Motorhome Dealers, do they really want my business? (1 Viewer)

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
We are just in the process of hopefully buying our first M/H after caravanning for 16 years. We have narrowed down the model we we want only problem is there are only 2 dealers in the UK. So trying to get them to give us a price by email of a van with some extras we want added/fitted is seemingly impossible.

I have to keep chasing them and they do not seem to want to email anything at all. I do not have the time to keep visiting as they are both 3 hours drive away and am busy in the day so sitting on a phone all day is not possible.

Anyone else has this problem, we need the base price so we can start serious negotiations and want get an order in as build is not till next year.

Are all dealers like this, only want to give you a price in person?

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I used to import my Mitsubishi from Cyprus at near half the price...

The garage I used to work for before retirement imported Nissan Navarra pickups from Cyprus, came into Felixstowe, we did a roaring trade in them here in rural Norfolk, I still see them on the road today.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
There are two Lowdhams and Southdown, both of which seem to have good reputations who are Knaus agents. You could also contact CamperUK in Lincoln or Premier Motors or St Johns Cross who all have very good reputations, to ask if they are able to supply a Knaus, there is no harm in trying.
In your position I might also have a word with Knaus to see what they advise.
It is generally thought best to visit dealers to look over their vans and discuss any special wishes you may have, before the simple matter of their giving a quote. At the very least a phone call for them to know you are not just a time waster, there are plenty of them about.

Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Some are strange, a few years back we went to paignton to look, Asked if we could have a couple of MH unlocked to have a look around, But I felt because we had turned up in a older small car they had little interest in us, so we had a look. We went away & bought else where. My advice to some dealers never make an assumption about customers!!
When we moved back to the North East from the smoke we had handed back our company cars and bought a "disposable" car whilst we got the house purchase sorted. Went to a show-house on a new estate and parked outside.

The person behind the desk asked how she could help, we said we would like to look around the show-houses, "they're not cheap" she says, looking past us at the car we had arrived in.

"They're within our budget, we are just in the process of relocating from London - hence the run-about-car" says I.

"have you sold a property" she asks getting interested.

"Yes in Regents Park" says I.

Out came the coffee and biscuits and fawning attitude, nothing was too much for us.

Strangely I forgot to mention that the property I had sold was a narrowboat moored on the canal!

I took great delight after visiting the largest and most expensive "executive" house that we thought it was "a little too small".

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
When we moved back to the North East from the smoke we had handed back our company cars and bought a "disposable" car whilst we got the house purchase sorted. Went to a show-house on a new estate and parked outside.

The person behind the desk asked how she could help, we said we would like to look around the show-houses, "they're not cheap" she says, looking past us at the car we had arrived in.

"They're within our budget, we are just in the process of relocating from London - hence the run-about-car" says I.

Out came the coffee and biscuits and fawning attitude, nothing was too much for us.

Strangely I forgot to mention that the property I had sold was a narrowboat moored on the canal!

I took great delight after visiting the largest and most expensive "executive" house that we thought it was "a little too small".

We went around a few show homes near us and had the snooty sales person look us up and down and declare that her houses were also expensive. We informed her that we could afford them and walked in past her. We returned after 20 mins telling her that they were not built to a good enough standard for us. Snooty person laughed and asked if we were joking. I told her no and proceeded to show her the leaking cold water supply to the kitchen sink, the weeping rising main, the kitchen cupboard doors that would not open properly. I then suggested that she looked at the living room and show me where a sofa could be positioned so that it would face the TV and show me where a wardrobe would fit into the main bedroom because I couldn't work where they would fit. I told her that if the show home was the best they could do, it wasn't good enough.

Coincidently, I told my neighbour the story and he went pale, replying that he had just bought the I mentioned. The snag list took months to deal with.

Upvote 0

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp

Ha Ha, like I said in a previous post, The north east is terrible for judging folks on what they drive or the way they look ,hence that's why we bought out of the area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Ha Ha, like I said in a previous post, The north east is terrible for judging folks on what they drive or the way they look ,hence that's why we bought out of the area.
Hate to tell you but Richmond is in the North East. Now if you had wanted to buy out off the area that would necessitate a move to Lancashire - heaven forbid!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back