Motorhome/caravan

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Ivory55, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Is it me or was it a lot simpler with the caravan ? No trouble with 12v or solar panels , no egr valves. I guess it's me as its all stuff I do not seem to understand, but makes me think it was less hassle with a caravan.

2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

You still need 12 volts with a caravan and a solar panel help be it on a motorhome or caravan, the other stuff ECU, EGR valves etc are all on the tow car so not much to choose from that point.

Martin

3. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Hi, never had solar then just used sites and plugged in to the mains. Am wondering if that is the easy answer.

4. GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

I suppose it depends on how you are going to use your MH. If you are only ever going to be staying where you have an EHU then why would you bother with solar?
    I think the benefit comes from the fact that you have the option to choose whether you stay on sites with EHU or spread your wings to more informal places etc

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

if you are a site sitter then caravan however if you like to wild camp, maybe more around and tour then a motorhome simple really. It all depends on that umbilical cord. tethered or free?

• Like Like x 1
  6. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

My view is that most motorhome electrical systems are not fit for purpose from the factory.
    Load them up with all the usual motorhome goodies and problems result.
    It is easy to create conflicts in the wiring by connecting accessories.

A caravan on hookup rarely needs any extra systems added.

7. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

We like quiet and hassle free where ever that is. If something is aggro it tends to be got rid of , be it car , washing machine etc etc.

8. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

We wild camp in our caravan !
    In answer to the grey waste police, we store it until we can dispose of it correctly ! :whistle2::whistle2::whistle2:

9. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

If you prefer to be on sites, then a caravan is probably best as everything you need is to hand and you have the car to get about in.
    If you like to avoid sites and free camp then a Motor Home is best for that.
    I have switched back to a caravan after 8 years with a Motor Home and would not switch back to a Motor Home again.
    At one stage I had both.
    I can free camp in the caravan, as I have an on board water supply, but generally I only do that at the ferry terminals.
    I miss not being able to use the Aires, in France for example, but only slightly.

:cooler:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Deffo think it's how you want to holiday. If you want to move every day/two days then a MoHo, if you want to pitch up for a week/fortnight then a caravan. We have now done both and when we had the kids with us caravan was ideal, now we've got rid of them it's all change and our MoHo is ideal for what we want. :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. snowdrops

snowdrops Funster Life Member

We've done both and would never go back to a caravan. Costs a fortune to camp and you're just in a cramped mini-home. Prefer freedom to stop, sleep and take off without having to mess about with winding legs etc. Don't even get wet :D We use the bikes a lot more than we would with a caravan too, which is fab in France.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Is all this hassle as you perceive it personal experience?

13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i get away almost every winter . hardly ever use sites or aires just wild/free camp where ever i want . mind you have to want to be in a place that doesnt bother others . seem to manage it most of the time.dont need ehu. always easy to get water and always a proper place to tip my waste . every town village can have it all.

• Like Like x 1
  14. musson

musson Funster

Change to MH 18months ago on second one now,I would not go back to caravan, we use the solar panel on rallies.I always take generator but have yet to use it.we find it lot easier, drop car of at compound pick up MH no legs etc to jack up.We use electric bikes to get around I am however have a A frame fitted to my car but will not use it every time we use the MH. as above post the tow car can also break down.

15. mariner

I don't see how you can get to see much of where you are, if you are on the move every day, or even every two days.

16. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Well it means you can see a little of a lot of places rather than a lot of one place. Horses for courses. (y):D

• Like Like x 4
  17. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

When we had the caravan the kids were at home and we stayed on sites all the time. Now just the 2 of us we got the motorhome which we enjoy apart from the hassle with 12v and egr on the engine, none of which we had when caravaning as on site all the time. I know now older I would not enjoy the big sites as all we want is quiet now.

18. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I like to drive throughout europe without having to book anywhere. Tuggers generally are tied to using campsites and thus a lot of pre planning.
    Caravan systems are still 12 volt.
    If you have EGR issues get someone to blank it off for you.

19. mariner

It doesn't cost a fortune to camp in a caravan, in fact it's the same price as a Motor Home, unless you always free camp, in which case a Caravan can't compete.
    I've seen plenty of Caravans free camping over the years on my travels around Europe, though I doubt I would do it myself.
    I know of a couple who free camped around Morocco, in a Caravan.
    CL\CS in the UK and Acsi abroad, how cheap do you want it?
    Cramped mini-home?
    I bet there is more living space in my caravan, than many of the Motor Homes owned by people on here.

I don't get all the rattles and bangs either when traveling, or the draughts, just the cossetted luxury of my Mercedes-Benz C Class.

Don't pre-plan either just roll up at a site, never failed to get on one yet, home or abroad.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Out of interest how big a van can you tow with a c class merc ? Cheers