Motorhome crime stats for France

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by bhbh, Sep 27, 2012.

1. bhbh

bhbh Read Only Funster

Hi
    Anyone got a link(s) to official crime statistics for France in relation to motorhomes/campsites/aires please?

THanks

2. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Errrr.... Nope !

Have you one for UK ?:Eeek::Eeek:

Amicalement

Frankie

• Like Like x 10
  3. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Yep.
    Price of beer is criminal.

Yep.
    Price of beer is criminal.

• Like Like x 6
  4. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I can give you my stats..
    12 years.. France 0
    Spain 1 break in at a carrefour car park..

Is the question because you have been reading the wrong threads and getting anxious ??

Even if these did exist they would never be acurate as i guess some people would not bother to report it and just want to move on..

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  5. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

Methinks you are worrying about nothing.

Craig

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Motorhome Crime.

We have a Report A Crime facility on FUN, the reports are plotted on a Google Map.

Started in Jan 2009, almost four years ago .. and in that time had only FOUR reports of incidents in France..
    I'm not suggesting that it is the full picture, but it does show that they are few and far between.... :Smile:

7. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

Having too much time on my hands before the quiz at 8.00, I tried researching the position for England. For 2010/11 I can offer you 100700 thefts OF a motor vehicle and 297323 thefts FROM a motor vehicle. This is from data.gov.uk at http://data.gov.uk/dataset/theft_of_a_motor_vehicle/resource/ba7916a4-02aa-44d8-8ebb-9d32ac7326fd

Searching that site for 'motorhome' or motorcaravan' produced zero results and so I assume the bizzies are not required to record that info.

I suspect your chances of getting an accurate, as opposed to hypothesised, answer to your query must be next to zer0.

So, now that I've tried to answer what was your first post on MHF, can you let us know why you're askin?

8. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Been going to Europe for 20 years with caravan & motorhome - had 1 attempted break in in Spain but it always occurs to me that tents don't have locks!!

9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

11. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Nothing to worry about I used to live there for 10 years, hardly ever locked my car.:Smile:

Just get yourself over there and relax....:Cool:

You will soon forget about why you asked your question.......:thumb:

12. JJ

JJ Funster

I agree with many Funsters above. Have motorhomed in France for over thirty years and never had anything approaching trouble/theft/crime.

Mind you I only had a couple of thefts in Blighty (broken into in Blackpool and a "mate" robbed my van in Bath.)

I was in trouble with a French woman several times but it was nothing that a bit of FB pie and a cuddle couldn't fix. :Wink: :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

You'll love France. Try it and enjoy.

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 3
  13. bhbh

bhbh Read Only Funster

MOtorhome crime stats

Thanks for comments. Certainly encouraging but the web is overflowing with opposing opinions. I would like to know the french facts - if they can be found!
    Cheers

14. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

what was it they say about statistics? oh yes 86.988765454% are made up on the spot, the rest are just lies.

If travelling in France was so dangerous and left you at such risk of theft, why are all the cross channel ferries and the train so heavily booked. many thousands visit yearly, and from them a tiny minority have an issue. Mind you its as likely your going to be robbed or your van stolen outside your home

I recall reading a report in a magazine some time back with data compiled by major insurers, which showed your highest point of risk is in the hours before departure on holiday. All your treasured belongings are in the van and your back and to putting in last minute items, maybe even forgetting to lock the van.

You could worry about being robbed, but wheres the "FUN" in that?

15. buttons

buttons Funster

There could be far mare than are reported as many are under the influence of gas while being robbed. They dont remember a thing.:Eeek:

16. callumwa

It would be interesting to see where and whom on the web is giving the opposing opinions you are concerned about.

You have here the opinions of many people who are "doing it" all the time, and have first hand experience of many many long trips to France. :thumb:

Not the tales of some wannabe reporters, or numpties who heard a story from a man whose sister's cousin had a dog, who knew a cat, who had his Whiskas nicked on a Motorway Aire in France.......:Doh:

17. callumwa

OH NO..... DON'T MENTION THE GAS!..........:cry::cry::cry:

:Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  18. mick noe

mick noe Funster

We go to France twice a year and have done for years ......touring on motorcycle and with the motorhome never had a spot of bother.
    Look how many members of this forum there are, and the amount of us that go to France, if crime where a problem you would definitely hear it here first.Relax and:thumb: enjoy

19. sedge

sedge Funster

Been going to and through France and other bits of Europe and elsewhere since 1969.

Flying, driving, motorbiking - staying in hotels, villas, apartments, tents, gites, motorhome.

Thefts suffered :

Mainland Spain 1 (from a villa but people we were with had left roller shutter on balcony window open :Doh:) Mallorca Nil Ibiza Nil Menorca Nil Greece (various) Nil Begium Nil Holland Nil Luxembourg Nil France Nil Goa Nil Kerala Nil Maldives Nil Dom Repub Nil USA Nil Australia Nil

In 40 degrees and wondering how the hell we were gonna sleep I've lay in bed half hoping to be gassed so I could at least sleep! and then laid awake even longer worrying that I may have tempted providence ..... :Eeek:

20. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i can say have had bikes (push bikes )tampered with in france once had the straps on a bike rack cut but a chain on the rack to the bumper stopped them going .
    in spain broken into once .at el saler.
    broken into twice in morroco .almost on the same place at taghazoute .
    never so far had any trouble in uk . or the rest of europe . have travelled a few east european countries and found them safer i think than france by far .
    never had any other trouble in african countries and have been to several in a vehicle .