PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Just had a newly converted friend of mine pick up his new to him motorhome.

Pre-deal details included a complete internal valet to clear up the stained carpets and seat. Replace the broken slats on the rear U shaped lounge beds, fix the exterior seals on the rear lockers, replace the missing table and prep the vehicle for handover.

Time allowed to complete the tasks - 3 weeks.

Purchase price an eye watering £39K for a 2009 AT Scout with 36000 on the clock.

Collected the van yesterday, only to find the slats still broken, the carpets and stains not cleaned, no valet, no seals replaced either. The replacement table supplied is too large for the recess allocated to store it. There answer was to amend a retainer to hold it in place, resulting in an internal door not closing as it now catches the modification (bodge) job a technician has done. Plus the agent tells him that they discovered the cables running from the solar panels have been cut, not cut and repaired, just cut, meaning no charge to the batteries.

Returns home with promises from the dealer that they'll sort one or two of the faults out. They had 3 weeks to sort them in the first place.

Looks in the fridge to show his wife and all the shelves are on the floor of the fridge. All retaining clips missing, so someone had just rested them to look like they were in place, but they don't hold any weight, so shelves can't be used. Also the driver side electric adjustment on the mirrors doesn't work.

He's completely miffed and totally disappointed at the standard a dealer would give out a vehicle costing just short of £40K. Can we blame him.

How do they get away with it, I just don't know, but it seems so many of them just think it's almost license to print money.

Not saying they're all like it, but they live among us, are based in Reading and rhymes with Beds.

I've given my advice, but it's down to the dealer and their good will.

Why don't all the honest, trustworthy dealers go around and give all these idiots a good kicking, as it tars them all and that's unfair on the good ones.

I'll be looking to go private sale again in the future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Sounds terrible.

But why did he part with any money before checking the vehicle over?
Why shouldn't he. He's brought vehicles before (cars) as like he told me, I'm handing over nearly £40k, why wouldn't these simple jobs be completed, they're a main dealer after all, with further sites across the South.

Paid his deposit, at the time of the deal, then transferred the funds to release the vehicle as a dealer would expect.

What you don't expect as a complete novice is to be messed about by a main dealership who holds £1000's in stock vehicles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Name and Shame.
I have limited dealings with dealers (just two).. the first 'Wellsbridge' wouldn't let me test drive the vehicle I wanted.. the second, 'Becks'.. were very good, everything on the vehicle worked and it was immaculate on collection, even the oven had been scrubbed clean..

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Why shouldn't he. He's brought vehicles before (cars) as like he told me, I'm handing over nearly £40k, why wouldn't these simple jobs be completed, they're a main dealer after all, with further sites across the South.

Paid his deposit, at the time of the deal, then transferred the funds to release the vehicle as a dealer would expect.

What you don't expect as a complete novice is to be messed about by a main dealership who holds £1000's in stock vehicles.

"Why shouldn't he?"

Sorry, but I think you've answered your own question.

Self-evidently he should have checked because if he'd checked he would have known the work hadn't been done.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Google "Motorhome dealer Reading" and all will be revealed.
Yes, that's what I did, and couldn't see anyone rhyming with "beds". There's one which rhymes with "plebs", though.

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Maybe he should have took a mate with him that knows a bit more about motorhomes and could have
guided him and possibly influenced the outcome?.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Last weekend we bought a new to us car from a dealer in South Wales
According to their website all vehicles are fully checked over and serviced before being released.
We are only 20 miles from them but not long before we got home we had two code faults come up and service due flash up a mile from home the vehicle went into limp mode. Max opened the bonnet to check the oil and water and found oil in the coolant expansion tank. Dipping the oil tank he found the oil was thick and black definitely not new oil and the oil filter and air filter hadn't been changed
We rang them straightaway but as it was bank holiday weekend they said they couldn't do anything until Tuesday. We were promised a phone call by 9am Tuesday morning from their after sales manager.
No call by 10am so I rang him ..he apologised saying he had not received the message from sales and that he was trying to,sort out a loan vehicle ...Tuesday afternoon a transporter arrived with a vehicle on for us and to take back our car for repair.
The car they have left us is from their part exchange stock and leaves a lot to be desired.
Heard nothing by this morning so rang dealer who said they had only been just been able to get the car into,the workshop as the ramp had failed on the transporter. The girl said I'll ring you when we know anything.
Just had a call to say the oil cooler in the radiator has failed( it's an automatic) BUT they have had to,order the parts from the main agent and they won't be here until the middle of next week.
This on a fairly new car that was supposed to have an 82 point check before being released.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Fella across the road recently purchased a brand new SEAT, hadn't had it a week and it was on the back of a towtruck going back to the Dealer:LOL:
The same dealer we were going to see a Citroen C3 :eek:

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
"Why shouldn't he?"

Sorry, but I think you've answered your own question.

Self-evidently he should have checked because if he'd checked he would have known the work hadn't been done.

You are reporting why he shouldn't. You trust a dealer as far as you can throw him.

Maybe he should have took a mate with him that knows a bit more about motorhomes and could have
guided him and possibly influenced the outcome?.
We honestly only know all these things by being experts in the world of motorhomes and that's because we've picked it all up over the years.

We were all novices once and as I mentioned earlier, the poor chap naively believed that handing over £10's of £1000's of his hard earned quids to a large dealership would mean he would receive excellent customer service. How wrong was he!!!

We all know better and so does he know and its alright saying take someone with you, however if you had spent near £40K on a car from a reputable dealer, would you take a mate along to check it out, or believe in the dealership - that's what my poor colleague did.

He did check, it wasn't done, it's being promised to be done, but his site fee paid on a weekend by the coast with EHU for his first outing, meeting family etc meant he took it. Not sure what I'd have done, would you? Plus a smiling salesman promising the world can be quite persuasive to a novice.

Still, he's learnt the hard way, same as many novice Funsters starting out on the trail of motorhoming.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back