Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
yes I know about them they've been selling my motorhome now for nearly 3 weeks I signed a contract with them for 3 months. there asking 2k more tha what I wanted for it. if I went ahead and sold it myself it would have gone long since we just want a smaller van 2 berth. if I pulled out now they would bill me for£2k. when my son found out he went berserk.so I will just wait now till the three months are up steve

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If it's up for only 2k more than you wanted there's a good chance they will find a buyer :thumb:
terry

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Unfortunately I dont know any dealers in your neck of the woods that I could recommend, you could ring Camper UK, they might be able to help

Peter

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
is david fuller is near you ? .

OP
OP
S

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
Exp
im a newbie
If it's up for only 2k more than you wanted there's a good chance they will find a buyer :thumb:
terry
no they will take the extra two grand that's their cost so if I would have sold it myself iwould have sold it for£11k they want the other 2grand and I cant back out so beware of them their a scam steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
no they will take the extra two grand that's their cost so if I would have sold it myself iwould have sold it for£11k they want the other 2grand and I cant back out so beware of them their a scam steve

What cost, they havent any costs as such, if i take a van on contract sale, the only costs that would be incurred if the owner took it off my forecourt would be valeting and cleaning costs,

No three months nonsense, bit like estate agents sole agency.......

Peter

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I would just go and get the van there scammers by the look of things they would have to prove cost and expenses I know a layer who would have them diapering up there own ar.....s hole with the first letter
scamming tw..ts
bill

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
:thumb::thumb::thumb:Hi,The people on here seem to be all the same,dealers have to give warrantys and clean it and prepare an advert,then maybe take a part exchange,all things to be considered they have to have enough money in it to do a deal,if some one offers them less money (every body wants a deal) they then have to discount or dont you understand nobody does something for nothing,sell it youself and the first person to come will say how much will you take for it, so there you are,they will never sell for the asking price that is a starting price,i will wait for the stupid replies,thats why this country is in the s---t,because of cheap imports etc,and all the shops in the high street,farmers etc cannot make a profit,because of people selling crap at a cheap rate,and people who want something for nothing,if you cannot make a profit you cannot carry on as many will tell you,this is not trying to have a go at you,just thought your comments a little unfounded,regards H,

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I bought my Burstner from a guy who used motorhome depot. They are like an estate agent, they work on a commission. They arrange all the viewings etc and deal with buyers for you. The motorhome can stay with you, you just show peaple around. like any seller they will move on price if haggling. After doing the deal with mine they kept me informed etc and even gave me a lift to get the van as one of there guys lived not to far away from me. They said they liked to be at the handover. I don't think their scammers just a buisness making money like all businesses. At the end of the day no one makes you use them, it's your choice. :thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
When we were looking to buy our current van there were a few that were for sale through motorhome depot.

The only problem was that the owners never seemed available to view or they had decided not to sell.

Is there not something relating to signing a contract where you have x number of days to change your mind? or is that just with credit cards etc?

Speak to your local trading standards officer they may be able to help.

I hate companies that do not tell you all the important bits when they sell stuff over the phone.

Good luck xxxx

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You need to Hone your negotiating skills :Smile: When I put my van up yrs ago with a local M/H seller I told him I had it advertised elsewhere and if I brought a buyer I took it off his forecourt :thumb: I would give him £100 for a drink end of -- He could sell for whatever he wanted after giving me my price that I wanted -- He stuck it up at 6k more than I wanted claiming he had overheads VAT etc etc - told him he was talking nonsense but so long as I got my money I did not care :Smile: Needless to say I sold the van :winky:
terry

OP
OP
S

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
Exp
im a newbie
I bought my Burstner from a guy who used motorhome depot. They are like an estate agent, they work on a commission. They arrange all the viewings etc and deal with buyers for you. The motorhome can stay with you, you just show peaple around. like any seller they will move on price if haggling. After doing the deal with mine they kept me informed etc and even gave me a lift to get the van as one of there guys lived not to far away from me. They said they liked to be at the handover. I don't think their scammers just a buisness making money like all businesses. At the end of the day no one makes you use them, it's your choice. :thumb:
thanks for that information steve

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Just been on the Motorhome Depot website and if you scroll down to the bottom it states that "MotorhomeDepot.com is a franchise and each brokerage is owned and operated by a franchisee".

I met one of the franchisees whilst helping my cousin look for a MH.
My cousin had seen the advert on line and had made an enquiry.
We travelled to the sellers home and were met by the seller and the franchisee at the appointed time. After inspecting the MH we were both offered test drives, which we accepted, and were left to confer with no pressure on us, afterwards.
As it was the sale did not go ahead, due to the fact that my cousin found another MH that he liked better.
The whole thing was conducted very professionally and at no time did we feel that we were being conned into anything. The business that he runs is a brokerage for caravans, MHs and boats. There is also an online store selling all kinds of things.

The seller that we went to see looked as though he couldn't have coped with selling to the general public, or anyone else for that matter, on his own. So it made sense that he would use a broker to take the pressure off him and deal with adverts, callers, paperwork etc.
To call them scammers and con men without recourse to first hand evidence is a little bit over the top, in my own opinion, but each to their own.

I have no connection to any brokerage, franchise or other business connected to the buying and selling of motorhomes, or to anyone who carries out these businesses.

If you want to check him out I can post his web sites, but I would like Jim to OK it first. The broker gave me his business cards and I am sure he would be happy for me to post his web addresses on here.

earle fitzpatrick

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Funster No
yes I know about them they've been selling my motorhome now for nearly 3 weeks I signed a contract with them for 3 months. there asking 2k more tha what I wanted for it. if I went ahead and sold it myself it would have gone long since we just want a smaller van 2 berth. if I pulled out now they would bill me for£2k. when my son found out he went berserk.so I will just wait now till the three months are up steve

i have read with interest all the negative reviews regarding motor depot i have had dealings with them and being in the motortrade find it absurd people complain about earning a commision motorhome sales are very difficult prospective buyers, They have high expectations but always finish with very low unrealistic offers on motorhomes at £20 to £40k the commisions they charge are reasonable and having to deal with a high volume of people with unrealistic expectations, i would say they earn their commision genuine buyers pay genuine prices most private sellers ask for too much anyway and you always run the risk of dealing with rogue traders or or dishonest sellers motorhome depot elimate a lot of these risks elf 7 leisure

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I still don't get why you would let someone make a profit on something they don't own.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Like estate agents?
Especially estate agents... its parasitic. Anything that has a bill that is a percentage of the price is just that IMO.. a house sale is a house sale, irrespective of the selling price.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Had 3 different dealings with motorhome depot all different franchisees

They were a nightmare didn't answer phone, confirmed arrangements to view then cancelled when I was on route, one waited till I'd got to the van and then told me he had taken a deposit on it despite me travelling 200 miles, wouldn't let me speak to the owner despite the franchisee knowing sod all about the van.

The van I eventually bought the owner had it up with motorhome depot from February to may with only 3 viewers at 13k more than I finally paid for it, the owners themselves advertised the van for 7k less themselves on the "outandaboutlive" website which is where I saw it and I was the 2nd person to view I haggled 5.5k off the price thankfully

Motorhome depot do seem to sell a lot of vans but that was at prime buying time and they failed on all accounts, gate to imagine what they are like out of season

earle fitzpatrick

Free Member
Sep 6, 2017
Funster No
Very suspicious indeed.

A three and a half year old thread brought back to life by a first time poster supporting a "dealer"...

Yeah right ...

If Mr Fitzpatrick replies to this I will be surprised.

JJ :cool:[/QUO TE] as a first time poster as you pointed out i wasn,t aware i had responded to an old link it just shows nothing has changed in that time Ifyou want something you have to pay for it in this case a motorhome, ask any dealer the yearly running cost of a business and get him to provide a service for nothing yeh !!! la la land having worked for nearly 40 years dealing with the general public it would be nice to work for nothing (£100 and a cup of tea) feed your family with nothing and pay all your liabilities income tax vat, business rates, staff, insurances, and very recently lot,s of new business stealth taxes and pay them with nothing, the liist goes on. I did not post my views to upset any one just thought people might keep an open mind , Oh it can get worse once you have a new motorhome those ruthless caravan park sites might upset you when they ask for £20 for the night to park on the grass and use there facilities Oh perish the thought!!!!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Fair play for replying Mr Fitzpatrick...

You did surprise me. (y)

Caravan parks/sites/dealer never bother me... I don't use them.

JJ :cool:

Ill lay odds he doesn't cough the £15 though :D

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Of all the threads in a the forums..... Seems a weird one to pick for a first post I have to say

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I used a similar outfit to Motorhome Depot with a different name. I already had it up for sale so they accepted that I could sell it where I was advertising and they would try to sell it elsewhere. They didn't bother to come and take photos as mine were good enough and they didn't come to inspect the van. I signed a contract which I have to say I could not have read properly!

Never heard anything again and had to deal with loads of scammers from Ebay and Autorader where I had it advertised. So much hassle and no takers that I eventally withdrew it from sale and as I had never heard from the agent I never told him that it was withdrawn from sale as we were going on holiday etc.

Next thing he's on the phone and says he has a keen buyer after lots of time wasters. I say its too late and its no longer for sale. He asked me to confirm in writing which I did and then I get a bill for the "profit" he has lost on the sale but says he's prepared to negotiate as he's incurred costs.

My initial reaction is "See you in court mate" as I have not found any adverts by him other than their own website and Gumtree with my pics.

I think about it and read his contract again and decide no point getting angry with him as whilst I have a case I should have read his contract and understood it better. I should have told him it was withdrawn from sale. He should have kept me informed. We had a chat on the phone and I said that there was no way he was going to get the full "profit" he has lost but happy to repay some costs if he has incurred any. He said make me an offer and I paid him what an Autotrader advert had cost me for a few months which was about £100 to settle the matter.

Needless to say felt a bit stung and won't use him again but its horses for courses - just read carefully what you are signing and if you withdraw it from sale make sure you notify them and if there's are minimum period then let that expire first!

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I got in touch with one of this outfits agents. I asked to see the van which they wouldn't let me, instead sent me a link to about 100 photos and a video.
Fair enough, I looked at these then sent another email asking to see it in the flesh. Have you seen the photos and video they asked ? yes, well why do you want to come and see it then ? make your offer if you want the van.

I was flabbergasted, we didn't go any further.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I got in touch with one of this outfits agents. I asked to see the van which they wouldn't let me, instead sent me a link to about 100 photos and a video.
Fair enough, I looked at these then sent another email asking to see it in the flesh. Have you seen the photos and video they asked ? yes, well why do you want to come and see it then ? make your offer if you want the van.

I was flabbergasted, we didn't go any further.
Yep I got that same crap..... I then asked if I could speak with the owner on the phone as I was 300 miles away, the agent said he could answer any questions I had.
First question was does it have the alko chassis or an extended steel chassis

His reply...... Emm.... I'll need to get back to you on that one.

Most have no idea what they are selling

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back