Motorhome costs (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
It doesn't bear thinking about! Costs. Everything adds up, and becomes scary over the year.
If you get immense pleasure from something, the cost is worth it.
If you don't get any pleasure from it, it's a burden.
Mortgages, for instance, can be crippling, and for years, going without, trying to keep up with the bills. But, we managed, and now mortgage free, it was worth it. But, if you were to calculate what went in interest to the fat cats, you would be heartbroken.
Enjoy life, enjoy what you like, and be thankful you can do it. Some people cannot.

Craig

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not arguing with any of that or what other posters have put, and I think the same , all I was saying was , you just say this is only so much and that is only so much but when you get to reckon it all up[HI] it's far from " only "[/HI] even think about , fun , ccc, France passion, Britstops, all the aires, subs , another £150 a year :Doh:

"Only" is a word I reserve for swmbo .. :thumb:

in my mind it is "ouch" :roflmto:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Half board hotel in the Alps during February half term- £4500.

Van- £120 for parking, food from Tesco £80.

That offsets running costs just a little!::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Ridgeway, Could you explain this please? Sorry, if it a silly question.

I have to have a car as well as a motorhome and this sounds like it would help me out no end.

quote fro
Rid
Another contributor for us is that we don't pay any more for tax or insurance as we use the same number plates from my car so this is a total of £25 admin p/year
m Ridgeway:

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We are picking up our very first motorhome in May. We spent months working out motohome holidays vs our current holidays abroad and our caravan. We are off to Florida this year at a cost of £6.5k ! Now this is considered cheap for Florida these days in school holidays. Our other holidays are trips in the caravan and a cruise once a year (if not going to Florida) We love all our current holidays, but every year it is getting so expensive and nothing to show for it at the end. We want to go to europe and do not feel comfortable towing. So we picked a motorhome to replace our caravan as we love the camping life. This means that we will forgo cruises and Florida as we cannot have all of them. We are very happy to be going on this new adventure. When kids have left home we could hopefuly include other holidays as well when not tied to school breaks. I have to be honest we have only so far considered the initial outlay and not the running costs, as i think we could talk ourselves out of having it. :Eeek: Holiday prices in generl are very scary. Even two weeks by a pool in an average hotel would set you back a few thousand in peak summer. As long as we can afford it we will carry on ::bigsmile:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
It is an eye-opener if we sit down and analyse the costs, 'tis true it costs.
I used to smoke around 15 cigs. a day, about £5 these days.
That would be £1825pa. I'm retired now, 50 years in a harness and paying taxes. Raising a family, paying a mortgage. Kids gone now , no mortgage, moving to smaller and cash on the hip.
MY CASH !
I used to have 1 week's holiday, then 2, then 1 + 2 weeks, mainly caravanning.
Last year 4 weeks in France, this year may be 8 weeks. None of us know when the grim reaper will strike.
We made new friends of French, Belgium, English and even Germans :Eeek: last year. We intend to meet up again this year. I was 100 yds from the beach @ €5 per night. Walk dog, fetch baguette (and cake) go for a surf, have breakfast, go on beach, admire the ladies !! more surf, have BBQ, wander town, get together, go to bed knackered but save enough energy to ravish wife !:whatthe:
Pleasure can be cheap or even free.
My 4 weeks cost half my ciggie saving. The rest will pay for annual running costs.
It's all about how we spend OUR money. My friends prefer to have a new kitchen or landscaped gardens or play golf or whatever.
I love my holidays and whilst I can I will and the MH allows me to roam as I please, oh yes, book ferry, Cornwall booked for June, Peterborough April, etc.

I read about the vast travels some of these Funsters get up to.
They obviously aren't worried about spending the kids inheritance, they are milking life for all it's worth, :thumb: we get just 1 chance.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

I have to have a car as well as a motorhome and this sounds like it would help me out no end.

quote fro
Rid
Another contributor for us is that we don't pay any more for tax or insurance as we use the same number plates from my car so this is a total of £25 admin p/year
m Ridgeway:

Think he lives in France , is it differnt over there definitely can't do it here.:Sad:

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
RUNNING COSTS WHATS THE USE OF WORRYING YOU COULD BE DEAD TOMORROW. JUST SPEND YOUR MONEY YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU AND YOUR KIDS WILL JUST BLOW THE LOT ON SEX, DRUGS, AND ROCK AND ROLL.SO GET ON WITH LIFE AND ENJOY.LET THEM YOU OWE MONEY TO WORRY ABOUT IT (THEY CANT KILL YOU) BUT THEY MIGHT? FUN!!!FUN!!!FUN!!!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Tick is right in his own way. None of us know what is round the corner. We buy motorhomes cos we can afford them but five years down the line something can happen, out of our control, and BANG it becomes another financial worry .... so enjoy it as much as you are able whilst you can and love the new horizons it takes you to. :Smile:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
RUNNING COSTS WHATS THE USE OF WORRYING YOU COULD BE DEAD TOMORROW. JUST SPEND YOUR MONEY YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU AND [HI]YOUR KIDS WILL JUST BLOW THE LOT ON SEX, DRUGS, AND ROCK AND ROLL[/HI].SO GET ON WITH LIFE AND ENJOY.LET THEM YOU OWE MONEY TO WORRY ABOUT IT (THEY CANT KILL YOU) BUT THEY MIGHT? FUN!!!FUN!!!FUN!!!

Hah, no chance, beat them to it on that one !!!!

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

quote fro
Rid
m Ridgeway:

Its a Swiss thing, not sure if other European countries have similar although the UK for sure does not.

We share plates between vehicles and pay the rate of the higher vehicle, in our case a Land Rover Discovery, it's rated as higher cost, risk etc and so there is no additional tax or insurance to pay. I swap the plates over before each trip so we can only drive one vehicle at a time. It's a great system for people with 2nd vehicles that have limited use.

All is not roses: the road tax for the Discovery is £1k a year,, hence you almost need to have a 2nd car to justify it...

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Prompted by this thread I just spent some time doing come costings.
I separated the cost of purchase against annual running costs as I would expect to see a return on this after depreciation. I have not factored depreciation in at all.

I worked out my annual running costs

Hab check 140
Service 200
MOT 50
Insurance & Breakdown 350
Storage 520
Travel insurance 80

Total 1340

We plan on spending around 43 nights in the van this year, 26 of which will be in Europe (France and Belgium) 17 in the UK, I added to this expected fuel cost based on 136.00 per litre, I also included predicted camping fees and spending money expecting to eat out at least every other day and live well shopping at Carrefour (Lidls in the UK) lol.

My estimate for this came to 3400 making a grand total of 4740. Breaking this down it comes to 110 per night for two of us.

43 nights(26 in Europe) at £55 per person per night based on two of us, including all fuel, insurance and spending money.

As I said I haven't factored in depreciation as its a bit of an unknown. If I did at say £2000 a year this would bring the cost up to 156.7 or £78.35 per person per night (based on two people)

Interesting to work it all and of course its based on estimates etc....but gives me a general idea and I think its pretty good value .

cheers Steve

Ps. I also included tunnel costs as this is my preferred method of travelling to France.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back