Motorhome costs

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chaser, Mar 22, 2014.

1. chaser

chaser Funster

In a thread today on tyres someone said it's only £100 a year to change your tyres but have you ever thought about all these "only" prices in a year
    £500 tax and insureance
    £1600 diesel
    £40 test
    £200 service
    £50 gas
    £50 battery
    £100tyres
    Say £3000 there before you turn a wheel and when you are talking £15 a night for site fees for say 10 weeks that's another £1000 and some pay a lot more than this, so say £5000 a year that's £100 a week without buying it in the first place, and some people believe it's cheap holidays :Eeek:
    Before you all flame me , I know it's your money to spend how you want, and I do it as well but it wants some thinking about when you add it all up:Doh:

• Like Like x 4
  2. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

That's one hell of a lot of diesel for going nowhere:Eeek:

Seriously thought, try not to think about it, it'll drive you mad,

• Like Like x 4
  3. philw111

philw111 Funster

You need to deduct holiday costs if you didn't have the motorhome - including fuel and running costs if you used a car to get to/from the airport. I also deduct the cost of owning a car as the motorhome is my runaround.

It's not nearly as expensive as you think :Smile::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

tax and insurance a bit high, gas too high and you don't need a new battery and tyres every year.

5. chaser

chaser Funster

Gas is only 2 bottles a year tax and insurance is £220and£280 tyre price is averaging over 6years same as for battery over 3 years
    :Doh:
    Diesel is £80 a fill about 20 times a year , I never even got round to ferries and tolls.
    Only taking my costs, others are obviously different

6. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

But full timing might cost you less as you don't buy stuff on impulse - you always have to think of the weight and where to store it!

• Like Like x 4
  7. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Depreciation :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stevewin999

Stevewin999 Read Only Funster

There is no doubt that a motorhome costs money to have and run. Especially an RV. I am fortunate enough to have an RV although not brand new I am pleased with it and accept the costs to go with it.
    However if you think they are an expensive toy, I also have a boat (not showing off) now they are very expensive to keep and use. I don't want to do a run down of the costs but here's just 2! Berthing £3500. Fuel £1000 to fill the tank and it will cover 265mls on that. Time for a gin and tonic to ease the pain lol!:helptitanic::helptitanic:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We very rarely pay for staying overnight and would never pay £15 :Eeek:
    My insurance is £200
    Tax £165
    No mot for another 27 months
    Approx £100 per month on diesel so far.
    Service around £250.
    Gas and other stuff. £?
    So far ( since last June, we've spent around 90 nights in the van exactly where we wanted to be and if we didn't like it we moved.

Cost of our last holiday abroad without the van for 2 weeks. £2500.

Van wins. Cost comes way down the list below happiness.

Allan

• Like Like x 4
  10. chaser

chaser Funster

Cost of our last holiday abroad without the van for 2 weeks. £2500.

Van wins. Cost comes way down the list below happiness.

Allan[/QUOTE]

Agree with you , wasn't complaining just adding it up , but our last holiday in albufarer in jan Ryan air , sol e mar £300 for two for a week

• Like Like x 1
  11. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

If you buy your beer at Pidou at £11 for 24 and your wine at Lidl and Aldi for 2 euros per bottle you are almost breaking even.

Yes, I know you have to drink a lot of beer to make it balance but I'm prepared to put in the effort. Also makes sense to stock up on Vodka in Spain at 3.85 euros.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

My wife pays :thumb: :Laughing: I just do all the work and mods and driving. I love it :Cool:
    We are gas only and as we use all year around we use way more gas but only at 64.7p per litre :Wink:

13. chaser

chaser Funster

We very rarely pay for staying overnight and would never pay £15

Agree with you there as well but whenever I say it's too much on here everyone has a wobbler :BigGrin:

14. chaser

chaser Funster

:thumb::thumb:
    But we go for the ones that are one euro:thumb:

15. movan

movan Funster Life Member

:Sad:Well, I am behind you all the way.... I obviously pay too much for my insurance so will be coming to ask you all for advice when the time comes up. And please tell me how you get an MOT for 27 months at a time... I pay forty pounds a year. . any advice welcome.

I can't deduct the cost of a normal holiday .. I cannot remember when I last had a normal holiday ... have struggled for years.

I am not complaining, just going through bad spell and thinking may have to sell motorhome... I too have been breaking down costs... and it isn't good.

I think there is a thread somewher on how to save money on motorhome costs...

• Like Like x 1
  16. chaser

chaser Funster

Joy, don't get down, and think hard before you think of selling, if you havnt had a holiday for years , are you not going to get away at all without your mh, if you do sell will you ever be able to get back into mhs, very unlikely at the prices .
    I wasn't complaining, just stating facts as they apply to us.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Thats less than 2 mpg (£3.75 per mile):Eeek:
    I just couldn't do it, even if I won the lottery, that would cause sleepless nights.

• Like Like x 2
  18. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

In my case, it is my everyday vehicle, insurance £211 is cheaper than my Volvo Estate was, tax £220 , Volvo £280, fuel 35-37 mpg, Volvo 30-33 mpg, I also get the pleasure of going out for days in comfort, making drinks etc, there is never any public loo`s when you need one, if there is they are usually in a car park so have to pay parking fees just to use the loo, not so when you have your own, then of course the holidays, being able to stop over when visiting family and friends , if they haven`t the room, I could go on about the benefits but you all know them anyway, so I feel that I am quid's in. :thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 4
  19. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Van is 9 months old. Doesn't need an mot till it's 3rd birthday.
    Allan

• Like Like x 1
  20. lorger

lorger Funster

We have done very rough calculations in the past and we reckon all the cost as taken up by the savings we make on holidays.

For instance we can do a 3 week summer holiday for £1800 everything including how much would that cost for 3 in a nice hotel. I'd reckon about £4000 so there's £2200 we have to spend on the MH.

Also the experiences and place we have visited as a family you couldn't put a price n it and the outlook our daughter now has on life and traveling she would never have got sitting on the same beach in Spain year in year out.

Also

Waking up to golden eagle 10yards from MH on Lewis. Priceless
    Our daughters smiles as we visit yet another country. Priceless
    Winter nights in the uk playing board games that you never find time for at home again Priceless.

I'm sure you could all add to this list motorhoming isn't just a holiday thing its a way of life and if we had to sell this one I'd buy an older and cheaper one. We actually did think of selling up to release the capital for a building project and couldn't do it.

• Like Like x 8