Motorhome Delivery (transfer) across Europe? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
A bit different from the 'rescue' thread has anyone ever had the need to have their MH transferred across Europe simply for reasons of expedition/convenience?

I have often wondered if there is a requirement for people to have their vans 'delivered' to the destination of the owners choice so that the owner can (say) fly there in one day, thereby saving time and stress especially if only a couple of weeks available but wishing to go quite a way away.

This happens in the sailing world when people don't have enough time or crew (or inclination) to sail their boat from one place to another (they simply want to sail at the destination). The delivery crew sail the boat for a fixed fee and basic costs.

What to you think?

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I understand they do a funny thing in New Zealand re the one way hire vans. If the company have too many vans in an area of New Zealand they look for people to deliver them to a destination pick up City. The 'driver' only pays for the fuel and is given a period of time to get the van to the location. In that way the driver gets a small holiday for the price of fuel. The problem is as I understand it is very last minute in so far as the company will just call several standby drivers and off they go

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There was a MH company which was offering cheap(ish) holidays for anyone who wanted to pick up the MH from where it was made (Italy I think) and then they had a couple of weeks or so to drive it back to the UK.

I guess you could advertise (here?) for someone to drive your MH to where you want it giving them a reasonable time to get there and then pay for them to fly back. You would need to arrange to meet at the airport and do the handover but probably best to leave a day or so in hand to allow for delays or problems with damage. This would mean putting them up in a local hotel.

Apart from the obvious things like damage, getting it dirty, need to wash the bedding etc I suspect insurance and breakdown cover would need a bit of sorting out but it could be done if you trusted the people to look after your vehicle.

You would also need to decide whether you are going to charge them a nominal sum or try and make some money out of it charging typical rates for weekly hire. Insurance likely to be much more expensive if it is done for reward. Just lending it to them and getting them to pay all expenses like fuel and campsites might be easier. They could then be simply named drivers added to your current policy.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
In the boat world the fee tends to be 'per mile' so within reason the crew can decide how quickly (weather permitting) they take. Safety is of course the overriding element.

I'm thinking for example a trip across Europe could be at cost plus an agreed rate per mile driven. The drivers (me and my missus) would then choose a practical route that can be achieved in minimal time. The journey time could be reasonably extended in the interests of both parties (say be me paying for stopover/food fees etc beyond the 'minimal time) but at no more cost to the owner.

This idea comes out of the notion that I love driving/travelling and think that sometimes this could be put to practical use. I would get paid a modest fee to travel another journey whilst looking after the owners van as if it were my own :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
one problem is you will need commercial insurance. as in you are driving for a financial etc gain. most motorhome insurance specifically excludes business use, which this will be. upgrading a policy wont be cheap

hire companies and dealers pay collection/delivery drivers, but the vans are on a traders policy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ah! I see you are looking to drive someone else's MH - I though you were offering your own! I doubt anyone would actually pay you to drive their MH. Yachts are very different I think, owners want to cruise in the Med but don't want to sail the craft there from the UK, either because of lack of time or lack of sailing skills.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Also, not able to confirm quickly, but if in excess of 3.5t there may the requirement for a tachograph if using for business?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back