Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
How much do you reckon, in percentage terms, does a motorhome lose in value. On average. I am guessing, 5% loss on day one, and then 10% a year. But that does make the losses look a bit steep:Eeek: in your experience, am I guessing right or am I way off? So if you by a new rig for £50k today is it worth less that half you bought it for in 5 years. ?

• After 10 minutes its worth £47.500
  • 1 year = £42 500
  • 3 years =£ 32,500
  • and 5 years £22,500
Your thoughts or examples would be appreciated

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
We replaced our Apache for a Brand new Cheyenne after 3 months and lost over 2 grand. The salesman reckoned that just by taking the new one off the lot we'd lose at least another 2 grand off the price. I cope by not trying to think about it. We hope to keep this one for 3 years then part ex it for an A class when Kath retires and I get my C1 back so we hope it keeps a high exchange value.

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Hi Jim. As with any new vehicle you loose the Taxes first [ouch] and the the depreciation on top. The dealer will want 10% / 15% profit if not more across the deal. It also depends on the condition. What I advise to myself is never buy new. Let some one else pay the Taxes. But then, I am a tight old git. :thumb:
Pudseykeith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
But caravans however!!!!

I sold my 2005 Ace Jubilee Statesman in late 2005 and got £7500 for it in chop but value now to buy 5 years on £7000 plus

I sold my 2006 model Bailey Senator Louisiana series 5 twin axle for £11250 in may 2006 and value now £10000 plus

But I did initially take biggish losses on both on new prices till I chopped them.

Wished in a way I had kept one of them now but when getting a 2nd Great Dane selling the Louisiana was necessary as 30 stone rushing around in it something had to give:Doh::ROFLMAO:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I think your right about the initial rate, but it reduces over time and may even level out, an example is the camper we bought for £10,000 in 83, saw exactly the same model and year a couple of years back, in good nick for £5,000

I did a check on ours at the DVLA and it hasn't been taxed since 1999, bit sad really, we had some good times in it.

Olley

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
It does look a bit severe when printed in front of you but I reckon your not far out. I'm in the process of getting some Insurance renewal qoutes and for Insurance purposes Ive valued my mh at £XK.

This has been my valuation for Insurance purposes for the last two years. Based on this and no real knowledge of my mh make, type etc he wanted me to reduce the value by 50% of may valuation.:whatthe:

Its crazy.

As a side issue:
I ran my car through an Insurance Company web site yesterday and had to imput a value, which I did.

After a little more data input the web site recognised my car and reduced the value by £500.00. It seems as though the industry is helping to manipulate the value of my vehicle.

I will watch this post with interest in case anybody can come up with actual figures based on real time experience.

Jim
:roflmto:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think that a good quality motorhome, that gets down to the 10k to 20k price range seems to stay there. Its not uncommon for people to buy a motorhome for 20k and sell it 2 years later for the same money. Its those early 5 years where the hit is taken.

And when you think that after losing 50% of their price many of those motorhomes have probably done less that 25,000 miles only been lived in for around 12 weeks max. A good 4 or 5 year old model seems to be the prudent choice. Even better value when you add all the bits added which cost £££ but add no real ££ to the sale price. Sat and extra batteries etc

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
I reckon you loose the 15% as you drive off the forecourt and then 10-12% pa after that. Once you are down below the £20k mark it levels off and depends on how much the buyer likes the van.

We once thought about a new Frankia which would have cost us £120k. Decided against that but saw the same van spec on mobile.de offered 1 year later with 900 miles on the clock at --- £80k
That works out at about £44 per mile:Eeek:
Patrick

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just to put things in perspective, I bought a new Merc car in 1989 it was £12,000
My Tiffin when new in 89 was £18,000, the Merc is now worth £200 on a good day but the Tiffin is still worth £10,000.
Also I know which one I had more pleasure from.::bigsmile:

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
One of the big issues with this is that when you put a value down on the insurance documents you will NEVER get any more than that if the worst happens; so if you undervalue you MH to save a few quid and it gets written off thats the max you will get whatever the real value is. Why? because you have made a contract with the insurance comany.....and in this case they will stick to it like glue.

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
motorhome value

i paid 30k new for my van, after 5 years if i get around 15k for it i'll be well pleased.
before we bought the van we were spending 8k a year on holidays so we will be quids in.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Realistically if you are going to chop the van in after 3/6 months you are looking at a straight 20% off list, maybe less depending on how the deal is constructed.

12.5% if you sell the van privately as no buyer will pay 'newish' price on a private sale.

No dealer is going to be that excited as the new van he has got in stock is 99% likely to be on a finance stocking plan and he does not pay for it until it is sold, whereas the p/x he has to pay for and thats eating into his cash flow or overdraft.

Peter

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
How much do you reckon, in percentage terms, does a motorhome lose in value. On average. I am guessing, 5% loss on day one, and then 10% a year. But that does make the losses look a bit steep:Eeek: in your experience, am I guessing right or am I way off? So if you by a new rig for £50k today is it worth less that half you bought it for in 5 years. ?

• After 10 minutes its worth £47.500
  • 1 year = £42 500
  • 3 years =£ 32,500
  • and 5 years £22,500
Your thoughts or examples would be appreciated
Hi Jim I can agree with your figures up to a point, possibly a bigger chunk off in the first year :ROFLMAO: I think after 3 years the drop is about 2k per year giving you a total @ 5 yrs nearer 28k :thumb: possibly nearer 30 k
When I first looked at m/hs I looked at lots and one type caught my eye that I read about and the seller did not know the value so had wrote to a mag for a value at 10 yrs, any way the mag valued it at 13k pointing out that when it was new it only cost 13.5k :ROFLMAO:- moral of story keep it for ten yrs :thumb:
terry

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
When we bought ours we had a test drive in a new one and really liked it then we saw ours for sale privately. It was just over a year old had a few extras like tracker awning swivel seat and a few other small things with only 1800 miles on it and we paid £10k less than the new one we had a test drive in the week before. We will be looking to change it maybe next year or one after that and will look for something around a year old.

Gerry

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
So what’s the optimum length of time you should keep your van ?
Assuming you bought second hand at say £40K when would you look to replace ?

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If you are buying 'the usual suspects' then depreciation is fairly high - you would be better off with a used! During the last year, many used have actually gained in value, due to the shortages.

Even now, looking on the forecourts, the used have dropped in quality after the shortage problems, but an 97 C-Class is still only 3k LESS than an 06 c-class, of the 'Usual suspects' ilk! Quite surprising, and I can only put this down to the juddergate putting people off the newer models!

Depreciation would be least in something German, though they tend to drop around 10k in the first few years. Which would suggest buying one two years old!:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just to put things in perspective, I bought a new Merc car in 1989 it was £12,000
My Tiffin when new in 89 was £18,000, the Merc is now worth £200 on a good day but the Tiffin is still worth £10,000.
Also I know which one I had more pleasure from.::bigsmile:

likewise dave....54 plate hilux invincible 4X4 doublecab ....
new...£21,000 + ....looked to sell a while back and average price now is £7k
over 60% depreciation in 5 years...:Angry:

kontiki.... £29000.
if i leave everything on that i fitted...sat dish, leds, 2 extra batts, inverter, solar panel, 3 stage charger, towbar etc i MIGHT get it back, or very close i reckon. two years on

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I think it's really difficult to make an economic arguement for buying a camper/motorhome - just the same with a car really.

The original owner of my current old Duetto paid £25k and sold it to me for ten after 10 years. Cost: thirty quid a week over period plus fuel etc. On the other hand my V70 cost £25k ten years ago and is worth about a grand now - so £50 a week ......... and you can't go on holiday in it.

There's a moral here somewhere but I can't think what it is!:Cool:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
So what’s the optimum length of time you should keep your van ?
Assuming you bought second hand at say £40K when would you look to replace ?
:ROFLMAO: When you are bored/fed-up or fancy a change :thumb: or wish to blow some cash :ROFLMAO: Having converted ours over 3 yrs ago ( problem free ) we are thinking ( yet again ) of changing to a newer model ::bigsmile:Trouble is we still like what we have and the layout we have got.:Doh: may be hang onto it another year or two then :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
PS i do not expect to loose much on the deal,may even turn it into a profit :thumb:
terry

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
It can depend on the van and the layout.

In 2006 I recall looking at a 2004 CI Carioca 15 low profile, which had a double dinette with settee opposite, a fixed bed and a separate shower. We were not over impressed by the quality.
I recently saw a couple of these vans, also 2004 reg.

Price new £25,000
Price in 2004 £22,500
Price in 2009 £21,000

All dealer prices
Cheap motorhoming .............

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries