Motorhome collection/delivery

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wiljoy, Sep 22, 2012.

1. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

I have just had a van collected from Surrey and delivered to Durham. The cost for me to carry out this operation was working out at over £300. After contacting a company called XL Transport the job was carried out much, much cheaper.
    The owner, David Barker, was a true professional from the first phone call to delivery.
    It was collected when he said along with a phone call to give an estimated delivery time and it arrived at my door 7 hours later. Included in the price was fully comp. insurance and fuel, as it wasn't taxed he used his trade plates.
    He operates all over Europe as well as the UK and was one of the most reliable companies I have had the pleasure to deal with.
    So if you need it moved give him a try.
    Tel 07588 534088 or email him at xlcartransport@gmail.com

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

dont know how they could do it at £300.... never mind less.

when i did recovery ('98 to '02) we charged £1 per mile (return) for those without recovery option who wanted taking home.

that return trip would have cost you around £550 back then :Eeek:

3. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Signs of the times.
    It was going to cost me £300 to collect, £200 for air and train, then fuel plus insurance. They did the job for £160, yes unbelievable. In my trade as a signwriter back in the 90's I was signing a LWB Transit for £180 and now some are charging less than £100.

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

sounds like slave labour to me.....

the fuel cost would be around £65....cheap train ticket home, maybe £50 so an 8hr day for £45..........I wouldnt do it for, basically, pocket money :Eeek:

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

just about minimum wages John.. lot's of folk get little more .. :Sad:

6. Terry

Terry Funster

Prob hitched it home with trade plates so extra £50 in his pocket :Wink:
    terry

7. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Just out of interest o all posts I dropped the driver at Durham station. He was catching a train to Doncaster to collect another car for delivery to London then picking another up to bring to Newcastle. Next week he is delivering a vehicle to Southern Italy and collecting one from the same town to bring back. He estimates to be back home by Wednesday/Thursday. I cannot help but laugh, as the truckers are limited to such a short driving day and these couriers just cover thousands of miles unhindered. They to can fall asleep but as not restricted to hours or miles.

8. sedge

sedge Funster

A friend of ours worked for a firm delivering and collecting cars, as he was bored once he'd retired. Collecting, they'd often have to do a detour on the way back to pick up a driver who had delivered one somewhere else. Got an idea it was summat to do with Securicor as he worked for them pre retirement as a van driver - parcels etc, not money!

Or maybe the car people just liked taking on ex Securicor as long as they hadn't been sacked LOL, cos they'd know they must be pretty honest?

No idea what he was paid but he only worked a couple of days a week so as not to affect his pension etc.