgot to mention that :Doh:

something along the line of...

I (name) authorize (name) to use this vehicle (reg No) free of charge for an indefinate period. (signed and address)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  7. Dave34m

Dave34m Read Only Funster

Thank you all for your very helpful information.

Regards

Dave