Motorhome covers (1 Viewer)

Jan 21, 2013
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 630EW
Exp
I"m a newbie
We are considering the purchase of a Kampa cover for our Bolero.I have read conflicting reviews on sellers sites,so ask for your unbiased opinions For or Against? Look forward to your replies.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Not tried Kampa but tried various other makes on caravans over many years & now on our motorhome. Best we have found is the breatheable 4 ply cover by Maypole http://www.maypole.ltd.uk/Motorhome-Covers_56719 & wouldn't be without one now. It is important for it to fit well so no chance of movement or rubbing which the Maypole one does well with an elasticated bottom & tensioned straps. The 4 ply breatheabilty means no layer of green slime after storage (had this with a Tyvek waterproof cover :() & can be put on a wet just washed motorhome (y) It's a good idea to always put it on a clean motorhome so no risk of dust or grit to cause scratches. After being under the Maypole cover last winter we didn't even have to wash our motorhome off before our first rally in the spring. They are a bit ungainly to handle & need two of you to lift onto the roof (use brushes or washing line props) then just pull it along which is easy then zip & strap up. Have found the best prices for these are on eBay.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I would give some thought to ventilation, otherwise you may get mould problems.

We store ours through the coldest part of the winter ( if we re not using it) and can generally get 3 months storage inside, cassoa approved for about £100.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
We bought a Maypole cover for our van and agree with " The Wombels" comments.
We always make sure the van is clean before covering it up.

The only thing we would change is we should of bought it sooner, it is something we talked about for the first 5 years of owning the van but at last no black streaks while it is stored on the drive.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Never had any damp problems using breatheable cover & slows down the ageing of the shell of the motorhome too especially the plastic bits:) Ours is two years old & keep getting asked if it is new:) Another good idea is for any wheels in direct sunlight to use these covers too to protect your tyres see http://www.maypole.ltd.uk/MP93680-MOTORHOME-WHEEL-COVER_88655-15833 - make sure you choose the motorhome version as the caravan ones are probably too small for most motorhome wheels. However if we could be out & about using it more often that would be even better than it being covered on the drive. A garage big enough to drive the motorhome into would be ideal so ready to go whenever the mood takes us - well we can dream...

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
$_57.JPG
This is how ours will be now until the spring

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We looked at 2 vans that had been kept covered. Both had mould and smelled awful and both had paint damage from the cover moving in windy conditions.

Personally not something we'd ever consider but we use our van all year and I can just imagine the caddie trying to put it on.
Having said that you probably get what you pay for and I'm sure the ones folks on here recommend are better than what we saw.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Coming from a car background I have never yet heard positive comments about either covering vehicles or the covers themselves.

They can scratch no matter how soft the insides seem. Permeability is always questionable.

I wish I could convince myself otherwise as I like the idea.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I bought a cover from another Funster (he was changing his van and the cover wouldn't fit the new one). It's been great!

There's for's and against's; keeps the van clean and protects from weather - particularly frost, ageing etc. Great when you uncover in spring and the MH is pristine! One 'against' is that you can't just mount up an go somewhere on a winter weekend if the weather is half decent, without the hassle of uncovering and covering again.

I normally roll the front part back on mine on occasions during winter when the currant-bun is out and give the van an airing.

They are a bit of a handful to put on, especially if doing it with a woman. My wife hasn't the height, strength (or nouse), so we struggle a bit initially. We use two extendable decorator's poles with tennis balls on top to push the cover up, over and on.

One of the main drawbacks is that it covers the solar panel. I keep meaning to source a place that could sew in a transparent 'window'.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread