Motorhome depot

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Steve devon, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Steve devon

Steve devon Funster

Good morning , has anyone had any dealings with Motorhome depot? I keep looking at motor homes they have for sale,and I take it they are brokers,they say they will do part exchange. Anybody got any thoughts on them ?

2. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

3. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

Plenty of threads on here if you do a search. We bought a van from them and wouldnt use them again but not used them for selling.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PhilG

PhilG Funster

Taking money out of something they have nothing invested in. Do it yourself. Don't buy something off someone that doesn't own it.

5. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

As said use the search box...
    Seen several posts with same topic..
    View seems divided.. It always puts me off when I see a van for sale and their name, dont they take a deposit or something before they let you go see a van ???

6. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

Never asked for a deposit from us - but unfortunately I decided to settle the outstanding debt on the Van with Black Horse directly rather than pay Motorhome Depot and trust them to pay Black Horse. This meant it would have been nigh on impossible to reject it. When the van was handed over the Guy said by the way I noticed the Speedo isnt working on the way back from the MOT but it'll only be the sender unit. I had to replace the Cluster for £800 which added to other costs eg New Fridge/Leisure Battery/Air Suspension to get some payload made the Van have a nickname of The Money Pit. I know others have had good experience both Buying and Selling but I would be very wary if I were to do it again. Needless to say the replacement van was from a dealer.

7. Debs

Debs Funster

8. PhilG

PhilG Funster

How long hasn't it been working for.. my reply to that would have been, ' well if that is all it is, it wont take you long to sort' .

9. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

You are right - I was too nice then and Mrs Colpot had fallen in love with the van in spite of my negativity over the weight and we had to have it as we sold our previous van and needed a replacement for a family get together booked for the following weekend. With hindsight we wouldnt have bought it but my hindsight has always been lacking. Having said that about Motorhome Depot they seem to be different depending on where you live. The Guy we were dealing with was in Kent.

10. PhilG

PhilG Funster

My understanding is that they are a franchise operation, so you are dealing with an individual rather that a company, so you are buying off a used car dealer , who doesn't own the cars . They do have dealer premises , I believe, but most 'agents' don't.

And yes, its always easy in hindsight, mine is 20/20 lol

And try not to be too negative over Mrs Colpot's weight ..

11. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

unless they lied to you regarding payload i cant see how you can blame motorhome depot for that
    As far as i can work out they are just agents working freelance covering an area so it will be pot luck how good your agent is so basically your dealing with a used car salesman who hasn't got a proper job

12. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

Technically he didnt lie about the weight - he just pointed to the wrong page where the Model had a higher one and we didnt look for the weight plate on the Van itself - and we were in a rush and we learnt our lesson. If I had trusted them in the first place I would have been in a better position to pull out of the deal b ut once Black Horse had been paid I guessed it would be difficult to get the money back off them, and hey I am not blaming them, just saying IF I were to look to buy off them in future I would be more wary and check everything over.

13. PhilG

PhilG Funster

These are precisely the reasons you steer clear... if I buy something from the guy who has owned it for 5 years , I expect him to know what he is selling, when stuff was done etc .

If I ask a question , and the guy doesn't know , what then.

Its a fine line between lying and being economical with the truth .

14. Steve devon

Steve devon Funster

Thanks for the replies, I'm looking at a Dethleff 7870, there are only two nearly new ones in the country and they've got both of them , not made the initial contact yet, I'm a bit wary of them

15. PhilG

PhilG Funster

Keep looking.. one will come up

16. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I am always amazed at the question what are so n so like??
    Are you buying into this company or buying from them
    Will the 7870 suddenly turn into a better van if sold by some one else
    I'm being a little unfair here because I'm in the motor trade and buy on a regular basis
    And belive me if the vans right and the deal was right I would buy it from scrooge
    If the vans cap I wouldn't buy it from Mother Tereasa.
    Any warranty your maybe relying on proverb won't be worth the paper it's printed on anyway
    Negotiate a price that will cover the odd problem
    Take your own expert to view or arrange an expert inspection and buy a good van you wanto
    Geo Confusoius Say
    A good van sold by a crook is still good van
    A bad van sold by a Saint is still bad van

• Like Like x 8
  17. Steve devon

Steve devon Funster

Fair point, but I bought a Motorhome that had a lot of problems,but everyone was sorted by the dealer,so in my eyes they are a good dealer, people come on here and say they have had problems,and the dealer has been useless, so guess what, I class them as a bad dealer.so I stand by my question of what are so n so like and I am sure I will ask it again

• Like Like x 1
  18. chaser

chaser Funster

Motorhome depot, is no worse than buying private, probably slightly better, but as geo says, if the van and the price is right, makes no odds who

• Like Like x 1
  19. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

Couldn't agree more!

Craig

20. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

I have bought vehicles from all sorts of places. If you know what to look for, a good buy can be got from anywhere.

Craig