Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
Hi Guys. With the weather being a bit naff today my thoughts turned to the winter months. For the last couple of years I have contemplated buying a cover for the van. They seem to have a massive range in price from about £80 up to a made to measure Pro-Tec one for about £500. I have also seen the roof top cover, which leaves the sides free.
My question is, does anyone use one of these products and are they of any benefit? Also, are they likely to increase the risk of damp/mildew.
I tend to use the van up to November and start again round about end of February and have heard these covers can be a pain to get on and off.
Whats the word guys?:rain:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Dont use one personally however if you are storing your motorhome where its easily accessed by a member of the public I would suggest a cheaper alternative is a sheet of tarpaulin that way if it gets stolen its far cheaper to replace.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I dont use one for the very reasons that you have stated. My van hasn't been affected by the weather and I woudnt expect it to be. Its designed to withstand all extremes.

I did ask this very question a couple of winters ago and the response was overwhelming, dont use one.

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I did cover mine last year when I wouldn't be using it for a month or so - as much to keep the bird shit off as anything else. Worked well.

The only problem we did have was when the weather was really cold and the cover stuck to the van. It only happened once and it might be that the van was damp when I put the cover on.

Personal choice of course but i would recommend one.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I personally would never use one for reasons stated in your post.

In all the years that I have used motorhomes and caravans have never felt the need for one. If you can keep an eye on the van through periods of non use both inside and out, you should be OK.

During periods of non use I always open the windows and roof whenever the opportunity presents itself, and open lockers and internal doors to allow plenty of air through the van.

Also if packing up and know I won't be using I take upholstery indoors.

Feel this is the better approach, covered up would think I would tend to forget this routine,(out of sight out of mind.)

Best method is keep using the van through winter months, even if only for day trips.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back